“Decent but not great”

Hyatt Place Houston Bush Airport
Ranked #88 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Room was generally clean but we experienced a plumbing problem during our stay. We were first told to expect someone in 20 minutes. After a follow up inquiry, and 90 minutes, someone finally did so up. Only one elevator worked. No hot water for showers. Breakfast food service was awful (out of coffee, out of cream, out of food items, etc.)

• Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We came to visit Houston for the Texas Bowl game and chose this hotel because of its great rate of $60/nt. Even at this great price, I wouldn't ever stay here again. When we arrived at the hotel on Friday night, the woman who checked us in was a bit rude. I wouldn't call her angry but she wasn't friendly by any means. We've had issues with breakfast being available at Hyatt Place so I specifically asked her if breakfast would be an issue for us if we came down at 9 o'clock the following morning. The clerk briefly look at her computer, as if to check occupancy levels and then responded, no you should be fine.

The room was large and fit our needs perfectly. It was clean and the beds were very comfortable.

The following morning is when we started really started experiencing the ineptness of this hotel management. At 9am, we went downstairs for breakfast. Upon arrival there were about 15 people standing in the serving area with empty plates and forks waiting for food. With exception of orange juice, everything was out of stock. Even the coffee was gone. After waiting for two minutes and hearing other guests getting upset, I saw a staff member taking the trash out of the bin. When I asked her if they would be bringing any more food out, she explained that they were completely out of food. This is one hour before the breakfast service was to be complete. She said there wasn't anymore eggs or muffins. When I asked about the coffee she just shrugged her shoulders. Upset, I took my family back upstairs with intentions of showering and grabbing breakfast some where else.

When we started the shower, there wasn't any hot water. We called to the front desk and the clerk said that they were having boiler issues and it would be some time before we got hot water. At this point $60/nt didn't seem like such a good deal. I had prepaid our stay through the Hyatt website, so I went downstairs to speak with a manager.

When I got downstairs, I was told by the front clerk that there wasn't a manager on duty. I explained issues that we've been having and told him that we would not be staying another night and I wanted a refund for our entire stay. the clerk explained that he would not be able to authorize that only the general manager would be able to provide that to me. I asked he call the general manager to get authorization and he did, but the GM would not return his phone call.

My wife has Platinum status with Hyatt, so as we packed up I called their hotline to see if they could resolve this for me. As usual, the hotline provided exceptional service and was able to connect with the GM who authorized a refund for our unused night. I find it a bit peculiar that the hotline was able to reach the GM but his own staff could not reach him.

We left and received a phone call from the hotel later that day confirming our phone number and email address because the GM wanted to reach out to us by Monday (two data later). It became clear to us at that moment that here lies the issues with this hotel. The GM is not interested in reaching out to disgruntled guests who leave the property before the end of their stay, until it is convenient to him. And that's exactly what happened. We never heard from the GM, even to this writing half way through the following Monday. This property is extremely mismanaged and I highly recommend you pay a few extra dollars and stay at the hotel we moved to (Drury Inn Galleria) which surprisingly was one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was our first time staying in Houston, TX. We wanted to visit Houston a few days before we headed for our cruise ship. We thought that for the price staying at this hotel sounded wonderful. We contacted the hotel from the airport. They were having shuttle issues so David asked us to take a taxi and the hotel would cover the cost. David was waiting at the door when we arrived to cover all costs of the ride, great job David!!!! First impressions are very important and you got a big 10 plus in our eyes The room was lovely and the customer service was great. My husband is a big breakfast person, you know the type; eggs, bacon, biscuit and gravy, potatoes, etc. Breakfast at the hotel was fine, not wonderful, but for the price pretty good ... Breakfast consisted of: cereal, yogurt, bagels, cream cheese or peanut butter, canned fruit. They rotated a selection of daily pancakes, waffles, french toast, plus a type of egg dish similar to eggs Florentine. Eggs and spinach on toast with a slice of cheese, or eggs and a slice of ham with cheese on toast. Note: the eggs are cooked over hard. They also had juice and milk, plus coffee and tea. Can you really ask for more selections. The hotel is located outside of downtown Houston, in a business district. Even though their shuttle service is willing to drive you to any location within 5 miles of the hotel, we really needed to rent a vehicle to go any place of interest. We spent one day downtown, ate at the Spaghetti Warehouse, great food, then off to the Houston Aquarium. About a 30 minute trip when traffic was not heavy, great day! Day two we spent in Old Town Spring, Spring Texas, just about 20 minute drive from the hotel. Great little town with all types of shops. If I was to return to this hotel, I would rent a car due to the location of the hotel. Plus have a good GPS system. This is a great hotel for a business trip ... outside of downtown.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Called to ask about airport shuttle before I booked it, was told yes we have a shuttle. Get to the hotel and sign up for the shuttle at 4am "our shuttle doesn't start till 6" and it's a $30 cab ride to go 10 minutes!!! Yet no one cared to help or offer for a cab when they are listed as an airport hotel. Asked about restaurants or a recommendation list for restaurants and the staff just walked away. I was there for a short overnight for work. The hotel was great. Location is near restaurants and very comfortable. But needs a new professional staff.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank StephMarie8504
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This property is about six years old, but in outstanding condition. The rooms are all suites which are very spacious with a large sitting area, and separate work area, and bedroom area. Our room was spotlessly clean. The bed liens, pillows, and towels were of high quality and again very clean.

