“Okay if you need to be in North Houston”

Houston Marriott North
Ranked #123 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Okay if you need to be in North Houston”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on business to Houston. Fairly easy to reach from the airport however the location is not well marked; you need to turn at the entrance of Greenspoint but there is no Marriott sign there. If you miss the turn it will take you 15 minutes to make several U-turns and navigate the nutty Houston traffic.

This property has a decent executive lounge, although on the small side. Pour your own drinks and you can get a decent glass of wine or shelf liquor for a standard price. Snack foods and breakfast were okay, average.

Beds are nice Marriott quality but rooms are worn. There is sun tinting on the windows that is peeling off. The first room they gave me smelled like a nursing home. After switching I got a decent room. Note these rooms have below-window A/C and heat like a Courtyard property, they do not have wall-enclosed systems.

Staff is friendly but not top-quality. When checking in I asked for a room facing the rear, away from the freeway, and the receptionist turned to her co-worker and said "do you know which rooms face the rear? and the co-worker replied "uh, no, I don't". They finally called the manager who said she "thinks those are low even numbers". Turns out she was right, but they were a little bit green on this basic topic.

The gym is average and has several treadmills/ellipticals but not much for weights. The pool is okay and extends half indoors & outdoors.

As noted by other reviewers there are some weird safety things, ie. all of the doors have an extra strip of metal over the lock area to prevent break-ins, and the entire hotel property is surrounded by a metal fence. However, I saw no actual reason to be concerned. The surrounding area looks like normal commercial business. Maybe there was some over-reaction at one time.

I would stay here again if on similar business. There aren't many better options in the immediate area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank bradleystat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Southampton, UK
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Four night stay on business whilst working in Houston. Flew into George Bush airport from LHR. Hotel easy to find, facilities clean and operational. The swimming pool and jacuzzi were clean, warm and most welcoming. We ate in the Den most evenings and also chose to have breakfast here. The staff were friendly and entertaining. The food was excellent, in particular the sweet potato fries. I hope to return in 2014 for a similar business trip.

We were also warned regarding the mall around the corner, therefore didn't venture around the local area. To be honest, I did not feel vulnerable in the hotel or outside in the car park.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank djcarlos2001
Boston,MA
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I was placed here for 2 weeks by my company , and I was quite pleased. The staff was helpful, not fast but helpful. The facility was clean and in the perfect location for me. Worth checking out. There are plenty of things to do near by as well.

• Stayed April 2013
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I Stayed here for a night in the weekend. The front lobby is clean and their setup is inviting. The room was clean upon arrival and the bed was comfortable. The elevators have a security component to them. That made me feel safe. The staff was helpful as it was a last minute booking.

• Stayed November 2012
Collinwood, Tennessee
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel looked clean but for the price we paid I expected more. My husband got over 10 bed bug bites. When I called the hotel they said they would let the manangement know and they hadn't had that problem for over four months. Not something I would recommend. People were nice and accomodating but bed bugs are not something I want to pay for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Linda G M
Jane H, Manager at Houston Marriott North, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Linda GM...Thank you for your most recent stay with us. We take these reviews very serious as well as any allegations of bed bugs. Please be assured we inspected the room immediately when these concerns were presented the day of your departure. Our pest control did not find any indication of bed bugs, or insects. I understand that management has also reimbursed you for this stay due to this unfortunate incident prior to this review of our hotel. I can assure you and anyone else that stays in our hotel; we do not have any bed bugs or insect infestation in any of our rooms.

Kind regards,
Hotel Management
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The rooms extremely nice, clean and updated. The service and employees was so very pleasant. My husband thought our stay was the best father day gift ever! The next big celebration instead of going downtown. We will certainly be choosing Marriott Houston North especially for our out of town guest Thank you, Marriott !!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The customer service in this hotel made my whole trip. Angel and Joe were friendly and overly accomadating. Joe spent over an hour with me trying to get my room mix up (not the hotel's fault, but my company) straight. He kept me laughing when I wanted to cry and comped my breakfast for the next morning. The room was great when I finally got in it. But Joe is the reason I would come back. He made sure I didnt miss my shuttle to the airport and he never seemed frazzled and never made me feel as if I was inconveniencing him. Two thumbs up on customer service.

• Stayed June 2013