“Good pies but mediocre food”

Koffee Kup Family Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Hico
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

This is a typical greasy spoon/Mom & Pop restaurant. Very busy during lunch run and popular with local regulars. There are several reasons to visit the area and eating here is part of the experience.

1  Thank Palmer9

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We have eaten here before and really enjoyed it, but not this time. The salad and tomatoes were not ripe and were practically inedible. The steak had a good flavor, but was tough, thin, and over-cooked. Really, all of the food was just kind of bland. Based on this trip alone, we wouldn't return.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I've had 3 meals here (not by choice) and have been disappointed each time. I won't eat here again. The food is greasy and poorly cooked. It looks like everything on the plates comes out the same whether the order is beef, chicken or Mexican food. Lots of fried stuff and absolutely nothing healthy on the menu

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have driven 281 many times, but this is the first time I’ve eaten here, because the parking lot has always been packed when I’ve gone by. This time, I was going by about mid-day and the lot was almost empty, so I thought I’d stop in. I ordered a hamburger and fries. My hamburger was flavorless. The meat tasted as if it wasn’t seasoned at all. Fries appeared to be frozen rather than fresh cut. They have a large selection of pies, most of which are meringue pies. I ordered the coconut pie. The crust was pretty good. The filling had a good flavor, but was overly sweet. Service was painfully slow, even though there were only a few other customers there. I liked the display of kitsch salt and pepper shakers that they had on one wall. The food wasn’t bad, but now that I’ve eaten here, I’m wondering why they get all the business they seem to get.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Hico is a cool little town, even if it didn't have the Koffee Kup. But my wife and I are drawn periodically to make the 65 mile drive experience the best onion rings around. Most folks, I believe, go to the Koffee Kup for their pies, which are really good. But I go for the chicken fried chicken with onion rings.

The Koffee Kup is a pretty typical small town cafe, but the crowds are anything but typical. If you want to have lunch there, you'd better get there really early or late, because folks come from far and wide to have a reliably tasty meal of good Texas comfort food. Maybe one day we'll leave enough room for some pie!

Been to Koffee Kup Family Restaurant? Share your experiences!