“Would Not Return”
Review of Blackeyed Pea - CLOSED

Blackeyed Pea
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Good: The rolls and corn bread and Tea. Coldest beer glass in town!
The Bad: Barely warm food, less than clean tables, strange wait staff. We were seated and never got serviced so moved to the bar. We ate Salmon and chicken fried steak dishes! I only ate one bite of the salmon and my husband was not crazy about his steak either. We used to frequent this chain in the 80's so stopped in on our road trip. Very disappointed that the quality has plummeted. I now know why so many have closed. Bummer!

Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Seriously if you are hungry it's too late to eat here. This is a bring a book to read cause it's going to be a while. I know this is the country but step it up! Walking in at 5:30 there were probably 10 tables. We waited a bit and someone finally came to seat us. As we sat down our waitress passed out the menus and at the same time asked what we wanted...wow! really, give us a few and come back. We ordered pretty easily, house salads and soup. Spaghetti for 3 kids Sounds pretty non labor intensive right? So why did it take 30 minutes to get it? The salad was a salad but what the heck was up with the soup!! At this point I am thinking we should have stayed in the car and finished driving the last 2 hours. On top of that our check was SO screwed up, three times to fix it..This lady needs a new job because she's not going to be raking in the tips! We left more than half of our food on the table and more frustrated than we should have been. It's obviously laking in management!!

1  Thank Williamsland
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We enjoyed our lunch at Blackeye Pea and found the Texas love of fried foods very much in play. We had fried corn on the cob, fried pickles and fried oreos. My waistline will never be the same but my mouth was sure happy. The food was good, the server was excellent and price was very good as well. Highly recommend.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We live near this Black Eyed Pea Restaurant. We ordered Chicken Fried Steak with fries and Talipia avocado wrap with onion rings. The Tilapia was cold and runny, the onion ring would have been good if they were hot. The Chicken Fried Steak was tough, and warm not hot. The rolls and fries were the only thing worth eating. Even the water had a mildew taste. The most the waitress said to us was " I will be right back with your change". We watched the bartender and what appeared a manager playing and shoving around another waitress. I get better service and food next door at Mc Donald’s. We will not be going back.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I love the Black-Eyed Pea but this restaurant is a poor example of this popular chain. On a visit this week, we found too many problems to give it more than a two-star rating.

When we visited, it was a chilly 42-degree day and it was about 43 degrees in the restaurant. The waitress acknowledged that it was freezing, but said the heaters were on and it was "Warm in the kitchen." I should have asked for a table in the kitchen. Almost all the customers kept on jackets and hats and I thought about going to get my gloves.

The service was very slow...the waitress was attentive, though she leisurely sauntered to the table. It took 35 minutes for our meal to arrive. That seemed a bit excessive for a quiet lunch time when we had ordered a lunch special. The food was really good though--hot and tasty, though they had run out of our vegetable and delivered an alternative part way through the meal.

Another thing that was annoying was that they had the toilet paper in the restroom locked down so tight that you could only slowly peel off one square at a time. When attempting to get a bit of paper towel to dry my hands, I mentioned it to a waitress who said "the toilet paper is always like that." Neither of us could get the paper towel dispenser to work and we gave up on it.

The food was good but there were SO many problems with this location that I suggest you give it a miss. If you must go, be sure to bring your own toilet paper and paper towels!

1  Thank jMacL