“Could not sleep - Choo Choo”

Best Western Windsor Suites
Ranked #275 of 510 Hotels in Houston
San Antonio, Texas
“Could not sleep - Choo Choo”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you are looking for a place to rest and you're a light sleeper like I am, this is not the place to be. Located right next to railroad tracks! About 2 to 3 trains pass the hotel between 2 am and 6 am and the conductors lay on the horn and they are loud. Needless to say this noise woke me up! Very frustrated and tired! Could not sleep like I wanted to. So if you think you'll be bother by loud noise like I was, this is not the place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Big Pine Key, Florida
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was looking for a place to stay while visiting my dad in Houston. The price was excellent compared to the other hotels that I checked out in the area. I was not thrilled with the location at first, as It is not easy to access off of Hwy. 6. Once I found my way around, it turned out not to be a big issue. The rooms were very clean and the staff was pleasant. Overall, I was pleased with my decision to stay three nights here as opposed to the higher priced hotels that I checked out in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Jasper National Park, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2012

It's a perfect location because you're near restaurants. Suites are more than comfortable. Great hot breakfast. They give you discounts for local eateries. Staff are adequate.
We like this hotel for business trips. Good value and a great breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here 1 night in June. It was close to home and as our AC was out and temps were over 100 we had to spend the night in a hotel. The property used to be much nicer but now the exterior is run down. Crumbling and missing concrete fencing all around the property, dead shrubs, etc. A minimal investment could really spruce up the exterior. Room interior was just ok. It too is overdue for an upgrade. Tired looking carpet, bathroomarea showing a lot of wear. AC unit was difficult to control for comfort. Sometimes it ran too long and sometimes not long enough to keep it cool, probably a thermostat issue that needs to be addressed. Toiletries are very basic. On the upside the front desk staff was efficient and friendly. The morning breakfast was unappealing. Instant coffee machine, the usual thawed out frozen pastries and some really unappetizing looking frozen omlette looking things. There are a number of close restaurants that are within walking distance, (Ihop, Chili's, Chuy's, Mamacitas, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Chipotle, Applebee's and others. Property is about 1 block off of Highway 290 and Highway 6.
Do not plan on returning here again and would not recommend to friends until this place is upgraded. The rate was good, about $80 with AAA rate.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Randall M
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed in the Jacuzzi suite. The first room they gave us had cracks deep enough the water was slipping out in the Jacuzzi tub. The shampoo and soap shelf was torn from the wall, and we were less than happy. I requested a different room (because when you make internet reservations no refund). We were given a key to a new room. The Jacuzzi tub was not cracked, so we moved all our stuff into the new room. We turned on the a/c and left to find dinner. When we came back, the room still wasn’t cool, the stuff we put into the refrigerator was room temperature, and the air conditioner was very loud. After defrosting the refrigerator and fiddling with the a/c a little we got everything working again, but the a/c was still very loud. Additionally the room was not as clean as you’d expect, and I just felt the total experience was very poor as a customer. For the over $100 per night price tag, it was simply ridiculous. I won’t be staying with Best Western again anytime soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2012

First of all the location sucks! It right by a freeway and railroads. All you hear is chooo chooo! All night! I came with my wife and kids, and we found this hotel online. The rooms look really nice online but thats all a joke. My microwave was not working and the toliet was running all night. The TV sucked! Now days its a ordinary thing to have flat screen tv's in hotel rooms. My room had a old box tv. The A/C in my room was making alot of noise. The next day I went to have breakfast which was decent, but I have seen better in other Best Westerns. The lobby was nice, and modern. On the other hand the staff was rude! The owners wife if I can recall, Rita was very rude. I told her about the rooms probelms and then I told her about the televisons and how they should change the outdated sets. She just went off on me telling me its not my buisness to tell her what to do. I was like really! I checked out the next day, and told myself im never coming back. I do NOT recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
Hampton Inn Houston Northwest
SpringHill Suites Houston Northwest/Cypress
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites / Houston NW
Days Inn & Suites Houston NW Cypress
Homewood Suites by Hilton Houston Northwest Cy-Fair
Courtyard by Marriott Houston Northwest/Cypress

Been to Best Western Windsor Suites? Share your experiences!