The Houston Museum of Natural Science

from $62.00
from $10.70
from $22.67
4,939 results
All reviews butterfly exhibit egyptian exhibit paleontology hall ancient egypt gems and minerals energy hall dinosaur bones texas wildlife gem vault energy exhibit permanent exhibits imax theater all ages museum of natural science great exhibits special exhibit traveling exhibits
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I went there with a 2-yrs and a 5-yrs toddler and they loved it! Specially the dinosaur exhibition which is truly amazing! However, we felt a bit lost since signs are poorly placed around the museum. Support staff was all on their cell phones, not paying much attention to the visitors. Additionally, food options could be better...

Reviewed January 15, 2020 via mobile

Visited the museum with kids and grandkids to see the Art of the Brick special exhibit which presents art of Nathan Sawaya mase with Legos. He reproduces fine art masterpiece paintings and sculptures along with originals he creates. The man is a genius and his Lego art was way more creative and beautiful than I could have thought possible. It is interesting that looking at his art with my cellphone pictures is very different in texture than the perspective using the naked eye. I have attached pix of some of the pieces I enjoyed the most.
We also stopped to view the dinosaur exhibit and I was blown away. I have seen such exhibits in many museums but the variety and quality of the dinosaur and prehistoric mammal skeletons from different epochs and ecosystems was spectacular and the best I have ever seen.
The only issue I have is that so many of the exhibits are value adds where you have to pay extra to see them. The extra money spent on the Lego art was definitely worth it.

Reviewed January 15, 2020 via mobile

Really enjoyed the musuem with the fossils and dinosaurs fossil exhibit..nice architecture and layout. So much to see there from the Egyptian exhibit with real mummies to the beautiful gems/stones, and colorful mollusks. I definitely would go back there to visit again. I loved that museum.

Reviewed January 11, 2020

This is an outstanding natural science museum, with many fascinating exhibits to explore, appealing to all ages. It contains an excellent “cabinet of curiosities” exhibit, packed with items of interest; we always enjoy those. (There is also one of those at HMNS’s sister museum in Sugarland.) The African Wildlife and Texas Wildlife galleries were well done. The Americas and the Ancient Egypt galleries are large and filled with wonderful artifacts, many of the type featured in fine arts museums. The paleontology collections here are expansive, i.e. dinosaur skeletons, fossils, ammonites, petrified wood, etc.

A favorite gallery of ours featured Malacology (the study of mollusks and their shells). This contained a huge exhibit of colorful shells, from miniscule to quite large, nicely displayed on black backgrounds. Included were rare and exotic specimens, including recent finds. Shells are truly beautiful, especially viewed up close.

The Gems & Minerals gallery here is outstanding; there are several large dark rooms showcasing beautiful specimens. A Faberge exhibit was filled with exquisite pieces of jewelry, presentation boxes, gifts to royalty, etc.—amazing workmanship.

We did not purchase tickets to the special exhibits or shows, but we did visit the Butterfly Center. This area contained kid-friendly and engaging exhibits on insects in addition to a tropical conservatory filled with butterflies. This area was nice, but the extra admission charged for this seemed too high.

The day we visited, the museum was crowded with families, and finding free tables in their café area was difficult. We parked in their adjacent parking garage for $10, and spent five full hours here. The museum’s elevators are slow, and some don’t go up to top floors. This is a big place, with several floors of galleries, but there are no maps provided here for visitors; however, at the museum's website, there is a detailed visitor’s guide with floor plan drawings. Without having that along with us, however, I suspect we missed a gallery or two.

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed January 8, 2020

Great visit to a wonderfully laid out museum...parking way to expensive, $20...but exhibits terrific...enjoyed special exhibits the most. Definitely would go again...