“Surprisingly good!”

Ranked #16 of 298 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This museum, owned by a funeral company, houses the largest collection of funereal artifacts in the U.S., traces the history of funeral services, displays historic hearses and provides memorabilia from funerals of the famous, such as Dwight Eisenhower, Martin Luther King Jr., John F. Kennedy and Elvis Presley.
Houston, Texas
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Surprisingly good!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My daughter (13) & I went to visit this museum during October when they also have a haunted house. I read the TripAdvisor reviews, and decided to give it a try! And, we were pleasantly surprised! There is a LOT of history in the museum - it isn't just about the history of funerals!

First of all, there are exhibits about quite a few of the presidents dealing with their deaths & funerals. For example, they have a gun similar to the one who killed Lincoln & a wax figure of him in his casket. They also have a small model of the train & hearse that carried his body & explain about the many stops that were made on the way to his final resting place.

We spent about half of our time in the area that dealt with the death of the various popes. Within this exhibit, you can do a scavenger hunt and hand it in for a percentage off of your purchases - I think it was 10%.

Another part of the museum I really liked was the Civil War area. It explains how embalming in America started at this time so bodies could be transported home to their loved ones!

And, throughout the museum are some incredibly amazing & strange hearses & caskets! There are plaques telling about each of these & others that tell some amazing facts

A really interesting museum that was surprisingly interesting! I think we spent about 2 hours there.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank DanaHouston

• Korean first
Rochester, Michigan
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“don't knock it until you try it”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The outside of the building is nothing to write home about, but once you are inside it is very interesting and informative. Genevieve was my tour guide. She is clear spoken and very knowledgeable. Learn about caskets, coffins, hearse for JFK and Ford, celebrity funeral memorabilia, the Pope, Day of the Dead, Ghana coffins, and much more. One of my favorite places visited for my week in TX.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank janet s
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Best part of our Houston trip!”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

What a surprise! We went there on a total lark- Ended up spending three hours touring the fantastic exhibits. The Web Site SUCKS- Do not let it detour you!! There is something for everyone! Car buffs will love the hearses, there is a great Egyptian exhibit- The deaths of the Presidents, and the big exhibit on the burial of the Pope. I loved the history of embalming the dead during the Civil War. Even a very sweet remembrance of our favorite TV animals. If you love history, you have got to go.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Flanders S
Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not at all gross, very interesting and educational as well.”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We went with a large group, a couple of seniors, four adults and six kids from age 9 to 17. All except one (a kid who truly hates museums) found something to interest them.

There is a fantastic collection of old hearses (cars) that any car buff will enjoy. I really enjoyed the specialty coffins from Ghana (I first heard about the museum from a Smithsonian article on these). Cars, onions, crabs….really neat and very different.

The museum is very tasteful, the creepiest thing was the floral displays made from hair. We spent 2.5 hours, I could easily have spent four, but the kids were getting hungry.

The sort of place you should certainly go to at least once!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank sorgec
customer99
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun place that so different!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This place certainly is different but interesting. I went with two teenagers who weren't crazy about it but we did learn a lot. I really liked the Pope part of the exhibit and the different caskets. Only complaint is I wish it was bigger.

Visited March 2013