“Bad First Impression”

Add it.
Mekong Garden
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My family tried this restaurant for the first time last evening. This was a take out order so I have no opinion of the dining room experience. However, we were extremely disappointed with our food. The sesame shrimp and sesame beef were both burnt, extremely dry, and had a smell of old oil. Both these dishes came with VERY little sauce. Neither of these dishes were eaten. The chicken fried rice was bland and the chicken seemed like it had been frozen with a rubbery consistency. My family will not be eating from this restaurant again.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We are new to the area and love Asian food. Ambiance is that of an old, worn-out restaurant. We were encouraged to see their was no buffet. I ordered chicken chow mien ($4.99) and my wife ordered pork in garlic sauce ($4.99). First came my sweet and sour soup. It was VERY salty. My wife had egg drop soup which tasted OK. The server brought out my order, but for some reason my wife's order didn't come out of the kitchen for another five minutes. Weird. The chicken chow mien was really lacking in flavor. The pork in garlic sauce was just out-right awful. The sauce had an overwhelming sweetness, like they had poured in a couple of tablespoons of sugar. My wife could hardly eat any of it. Our fried rice was the consistency of mush. This is not fried rice. It is steamed white rice and the cook mixes in something brown to make it look like it was fried.
In summary; we would never eat here again. Even at this cheap price point I can not recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Great food! Love the owners, who are always pleasant and know me by name.
FYI the space use to be an auto parts store back in the 90's, so I think the owners did a great job turning the place in to an acceptable atmosphere. I have worked in the city for almost 20 years and initially was skeptical the business would succeed. However, once I starting trying the food I found it exceptional and the service by the owners outstanding!
As a law enforcement officer in the city there are many places offering A free or discounted food but I still choose to enjoy eating at Mekong inspite of paying full price.
The dumplings are one of my favorites.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I wasn't going to write a review. However I just can't believe that the other reviews are authentic and feel the need to balance this out. We live in helotes and have tried this restaurant a few times. We really want to like it because its local family owned. Unfortunately everytime the chicken has tasted freezer burnt. The interior feels dusty as well.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stopped here one evening just to try something new. We pulled in to find they close from 2:30 till 4:00, and it was only 3:15. We were getting ready to pull out then the front door opened and a young lady waved for us to come in. We went in and were seated. The restaurant was clean, neatly decorated and felt comfortable. Looking at the menu I noticed they had chicken corn soup, one of my favorite soups. We ordered the soup, steamed potstickers and spring rolls for appetizers. They were served quickly and were hot. The main course was freshly prepared, with ample portions. The staff was very attentive and friendly. This has become one of our favorite restaurants, in fact we had lunch there today.