All reviews olive garden front desk breakfast buffet living room embassy suites business center home away from home coffee maker enjoyed my stay shuttle service freeway
Selected filters
Reviewed April 7, 2019

I came to Houston for a training class and booked a stay here for 5 nights. Check in was quick and easy, the two gentlemen up front were pleasant and helpful. The rooms here are large with a bedroom and separate living area. The refrigerator and microwave worked well. The bed was comfortable and there was a large selection of tv channels. The only thing of note in the room, was there were some stains on the comforter, shower curtain, and a towel I had. The air temperature gauge for the heat and air was not correct (it said it was 88 degrees in the room, it wasn't) but the temperature in the room was comfortable so that what's matters to me.

For breakfast, I had received some breakfast vouchers to eat at the buffet. The lady server was very nice and friendly. The breakfast buffet had many options (eggs, pancakes, cereal, pastries, Oatmeal, fruit, etc.). During my stay I also ate dinner at the hotel 3 times, the meals were very good and fairly large in size. I had a few drinks at the bar throughout the week. Happy hour prices were good and the drinks were great. Shoutout to Anthony and the manager who made great drinks were just great to talk to. They definitely made my stay here enjoyable.

After too much food throughout the week I also utilized the workout room here. It was always clean and the machines were all functional. I never made it in the pool but when I touched it, it was warm and always seemed clean when I walked by.

Our training class used the shuttle service each day to go to class and to be picked up. Both vans that were used for shuttle service were clean. The drivers were great and always very nice. They would always promptly pick us up after our training ended.

Other observations: There are 4 elevators and as mentioned in previous reviews at the time of my stay only 2 of these 4 elevators were working. Luckily my room was next to the working set of elevators so it wasn't a hindrance. There was a cold front that came through when I was there and the bar/restaurant areas were pretty cold that first night I was there. There is some road noise I could hear from my room but it is right off the interstate so it's not unexpected.

Overall I enjoyed my stay here and I would stay at this hotel again if I end up in this area of Houston.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2019

When we arrived, the hotel was obviously full and busy. We got checked in, but we found that 3 of the 4 elevators were not working. Good thing we were only on the second floor. The amount of noise in the lobby was tremendous even at 2 am. Fortunately, if you stayed in the back part of your room, it was hardly noticeable. The room was pretty clean. This is a former Embassy Suites, so it is a great room layout. Same room amenities as an Embassy Suites. The parking lot is covered with security cameras and I believe a security guard, but that didn't stop 5 trucks from being broken into in the middle of the night. The second night was even more packed as people decided to park in places that were not parking spots, so that made it very difficult for people to get out of their legitimate spots the next morning. By the second evening, they did have one more working elevator, though, so that took some of the load off going up and down. But 7 or 8 floors need all four elevators working. Ice machines are only on odd floors, so with one working elevator, you were hiking the stairs one way or another from our floor. The breakfast was fine, but they had one guy and the cook working. Now, for a full hotel, that's no bueno. Felt bad for the guy trying to seat people and bus tables. They lacked silverware and a number of the food options in the breakfast bar thanks to the shorthandedness. But the guy working by himself was working his tail off.

Overall, I'm not sure I would select this hotel again. I would probably call and see how the facilities are working and what the occupancy is first. If you just want a clean room to get in and out of, then you are probably fine here.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Suites Houston - Near Sugar Land, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2019

Dear scottfI2371GY,

Thank you for your kind review of your stay with us at our Crowne Plaza Suites Houston - Near Sugar Land.

We appreciate your very positive comments regarding the service of our staff and condition as well as the cleanliness of our room. I will gladly share your laudatory review with our personnel. I have also taken note of your review about that our elevators were not working and that there were not enough personnel at the breakfast area. Please be assured that I will recommend it to our management for betterment. I apologize for the inconvenience.

We would be pleased to welcome you back soon and we would be happy to assist you for any further concerns and requests.

Best Regards,

Ben W.

Reviewed March 16, 2019 via mobile

Our truck was broken into overnight. They offered nothing to assist in the situation. The place smelled. 3 out of 4 elevators did not work. It was not clean. It was noIsy. Front desk not helpful. This is the worst experience ever.

