“Nice old buildings in Hico!”

Historic Downtown Hico
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Hico
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Nice old buildings in Hico!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The large, murals painted on the exterior of the building walls caught my attention as we were driving through this small town north of Fredericksburg, Texas. We first stopped to photograph those, then the main downtown streets. Then we strolled inside two of the stores. But that's about all the time we had on our schedule. Would be worth spending more time there. Perhaps another time.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Rcgrizz

Waco, Texas
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Short Stop”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Hico is a really small town that claims Billy the Kid. There is a very small "museum" about him and a statue. It's interesting but there is not a good restaurant in town. The best bets are the antique store for browsing and the excellent Weisman House Chocolate store which also has unusual gifts. Plan on a couple of hours total for this. A day trip might include Dublin just West which until recently bottled Imperial Sugar Dr. Pepper. To the East is Clifton, another historic town.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank glo62
Dallas, Texas
103 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 231 helpful votes
“I Love the Old Signs”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Hico has done a good job of preserving and restoring its older buildings. Its downtown area is small, but has some wonderful buildings dating to the 1890s. The city has developed the area into a small shopping district. They’ve also made free wi-fi available in order to attract tourists. This is really helpful since I’ve found it can be difficult getting a data signal in surrounding areas. I’m not into shopping, so I can’t comment on the quality of the shopping here. I enjoyed the architecture and especially enjoyed how many well-preserved and restored ghost signs there are in this small area. Ghost signs are the signs that used to be painted on the sides of buildings, starting in the 1890s and proliferated during the pre-Depression years. The last time I was here, I made a stop specifically to see and photograph them.

Visited January 2013