“Decent Pie, So-So Food, Slow Service”

Koffee Kup Family Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Hico
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Dallas, Texas
“Decent Pie, So-So Food, Slow Service”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have driven 281 many times, but this is the first time I’ve eaten here, because the parking lot has always been packed when I’ve gone by. This time, I was going by about mid-day and the lot was almost empty, so I thought I’d stop in. I ordered a hamburger and fries. My hamburger was flavorless. The meat tasted as if it wasn’t seasoned at all. Fries appeared to be frozen rather than fresh cut. They have a large selection of pies, most of which are meringue pies. I ordered the coconut pie. The crust was pretty good. The filling had a good flavor, but was overly sweet. Service was painfully slow, even though there were only a few other customers there. I liked the display of kitsch salt and pepper shakers that they had on one wall. The food wasn’t bad, but now that I’ve eaten here, I’m wondering why they get all the business they seem to get.

• Visited December 2013

“Best Onion Rings Around”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Hico is a cool little town, even if it didn't have the Koffee Kup. But my wife and I are drawn periodically to make the 65 mile drive experience the best onion rings around. Most folks, I believe, go to the Koffee Kup for their pies, which are really good. But I go for the chicken fried chicken with onion rings.

The Koffee Kup is a pretty typical small town cafe, but the crowds are anything but typical. If you want to have lunch there, you'd better get there really early or late, because folks come from far and wide to have a reliably tasty meal of good Texas comfort food. Maybe one day we'll leave enough room for some pie!

• Visited November 2013
benbrook, tx
“Average diner food and extremely slow”
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

This location is popular with locals and travelers. However, our experience (we have been two separate times) is less than favorable. Our biggest complaint is the wait time. The service is fine but the kitchen takes too long getting food out to customers. You shouldn't have to wait 30 minutes to get a sandwich. We also feel that there items are lacking seasoning. The food is hot and fresh - and is okay - but it is not anything special. My wife and I decided that we won't be going back.

Visited November 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Cant go wrong with any pie; must get the onion rings, perfect!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Road trip required stop over, walked in mid Sunday afternoon, place was full, only wait was for table to be cleaned in this tiny place.

Got the Cactus Jack burger with onion rings, Chicken Strips plate, slices of Black Forest and Doctor Office Pie, tax and tip of $38.

Burger a bit pricey at $10, patty was large, bun was homemade, expertly grilled buns. Onion rings were in a word, outstanding! Just the right amount of crisp on the batter, not too thick or thin, onion was not too hard or soft, just perfect, you have to try them,

Chicken Strips plate was HUGE, enough food for at least two meals. Sides were just an afterthought.

Black forest is two kinds of chocolate, so that’s a winner for me, but the Doctor Office was a great choice as well. Hard to go wrong with any kind of pie here.

So if you are in Hico and can get a table without a long wait, go for it! Pie solves everything.

• Visited November 2013
“Pie Pie Pie”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Doctor's Office Pie is amazing, Pecan Pie is yummy.

Food is so-so, but the pie is amazing.

Eat at Hard 8 BBQ in Stephenville and the make the short ride to Hico for Pie at the Koffee Kup. Then fast for two days to balance out the gluttony!