Date of stay: March 2019
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Suites Houston - Near Sugar Land, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2019

Hi 547kimberlyk,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I am sorry there were some disappointing aspects to your recent stay with us. I would like to follow-up on your experienced and have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay.

We look forward to your response and being of further assistance.

Connie D

Reviewed March 5, 2019 via mobile

This was my family's first time visiting Houston & chose this hotel to stay in for our 3 day getaway. First off, checking in took some time bc I was told that my reservation was not in "their" system but was actually "stuck" in an external system. How is that possible if I called YOUR reservation number to book the stay? I let that one slide bc the rate actually came out just a little cheaper. Mind you, the lobby is nice and all, looking from the outside, it gives you a perception that the rooms will be nice...NOT!! We were on the 5th floor & the elevators on the side we were actually on did not work so we had to walk completely around to get to our room.

Once inside, my son noticed that the room smelled weird, but I overlooked that thinking its bc it could have just been not used for a while. As we settling in, the tv in the sitting area did not work, my daughter played around with it and it finally came on. The tv in the bedroom did not come on at all. I called down to let them know maybe 5 or 6 times and each time was told they were gonna send someone up to fix it. One guy did come, he unplugged it from the wall, plugged it back in and said ok its gonna work now and he hurried and left the room. We had already did the same thing he did & I told him that but he said again to give it time to boot back up. We had to call him back in bc the tv was doing the same thing. He came back and messed around with it for a while and pulled some wires out the wall(photo below)and said he will be back he had to go on the roof to check something. He left and never came back!! My children saw him at the bar on their way to the pool. Our calls for servicing the tv after that went unanswered.

The heater did not heat up the entire room, the sitting area had cold air blowing through it while the bedroom heat up. Called about that issue and was told that's the way the hotel was built back in the 80's and we have to close the vent in the sitting area and leave the bedroom door open so the heat can move to the sitting area. That was not working for us and we spent the night FREEZING with 3 babies with us.

We could not enjoy the "heated pool " bc there was a crowd of people down there and the pool was not as heated as perceived.

The beds were hard and felt like we were laying on straight springs and even though the description says queen beds, they felt more like full size. My medium sized daughter in law did not have room on the bed for herself, a small 3yr old and a newborn!

Needless to say no one got any sleep & being we couldn't take anymore torture we was up at 4am packing up our things and checked out at 5:30am. How I wish we could of gotten a refund for that 1 night stay bc it was not up to par & ruined our whole trip. We just ended up driving back home very disappointed.

Trip type: Traveled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Suites Houston - Near Sugar Land, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2019

Hi Sensationaldiva44,

Thank you for posting your review.

Our goal is to help guests recharge and be inspired. I recognize your frustration regarding the delay at check-in and the response from our staff. Our service team are trained to give the best assistance, but did not live up to the expectations. I'm sorry this happened and that you encountered issues in the room.

I notified the hotel team, and I am positive that they will do something to prevent these from happening again.

I hope that you would give us another chance to host you again, so we can redeem ourselves.

Warm Regards,

Virgil Nerona

Reviewed March 1, 2019 via mobile

We spent two nights at this hotel for a Texans - Jaguars NFL game. We had stayed at this hotel numerous times in the past.

Our experience this time was dreadful. The hotel was very busy. There are four elevators in the hotel but only one was operational during our time there. The front desk staff told us management had not paid the elevator service company and thus the disruption. We were on the 8th floor and had to wait many minutes each time - as long as 15 minutes - very unacceptable.

Breakfast was part of our room rate. In the past, breakfast included an omelet station or eggs cooked to order - no longer offered.

It appears the current management is doing their best to maximize profits at the expense of their guests. We won’t go back to that hotel.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Suites Houston - Near Sugar Land, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2019

Hello Alanhimmelstein,

Reviews from frequent guests are important, thanks for staying with us again. I'm sorry to hear that your most recent experience fell short of expectations. The letdown caused by the condition of our elevators and the breakfast service are not what we pictured. Be assured that your feedback's been communicated with the management for prompt attention. It's through such that we get to improve our services so similar hiccups may be avoided.

Thanks for the candor. I hope we get to turn things more positively on your next stay.

Safe travels,