“Bad tex-mex!”

Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Waco, Texas
“Bad tex-mex!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We happened to stop here on our way thru hillsboro to waco..and wish we had not!
I am a huge fan of great authentic mexican food! Even some tex-mex in texas is pretty decent..but this place was horrible. We did have a nice attentive waitress but the food was awful! We ordered to plates with different kinds of enchiladas with rice and beans. It literally came out 2 min after we ordered!
The rice was cold and it appeared that they used canned cheddar cheese like the stuff u can get by campbells soup brand! Nasty! The cheese inside of the enchiladas was already hard when i cut into it, which makes me think they have this food pre-cooked sitting around to use when ordered! Blek!
Please take my advice and avoid this place.

2 Thank KadyS1131

“Pricey for Mexican, But Better than Fast Food Options”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were traveling on I-35 & staying in the LaQuinta across the street, so we decided to try El Conquistador because it was so close.

Pros: The margaritas are HUGE (and strong), so it was lucky we were staying right across the street. The salsa was better than average Mexican-restaurant salsa, & the food comes to the table very quickly. The restaurant is clean.

Cons: Prices are very high for Mexican food compared to similar meals at similar restaurants in the Midwest. If you're seeking an authetic Tex-Mex experience, this probably isn't the place. The ambience isn't really Mexican -- decor is somewhat Mexico-inspired and all of the waitresses were Anglo women.

That said, we had the steak & chicken fajitas, which were good, and the chicken flautas, which were also fine. I'd say they're pretty standard Mexican restaurant quality. It beats Jack N The Box & Chick-Fil-A.

• Visited March 2013
“Avoid the queso!!!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Well, we were nervous about this place anyways because we were just passing through, but this place sucked.

It LOOKS alright, and the service wasn't bad, but the food was awful and overpriced.

If you like Campbell's Cheese Soup...well that's pretty much what the chili con queso tasted like. The kids didn't even want to eat it.

And the tamales? Ever tried Hormel canned tamales? Yep...I'd put money on it that's what they were.

BLEH... :(

talihina
“Busy place and don't know why”
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

I can't say their red sauce was good or that the cheese sauce was good. Fajitas were ok. I will be in town for a couple months and I would bet I don't go back.
My advice is to go 35 miles north or south on I-35 if your looking for Mexican food.

Fort Worth, TX
“Very good!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

For a small town this is the best mexican food your going to find. I love the new location and the service is always very prompt.

Visited December 2011