“Fun golf at a mediocre resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Silverleaf Holly Lake Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hawkins
Silverleaf Holly Lake Ranch
You added Silverleaf Holly Lake Ranch to your Saves list
ScarlettC6
“Fun golf at a mediocre resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was invited by a friend with a timeshare to take a trip to Holly Lake Ranch for a girl's golf getaway. As others have mentioned, it is out in the sticks in a gated community with limited to no cell service and wifi only at the activity center. However, we got there midweek and it was not crowded which made it enjoyable. The pool was nice and the golf was a lot of fun. Shotgun start with only one or two tee times depending on the day of the week, but it was great. Nice pace, reasonable prices,no pushing from behind and the course was in good condition. The staff (except front desk) was very helpful. The "condo" we had was older and needed updating. The furniture was very uncomfortable (i.e. hard) and the mattress full of peaks and valleys. Storage for putting away luggage and non-refrigerated food/beverages limited, so don't take too much or you will be walking over and around it. Nice size unit for two people, tight but reasonable for four, but more than that would be crowded. Only one bath had a shower, the other a HUGE jacuzzi tub. Lots of activities for families/kids. The best thing though - a tip from the golf pro to visit Taste of Italy, an local and very authentic Italian restaurant on the lake. If you have a large party, call for reservations. It is a popular place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank ScarlettC6

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

You do need a car to get around. Holly Lake was actually across the highway and quite far down the road from where we stayed. There is a nice pool, a swimming area in the lake, paddle boats, a gym and some other emenities on that side of the resort, It would have been nice if it had been closer. (I was there with a 4 year old, without a car for 2 of days of our 6 day stay.) We walked to the closer pool, which was still a hike, carrying everything, but it was manageable.
Other than that, this resort is very nice, has some great walking trails which we enjoyed, and the staff was pleasant and helpful.
Bring your own food, most restaurants are several miles away, although there are some good ones. The grocery store is around 10 miles, the resort is pretty far from everything.
We drove to Tyler and went to the Caldwell Zoo. It was worth the drive and the resort has BOGO coupons, so it was a great deal.
The cabin was charming and had a loft and 2 full size beds in addition to a bedroom. Plenty of room for everyone, It had 1 bathroom, and with 6 people staying there it would have been nice to have had a second one. It was nice, clean, and like I said, charming. Cell phone reception is not very good, and you will have to go to the activity center for internet access, but that was a blessing most of the time.
If your there on a Saturday night, check out Bingo at the firestation across the street, it was great, inexpensive, fun.

Room Tip: Ask if they have a presidential unit available, they only have a few. If you need 2 bathrooms, get a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Mamie7950
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I arrived to the resort on a Friday evening and I was totally excited. I've been to other resorts in the Texas area (Tyler, Conroe, etc.) and I've been semi satisfied this far. I knew that I would have needed to bring lysol, and smell goods with me but boy was I in for a surprise.

I didn't want to sit on the couch because I was totally shocked by the amount of dog fur that coated the sitting area. I felt dirty, I was angry because I have a timeshare here this is where I pay my maintence fees. The grills are broken, the microwave made sounds that made me want to duck for cover (possible explosion), the bathroom door had teeth marks and scratches from where someone had a dog locked in the bathroom (mind you they charge a $100 non refundable fee which I would think handles this). The other reviews explain the attractions and the rooms so please review those and us them as a guide. I'm just here to warn you of the filth that you may see during your stay. I never took my shoes off at any point during my stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank Titanblu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

If you don't like peace and quiet you would not like it here. And make no mistake, most people think they like peace and quiet but really don't. If barking dogs are normal to you, if you listen to metal on the radio, if you have wind chimes on the back porch so you don't have to hear yourself think, do the people of holly lake ranch a favor and stay the heck away.

• Stayed March 2011
10 Thank Joeette
Edmonton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

Trees? Check. Friendly staff? Check - at first. Accuracy to the description they have on the website? UNCHECK.

They say they've got a nice place - and they do, if you're looking for a hostel in the woods. No pools are open, the complex is so spread out that you need a car (unless you're like my family and love to run to places fairly far away) and they don't have WiFi. Oh, sorry - they do have WiFi. In the Activities Center. Which is a communal area + grill with only one usable powerbar for computers and which is constantly populated by great hordes of crying children.

