“Very poor”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hempstead
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We were in Hempstead for an early Thanksgiving with friends. They did not have a hotel recommendation, so I picked based on fewest negative comments in the reviews, and it’s location. When we arrived, the desk clerk said he did not have a suite room as I reserved – I did not reserve a suite. We got what we wanted –- a regular king. They have a very loud and irritating chime on the office door, good for them I guess, that seemed to go on forever.

The room was rather stark and had a noticeable unpleasant sweet odor. It was clean however. The only chair was the desk chair. The safety instructions say to double lock the door, but there was no deadbolt mechanism. The TV remote did not work, but was fixed promptly. It was VERY noisy, no room-to-room sound proofing, well into the early morning hours. They advertised high speed internet, but there was no clue in the room and it would have disturbed my wife at the time I wanted to use it to ask for help. Couldn’t get dial-up to work.

We prefer something a little better than this and will have to come up with something different if we come back next year. I had lower expectations based on the price, but I was still disappointed. I kept telling myself that it was okay for one night.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mac34

Reviewed June 18, 2009

My room was clean and fresh each day of my 5 day stay. When I reported to Harry, the manager, that a lamp had a brocken switch, I had a replacement lamp within 5 minutes. Harry greeted me by name each time we met. Since I am a smoker, I usually have the same ground floor room on my infrequent trips to the area. It was very nice to have a coffee pot in the room (with enough creamers and sugars to enjoy more than one cup) and not to have trapse down to the lobby in my robe to get my morning eye opener. I understand the hotel is under new management, since my last stay, and I appreciate the improvements Harry has initiated.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 30, 2009

It was okay, but I'm not sure how much it was due to not paying for the room. At the time I looked into pricing it was close to $30 cheaper than the price I'm getting quoted now. If I was doing a long drive and needed rest it would be sufficient. As far as finding a place to stay with my significant other, this is probably not a place for romance. There really isn't too much to offer since there isn't any other hotels in the Hempstead, TX area. There is a Best Western that would be about 20 minutes away, which is in Brenham, TX.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed October 6, 2008

This was a wonderful place to stay. I spent 11 days in the hotel. The manager (Harry) was wonderful and very helpful to me I was from out of state. The room was very clean and comfortable. I was made feel welcome and all of my needs were met. I would recommend this place to anyone who will to be in the area of Hempstead.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2008

This is a basic motel property for someone who needs a room in the Hempstead area, rather than a tourist spot. Room was clean but had new carpet smell. Wall air conditioner unit with on/off, not thermostat setting. AC was off when we arrived. Room had bed, large TV, couch, refrigerator, ironing board and basic toiletries. Motel is near highway but we could not hear it with door closed. We arrived at 10 pm and left at 8 am so we did not interact much with staff. There was some type of continental cold breakfast as well, but we had other plans.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2007

Okay, this hotel is worthy of the time for me to do another review because I think people should know how nice it is. This was our second stay as we are vendors at a local festival twice a year. As you can see in my previous review we were really pleased the first time. The second stay was just a great or even better than the first. The hotel was maxed out (it is small) with a wedding, festival goers etc. Usually that is when you see a problem or two, but not at this one. Everything was quiet, clean, and under control. Our room was perfect, everything was working properly, new ironing board, tv etc. Coffee, juice, waffles and honey buns were available EARLY every morning in the lobby.
This property is under new management by a husband and wife team and they were very attentive to everything. The wife was especially nice and kind.
Accomodations are limited in the area but even if they weren't I would definitely stay there again. As a side note, I think there is going to be a name change soon to America's Best Value Inn. Keep that in mind when making reservations in case you can't find a listing.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank catbeckster
Reviewed May 20, 2007

We were in town for a wedding. The hotel came recommended, but had quite a few problems. The bed covers were torn and the shower curtain
had mildew. There were only two lounge chairs by the pool and each had mildew. We tried to arrange for a later check out - but management was not accomodating. We had to pay extra to have the room
for 2 more hours. When we left, the parking lot was almost empty. The
only pluses were that it was by a Sonic and McDonalds.

Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank The5travellers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waller
Coach Light Inn Brenham
#3 of 11 in Brenham
Best Western Inn of Brenham
Hempstead Country Inn & Suites

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!