I loved the size of the room but the arrangement is a little strange with the sink and vanity directly in front of the bed. If you are single this is not problem, but for couples with one getting up early the light may keep the person in bed awake. The shower and toilet area are exceedingly small. I would much prefer a separate bathroom but these are indeed minor complaints.

Every person on staff which I encountered was extremely friendly, helpful, and professional.

The hot skillet breakfast items were excellent, both the selection and quality. Of course they had the standard cold item selections as well. Their Italian coffee was fantastic !!! It is dark roast and very rich in flavor. Most people will probably find it " To strong " but I throughly enjoyed every cup !

I HIGHLY recommend this hotel whether on business or pleasure. It is very close to the IAH if you are flying in or out of Houston.

Room Tip: If road noise bothers you be sure to ask for a room on the far North end of the building. The South...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GilB867
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Overnighted here and couldn't find a single thing to complain about. The hotel is clean, well maintained and superbly run by a dedicated team of professionals. The suites are spacious and comfortable with one of the biggest TV's I have ever seen in a hotel. The hotel is well located and there is a free shuttle service that will take you anywhere within a 4 mile radius of the hotel so if you fancy going out to a restaurant or a bar they will happily take you. The staff are fantastic and seem to muck in and do any job that is asked of them. Leahjoi our particular favourite checked us in on arrival, told us about all the good local restaurants, served us a beer when we went to the bar and even drove us to our restaurant in the shuttle bus when we decided to go out and eat.....what a star.
If you are staying in Houston at any time give this hotel a go......it's well worth trying.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IanWD
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel is homey-clean- the staff are friendly, willingly ready to assist with any request -watching them work there is no division of duties and responsibilites- they work together as a team. It was a very pleasant experience staying here for 2 nights.
enjoyed a wonderful interaction with Alexis, a college age staff member, whose interpersonal skills and eye contact made us feel like long time friends.She is an asset to the team and company.

saw family with children, who were too late for breakfast, Alexis offered fruit and muffins for the children. nice touch..

if you're planning to use city transportation, they will shuttle you to a nearby bus stop where you can begin your journey. when you return, with a phone call they will pick you up at the bus stop. it was fun to travel on the bus with the local people and catch glimpses of daily city life.

1 elevator of the 2 elevators was not working- and than for a short while the working elevator was out of service- wished that management called each room or left a phone message indicating elevator out of service. for somebody who can't walk stairs, this is a problem and they should be sure when making reservations that they might need to be on a floor where their medical problems will not hinder their ability to function because of unexpected lack of service.
new situations arise with travel which should make all of us more aware of our needs and surroundings and alert us to take personal responsibility

Room Tip: be aware of your personal needs to insure your well being.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple