“Overpriced”

Oil Ranch
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Hockley
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A real working Texas ranch with more than 50 acres amusements and activities for the entire family. Perfect for a family day out, kids' birthday parties, reunions, or corporate events with lots to do and party pavilions for gatherings. We offer lots of activities for all ages including pony rides, putt putt golf, hayrides, train ride, swimming pool, petting zoo and farm activities like feeding and milking cows. Our ranch is very educational and popular with schools and homeschool parents for field trips. The ranch is home to popular seasonal events such as our Easter Bunny Visit & Egg Hunt, the Pumpkin Patch & Scarecrow Festival, and the Santa Ranch Express. Call the ranch for weather closures as well as seasonal closures which are generally mid-December through February and August through September.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking
Reviewed November 14, 2013

School field trip... memo said that parents pay 8.50 at the gate. Weget there and its $15.00. They wouldnt make good on their error. Over 20 parents were fuming. Not a value at $8.50, much less $15.00

2  Thank globetrottter0928
Lynn B, Manager at Oil Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

As we stated the day of your event, we did not send out memos to you about cost. However we did send an email to the school stating that if you did not all pay as a group you would not get the group rate. Sorry for your dissatisfaction with our Ranch. We wish only to continue to get the oppourtunity to educate school children in the workings of a ranch.Several children from your field trip left their jackets and we drove the mileage to navasota area to personally return them.I would love to here from you how we could have made your day better .Feel free to write us an email to info@oilranch.com. Have a blessed day and may God be with you.

There are newer reviews for Oil Ranch

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Visited the Oil Ranch for a birthday party. We haven't been here in probably 3 years and excited for the renovations. Bathrooms were clean and in good working order. Many activities for the kids, including the train, miniature golf course, swings and hayride.

Enjoyed the pumpkin patch for the kids. My son liked picking out his own pumpkin to take home. Decorations were great all around the park!

The weather was fantastic so it was crowded! Go early as there is usually a line to get in. Love that you can bring a cooler and your own food. Many families had wagons filled to the brim with food/munchies and fun activities! Did eat a BBQ sandwich that was good and the kids had pizza during the party. I would highly recommend taking a kickball/football and your own food and enjoy the day!

1  Thank TTJFamily
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I can't comment on the rest of the Oil Ranch activities as I don't have little ones anymore but we have been out for paintball twice - Once taking my U15 soccer team (5/25/2013) and another time with my son and his buddies for his 15th birthday (2/24/2013) and we all have been very happy. The boys had a blast and really enjoyed the setup of the fields (especially the one with the boats). The paintball markers had no problems/worked great and the referree was great - both times. The owner has been there both times and got us taken care of and all the guys workin the area have been great. We'll go back to Oil Ranch Paintball before any other over-priced fields in Cypress area for sure. Watch for Groupons too...even better pricing.

Word of caution for ANY paintball outing, you will need more money than what you paid for entry, marker, mask and air. Kids go thru paintballs quickly, the 200 paintballs included in your fee will be gone in the first round or two...and you're not allowed to bing in store-bought paintballs (people freeze them to make em hard and hurt people, etc... - too mych liability) so you'll need to purchase extra at the location. Typical is $25 per 1000 paintballs.

2  Thank Toby P
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I went today with my five year old son. We did not had a good experience staff were rude specially the train driver. She made my son to step out of the train for no reason. This made may son fell so bad and me embarrassed. I talked with management and they did not help me. Still the bad moment they make my son live is unjustly.

3  Thank Gabriela R

Safety is priority one at the Oil Ranch, Your Child continued to stick his arms and legs out of the train, At that point we have to stop and remove him for safety reasons. I would much rather read your review about his embarassment then read about how he was injured because we did not pay attention to his safety. Thanks for your comments we appreciate them all.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 2, 2012

There was not a lot to do. The place is very hot and spread out.
The general staff were ok, some seemed bored.
There was a woman riding around on a cart yelling at people.
Overall, not welcoming. The animals seemed tired too.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member