“Pricey for Mexican, But Better than Fast Food Options”
Review of El Conquistador

El Conquistador
Ranked #6 of 40 Restaurants in Hillsboro
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were traveling on I-35 & staying in the LaQuinta across the street, so we decided to try El Conquistador because it was so close.

Pros: The margaritas are HUGE (and strong), so it was lucky we were staying right across the street. The salsa was better than average Mexican-restaurant salsa, & the food comes to the table very quickly. The restaurant is clean.

Cons: Prices are very high for Mexican food compared to similar meals at similar restaurants in the Midwest. If you're seeking an authetic Tex-Mex experience, this probably isn't the place. The ambience isn't really Mexican -- decor is somewhat Mexico-inspired and all of the waitresses were Anglo women.

That said, we had the steak & chicken fajitas, which were good, and the chicken flautas, which were also fine. I'd say they're pretty standard Mexican restaurant quality. It beats Jack N The Box & Chick-Fil-A.

Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Well, we were nervous about this place anyways because we were just passing through, but this place sucked.

It LOOKS alright, and the service wasn't bad, but the food was awful and overpriced.

If you like Campbell's Cheese Soup...well that's pretty much what the chili con queso tasted like. The kids didn't even want to eat it.

And the tamales? Ever tried Hormel canned tamales? Yep...I'd put money on it that's what they were.

BLEH... :(

Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

I can't say their red sauce was good or that the cheese sauce was good. Fajitas were ok. I will be in town for a couple months and I would bet I don't go back.
My advice is to go 35 miles north or south on I-35 if your looking for Mexican food.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

For a small town this is the best mexican food your going to find. I love the new location and the service is always very prompt.

2  Thank Hollijean
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Service was good, as were the prices. Food is classic "Tex Mex" and very good for that genre. Margaritas were pretty good too.

1  Thank TRAWhitney_Texas