“Filthy, complete with roach in bed.....”
Review of Gulfway Motel

Gulfway Motel
Gulfway Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in High Island
beaumont, texas
“Filthy, complete with roach in bed.....”
Reviewed July 11, 2010

My husband and I attempted to stay one night at the Gulfway. We were not expecting the Hilton, simple and clean is all we require. However....the room was full of mosquitoes and alive and dead roaches as well as other bugs, cobwebs, etc. Once we found a live roach in the bed, we decided to leave. We were there 1/2 hour and left to go home, which thank god, was only an hour away. It was a $100 lesson learned the hard way. We would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sdkelly38

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Lufkin, Texas
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I love the beach because it is simple and relaxing... and cheap. This motel is the same way. It is reminds me of an old motor inn of the 1950s when things moved slower, were more appreciated, and the memories are from the experiences that happened in or around the motel and not the motel itself. I don't go to a motel this close to the beach to stay in the room, that is for sure. It is a simple motel, that is apparent just by looking.. nothing grand but everything adequate and quaint. The front desk service was friendly and family oriented. I love the fact that you can tell this is an individual's establishment- a mom n pop kinda place (I hope LOL). ANY positive commerce in this area that was so devestated by Ike is one that I am will to support. Yes, the air does take a while to cool the room.. turn it on and head to the beach. Yep, tub takes a while to drain...again your trying to get clean and get the sand off. AC leaks... put something under it & praise God it isnt our AC leaking. Yes the pool is kinda warm and the water not that clear but it is warm bc it is shallow enough that you can let your older kids swim without being able to relax. The diner is AWESOME and not over-priced.. all home cooked. This little place was an oasis in the heat for us and a place to lay our heads at the end of an exhausting day. That is what a motel room on vacation is supposed to be, otherwise it would be called a "resort". I love this place and will be back. For the price and location I think it is great. Not for the extravagent traveler but for a fun, simple stay without all the extra distractions.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gxxrgirl04
joaquin, Texas
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Service was great. Rooms were clean. Restruant was a blast to eat at.(entertainment from customers and help). Rates were very reasonable. I have stayed there over the years, this is the fifth time and I love it. Downhome and friendly, no stuck up noses here.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank coolbreezeoftexas
home
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We stayed at the Gulfway a couple of times before it closed. We were very glad to see that it had reopened. We really enjoyed our stay this time as well. It's very clean, the people are very nice the beds are incredibly comfortable and the AC is like heaven after a long day of fishing. We did not get to eat at the cafe because of it's hours being so different than ours but other than that we had a great stay.

1 Thank magnoliasky22
liberty
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Well this place was just fabulous . It's a mom and pop establishment , very clean very laid back , and very nice people. You can not beat it for the cost and for the close drive to the beach.

Huntington
Reviewed August 10, 2009

My husband and I went to Galveston on Thursday August 6. We had no kids for the week they where a church camp and we decided to take a day off from everything and go to Galveston and Crystal Beach to walk around to look for sea shells. We had dinner at the stingaree it was worth the money I would recomment this restuant to anyone that goes there. We stay at the Gulfway Motel it was quite. The swimming pool was nice. My husband and I took a late night swim the water wasn't cold like some pools. We had breakfast at the restuant next door, the food was wonderful and priced just right. The owners of the Motel was friendly and kind. I would recommend this motel to anyone who want to say on High Island just minutes from the beach.

1 Thank texasgirl1967
Mesquite, Tx.
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Absolutely the best place ever to stay on the island! The room was just right, always cold a/c, tv,hot water and plenty of towles. Beds were so comfortable, we would slept 9 hrs. straight! Since this is a older motel, but completely refurbished, it has sound proof walls, We did not ever hear the other residents. Very laid back atmosphere, Becky was always happy and cheerful. No phones in room? Well, who needs them? You always have our cell. My sis-in-law have been going to CB for 14 years....stayed in houses until the hurricane, stayed once at Joy Sands(don't go there), stayed in Winnie, too far to drive to the beach. We felt very safe and well cared for at Becky's. We have already recommended it to several of our friends. I certainly hope Gulfway will stay open. Has everything we need and close to the beach. See ya again at end of Sept.!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Motel 6 Winnie
#8 of 8 in Winnie
La Quinta Inn & Suites Winnie
Comfort Inn & Suites Winnie

Been to Gulfway Motel? Share your experiences!