“Awesome!”

Ranked #15 of 307 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This museum, owned by a funeral company, houses the largest collection of funereal artifacts in the U.S., traces the history of funeral services, displays historic hearses and provides memorabilia from funerals of the famous, such as Dwight Eisenhower, Martin Luther King Jr., John F. Kennedy and Elvis Presley.
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Never knew such a cool place existed just around the corner from home! I highly recommend this place, so much to see and learn.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I’ve been to LOTS of museums, but never one like this. Don’t be off-put by the subject matter! The collection of items is amazing in its comprehensiveness and diversity. The hearse collection is WOW. It goes from buggies to sleds to NUMEROUS cars to a multi-casket “bus”. All are impressively restored. My favorite exhibit was an interactive screen that let you guess what was on the tombstone of some famous celebrities. Most were pretty funny.

While everything is well-presented, I think the viewer experience would be enhanced if the museum offered the option of a headset. Many museums these days offer a headset which enables you to punch in the number of the item you are looking at and it tells you about that item.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Don't be afraid to visit this one of a kind museum that is worth the quick trip to North Houston to see.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I went to this museum with my 12-yr old daughter and 8-yr old son. They weren't really into the museum but I loved it, especially because it creeped them out at times! We went on a Saturday and it wasn't busy at all so we had plenty of time to explore. I love museums and it was great to experience one that was offbeat and not the typical history or science museum. My only complaint is that I was charged incorrectly; I later noticed they charged my daughter as an adult when the child price is for 12 and under.

1  Thank Esmi G
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stumbled across the reviews of this museum when I was looking for something to do which would be close to the airport in Houston on the day of my flight home. I opted to come here based on the rather tenuous link of having a friend whose husband works for a firm of funeral directors.
It was so interesting I didn’t need any sort of reason for coming. There was a fascinating array of funeral vehicles all of which are in beautiful condition. There were displays of memorabilia relating to various well known figures (some of whom I had not realised were dead – probably need to play closer attention) and a very interesting history of embalming. I found the exhibits on the Unknown Soldiers and the deaths of the Presidents particularly moving.
I suggest allowing at least 3 hours for a visit here. I was here for about 2 hours and it was not nearly long enough. There was a lot of information to read and absorb.
I have to mention that the lady who sold me my entry and sorted out my gift shop purchases was super helpful and I really appreciated it.

1  Thank mumontour08