“Can u say.....ROACH MOTEL?”
Review of Gulfway Motel

Gulfway Motel
Gulfway Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in High Island
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Little roaches everywhere...when the lights go out.....and the worst part....... Some made it into our bags & were in our car!! Luckilly we spotted them before unknowingly bringing them into our own, clean, roach free homes!

• Stayed: July 2011
6  Thank 33teeth

Reviewed July 17, 2011

Very NICE and affordable....beds comfortable....nostalgic reminder of yesteryear. Owners are FABULOUS! They allow pets....and met other folks from Lufkin/Nacogdoches area. We
ALWAYS stay there when we go swimming or fishing, etc. The restaurant food is VERY GOOD!!!!

Room Tip: no noise thru walls whatsoever! nice and private!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank luvmykitties
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Our trip to the Gulfway motel and restauarant was a very entertaining experience in itself. We enjoyed an instant rapport with the owners and employees. The restauarant was filled with great food (i recommend the fried sweet potatoes) and courtesy, as well as laughter. These are some of the nicest employees and regulars I have ever run into at a place of business. My husband and I also enjoyed strolling the pathway on the grounds and looking at the birds who visited the birdhouses and large bird feeder.. nice, peaceful grounds....and very clean.. My husband and I are members of the Baytown Art League and were thrilled to meet several other artists, like Miss Ilene from the Beaumont Art League and the Cafe showcased other local artists' work...Very clean comfortable rooms, as well. We plan to put the Gulfway on our regular visitation list.. Especially during Bird Season and any future Art Events that the motel may host!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GEMYSTERY
Reviewed July 11, 2010

My husband and I attempted to stay one night at the Gulfway. We were not expecting the Hilton, simple and clean is all we require. However....the room was full of mosquitoes and alive and dead roaches as well as other bugs, cobwebs, etc. Once we found a live roach in the bed, we decided to leave. We were there 1/2 hour and left to go home, which thank god, was only an hour away. It was a $100 lesson learned the hard way. We would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank sdkelly38
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I love the beach because it is simple and relaxing... and cheap. This motel is the same way. It is reminds me of an old motor inn of the 1950s when things moved slower, were more appreciated, and the memories are from the experiences that happened in or around the motel and not the motel itself. I don't go to a motel this close to the beach to stay in the room, that is for sure. It is a simple motel, that is apparent just by looking.. nothing grand but everything adequate and quaint. The front desk service was friendly and family oriented. I love the fact that you can tell this is an individual's establishment- a mom n pop kinda place (I hope LOL). ANY positive commerce in this area that was so devestated by Ike is one that I am will to support. Yes, the air does take a while to cool the room.. turn it on and head to the beach. Yep, tub takes a while to drain...again your trying to get clean and get the sand off. AC leaks... put something under it & praise God it isnt our AC leaking. Yes the pool is kinda warm and the water not that clear but it is warm bc it is shallow enough that you can let your older kids swim without being able to relax. The diner is AWESOME and not over-priced.. all home cooked. This little place was an oasis in the heat for us and a place to lay our heads at the end of an exhausting day. That is what a motel room on vacation is supposed to be, otherwise it would be called a "resort". I love this place and will be back. For the price and location I think it is great. Not for the extravagent traveler but for a fun, simple stay without all the extra distractions.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gxxrgirl04
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Service was great. Rooms were clean. Restruant was a blast to eat at.(entertainment from customers and help). Rates were very reasonable. I have stayed there over the years, this is the fifth time and I love it. Downhome and friendly, no stuck up noses here.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank coolbreezeoftexas
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We stayed at the Gulfway a couple of times before it closed. We were very glad to see that it had reopened. We really enjoyed our stay this time as well. It's very clean, the people are very nice the beds are incredibly comfortable and the AC is like heaven after a long day of fishing. We did not get to eat at the cafe because of it's hours being so different than ours but other than that we had a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Motel 6 Winnie
#5 of 8 in Winnie
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Winnie

Been to Gulfway Motel? Share your experiences!