If you need to connect to work, or if you cut a project short to come here, DO NOT choose the Holly Lake Resort. There is no security on the wireless, nor is it convenient to run the risk of having a child with a Texan sized soda spill it on your keyboard.

As for room amenities, this place is half-bad. The condo units are comfy, and they do have digital TV. However, in my unit, one of the washrooms doesn't have a fan - and it's the one with the bath tub.
The BBQ on the front porch is not fit to cook anything safe for human consumption and the nearest grocer is half an hour away.

If you want to shop, I recommend you pick a Days Inn near Dallas. You'll have access to more amenities and Internet access without having to worry about children yanking your power cord out of your computer.

All in all, the only thing good about this place are the trees. And even those look pathetic.

Since the "recommend to a friend" option only has understatements - I would tell anyone considering this resort to RUN THE OTHER WAY.
Get thee to a hostel. The Nordegg, AB, Canada branch has nicer scenery, more wildlife and provides a more rewarding experience than this "resort".

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
13 Thank VerifiedFood
fort worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

I went there and had a wonderful time and meet new people there and saw a bunch of deer.

• Liked — great place to go to
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank realcowboy
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

We visited Holly Lake Resort (owned by Silverleaf Resorts)October 31- November 2, 2008. The resort has very peaceful surroundings. This was a nice getaway weekend for us. The drive was far from Houston after a long days work but worth it the next day as we walked around and enjoyed the beautiful trees with changing leaf colors. The pool is only open seasonally and was closed when we arrived. There is a golf course. There are home that are on 1 side of the resort. We were told there are about 3500 homes in Holly Lake Ranch and that the association is very strict. We drove around where the homes were and they looked fairly new (within last 10 years), well kept, some on Golf course some on Lake. There are Deer everywhere and we were told that there are a lot of wild hogs in the area. Hunting is not allowed. We were also informed that the owner of Silver leaf resorts owns a home in Holly Lake Ranch and he is the only one allowed to hunt on property. They say it is over 5000 acres that is owned by Silver Leaf. The furnishings were the typical Silver leaf rustic style. The cabin was a 1 bedroom loft unit w/ 1 queen bed in downstairs room and 2 full size beds in loft unit. There is a TV in bedroom and living area. There is a fully stocked kitchen in the unit. The 1 bathroom has the Jacuzzi tub and hand shower thingy. It was clean. We had plenty of towels. They left a basket of snacks maybe because it was Halloween. The activity center was typical of those at all Silver leaf properties but somehow I enjoyed myself here more. The on-site grill actually has good, fresh food (not micro waved like at the other Silver leaf properties). The pizza was really good, the hamburgers are fresh not frozen and the chicken fried steak is hand battered. This made a big impression on me as I do not like always having to leave the resort to find something decent to eat. There is a sub way and 2-3 other choices in the area that are relativity close but be cautioned that this is a very remote area, so not many things close by. There is basketball, tennis, putt-putt, archery, golf, Hiking trails (4), board games, bingo, pool table, ski ball table, arcade games offered on property. You can go across the road to the other activity center and rent canoes or paddle boats for only $2 per hour. There is a sign that states there are alligators in the water so enter at own risk. There is an activity center over there as well and the attendant states that they just moved a 9 footer to another part. I questioned some fisherman and others that had just finished with the boats and they denied seeing any gators. I was too scared to go in after seeing the sign. That side of the property was really peaceful as well. If you are not into nature and need activities in the surrounding area then this resort is not for you. I would not be happy if I had exchanged to this resort through RCI and thought it was near lots of activities. The descriptions states Dallas is close by but that is still a 2-3 hour drive. This is a place that you go to and hang/chill at around the resort. Even the Villages and Lake of the Woods are a good distance away. I am planning to go back. I may make this a regular place to visit in the fall and spring. I like the peaceful environment. Good place if you are working on writing a book, need to catch up on reading a book or like me and need to catch up on scrap booking projects.

The date on the pictures are incorrect so pay not mind to the date. I never change the date on my camera. I know I should but I dont.

• Liked — tranquil surroundings
  • Disliked — remote distance
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
16 Thank Stayce
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawkins
Comfort Suites Lindale - North Tyler
BEST WESTERN Mineola Inn
BEST WESTERN Lindale Inn
15 Acres Retreat
15 Acres Retreat
#1 of 3 in Quitman
5.0 of 5 stars 8 reviews
Munzesheimer Manor Bed and Breakfast

Been to Silverleaf Holly Lake Ranch? Share your experiences!