“Jade Buffet”

Jade Buffet
Ranked #15 of 25 Restaurants in Hondo
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Jade Buffet is an average Chinese Restaurant. It is not as good as what you would get in San Antonio. But if your driving on a road trip it's a quick pit stop. It is currently the better of the two Chinese buffets in Hondo. Try to go during lunch buffet there are more people then. Don't go unless there are at least five other vehicles in the parking lot. I try to follow the cook as they put things out. These are just tips for going to any buffet. If something is missing you can ask the owner and he will put it out for you. There specialty are shrimp dishes. Coconut shrimp is the local favorite. Barbecue chicken is not to good. I say to go for lunch because there are few people that go there for dinner which makes for cold food, but usually for lunch there are enough people that the food stays fresh. This is a good place to go if you have small children. We have a three year old since the restaurant is big and fast it is good if you have small ones. The restaurant does have a view of the train tracks if your interested. My son loves watching them.

1  Thank Jarvis O

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Food was cold. Soup was watered down. Crispy noodles were stale. The only thing I could recommend is the jade chicken. Everything else was not good at all. Even the sweet and sour sauce tasted funny...idk how you mess that up.
I won't come back.

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Everything was excellent. The restaurant is very clean with a nice appearance. There is a wide variety of foods to choose from including several types of shrimp and oysters on the half shell. I had the hot and sour soup loaded with mushrooms and it was outstanding. There were also quite a few different types of chicken, vegetables and desserts. A very pleasant and enjoyable dining experience. Price was quite reasonable for all that was offered.

2  Thank TXDiamondback
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Plenty of good food to choose from for a reasonable price. Better tasting choices than many of the chinese buffets in San Antonio. Pleasantly surprised by the selection and quality.

1  Thank William K
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We have eaten at Golden Dragon in Hondo, Lins in Uvalde, Hong Kong in Uvalde, Golden "something" in Uvalde....none compare to the freshness and quality of Jade Buffet. The waitress, who is a very nice Asian woman always greets us with a smile. She knows what we want to drink. She is always on the spot with the drink refills, as a matter of fact I dont ever remember running out of drink in the past 10 times we have eaten at Jades.
There is always fresh sushi rolls on the buffet. The rice is always fresh.
I don't want to say its authentic as I have probably never eaten "authentic" Chinese food, but as far as freshness and what most of us expect from a Chinese place in the USA this place is awesome! I think the Asian owner dont consider it authentic chinese....is general tso's chicken chinese? I don't know but Jades General Tso's chicken is great.

1  Thank 669MikeH669

Been to Jade Buffet? Share your experiences!