“Worst Service Ever”

El Chaparral Mexican
Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in Helotes
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Three decades and two generations of experience and passion go into every smiling face and mouth-watering bite that make-up El Chaparral. Our family history is etched into everything we do. In 1972, our parents, Charlie and Mary Garcia, followed their dream to a small eatery in Helotes, Texas.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. The service was horrible. The food greasy with no taste. The waitress dropped the beans soup on my husband's pants. Our order came very late and wrong. No check back for drinks at our table. When we paid the bill in cash the waiter didn't bring our change back. We had a large group celebrating our son's graduation. So the gratuity was in the bill. The manager never came to our table. I phoned the restaurant later that same evening (8/9) and asked to speak to the manager, Mr Rivera. I told him what happened at dinner and he said would get more information and call me back. He never did. A total disappointment.

1  Thank TeachCC

Reviewed August 7, 2013

The food, atmosphere and service here is outstanding! We ate there with a large group and the service and food was perfect! I have eaten here several times before and I am never disappointed! They have generous portions and are very attentive to the customers needs!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I stopped here @ about 1:30 pm on Saturday for a birthday lunch on our way for a drive in the beautiful Texas hill country. We have driven by this place on several different occasions and the parking lot (which is huge!) is always filled. We stopped for dinner one evening after a drive and the wait was over 45-minutes, so we decided to try again another day. Saturday afternoon and we were seated immediately ...the place was steadily busy. There were a few tables and booths still open, but not many. Thus the 'prepare to wait' portion in the title of this review.

The ambiance of this restaurant is tangibly romantic and comfy. The view outside is amazing. Great place to take a date.

The food ...excellent! My husband had his favorite ...chicken enchiladas. The portions were large, the enchiladas packed with delicious shredded chicken, covered in a kind of light but tasty sour cream and jalapeño sauce. Refried beans were different than most typical Mexican food places ...a little spicy but not too much. Superb. I had typical Mexican street food chicken tacos ...small, soft corn tortillas with grilled chicken chunks on top with a little white cheese and a delicious tomatillo sauce served alongside. This meal was served with boracho beans which were delicious! The food was outstanding! We will visit here again and sample the immense menu!

I wanted to give this place a 4.5 rating, but our waiter was pretty slow. We had to ask for more chips and salsa and then wait. I ran out of water before I could see him again to refill my glass. Other than that, the experience was excellent. Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We went on a Thursday night. We waited about 30 min with a party of 7. Good salsa and warm chips. Enchiladas were excellent and are a specialty of the restaurant.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have been here twice in June-the first visit I had the chile relleno-average. Had some margarita that had midori in it-kinda gross. Sat outside and the patio was very nice-best part of visit.
The last visit was inside seating, it was very warm in restaurant. I ordered the bacon-wrapped shrimp with jalapeno-it was overcooked and the cilantro rice was undercooked. The only good part of this visit was the fact that I was there with friends.
I don't think I'll be back with so many other choices for Mexican food here in san Antonio.