“Used to be a good stay.”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Harlingen, TX
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Harlingen
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I had been in this hotel several times before with family, and found it was great, but this actual stay is a complete hazard. I was welcomed to the hotel in the best way possible by a gentleman. I told him one of my daughters had invited some friends and I needed an roll away bed. He kindly offered to have one in our room right away.
Next I know is I had a lady calling in my room with a very incorrect tone, and basically asking for additional money for the extra guests. I asked to wait until I could speak to the manager to find a solution, but she wouldn't stop. I had to go down to the lobby to allow my family to continue sleeping, as it was almost midnight. As I arrived to the front desk, I felt like if I was in the army, and a high range general or colonel was speaking to me. She basically was a computer, input output, with no human touch, she instructed, not only me, but other guests that were checking in as to how to do each and every move while in the hotel.
I am a Carlson member, and had always been treated in perfection until now. Even my welcome tonight was great, until this lady got me. I have seen other rooms having up to 8 guests in this hotel, so I offered to pay for what she was asking if she was able to collect money from others that had extra guests in their rooms too. She was being hard on me, when she knows the hotel is normally filled up with more than normal occupancy. Was she treating me this way because I'm a Mexican and not a US citizen? Plus while she was making the phone call, she gave me a price of $15 per night for the roll away bed, and the price for this as stated in the front desk is only $5 per night. Not sure why she was trying to charge more than the correct price.
She also said that having the number of people I had was a safety problem, but if all she wanted to do was charge extra, this has nothing to do with safety, but only with collecting more money, now I wonder, is this extra money for her to keep? I even offered to go out and sleep in my car to avoid the safety problem, but she insisted in having to collect the money.
Anyway, I do hope to be able to talk to the manager, who will not be in until Monday, to tell him about this so ugly experience. Employees like her make customer run. After this stay, I will no longer consider staying in this hotel, plus I will cancel my Carlson membership. She must think she has too many customers to worry about me leaving, but one by one, all will leave is she continues to act in such a difficult non humanistic way. I do hope the top management in Carlson reads this, and finds out who the lady is, that was in service the night of Nov. 15, 2013… and does something about this. So sad that such a good hotel can be ruined by such a poor attention. I can't ask for her to be fired, but the hotel will surely benefit from not having her in contact with customers that come to this hotel to have a good rest instead of problems.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Constancio L
silvestro1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Harlingen, TX, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

I apologize for the disappointing service you received from a member of our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. I apologize in the way your issue was handled , our front desk clerk was following hotel policy . Perhaps she could have been more tactful in the way she handled the situation. For this, I do apologize. I will speak with her and use this situation for retraining. I do hope that this experience will not affect your experience with Country Inn & Suites and we hope to see you again soon . We appreciate all our guests, especially our Club Carlson members. To discuss your concern further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for David, General Manager.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We will definitely stay here again. We were here 7 days. Rooms spacious, clean, housekeeping on top of their game. Front desk pleasant and professional. Breakfast excellent full breakfast. Always fresh coffee at the reception area and even cookies . We were spoiled for sure. I rate them a 10.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank huntclub1997
silvestro1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Harlingen, TX, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your great review. We try to ensure that every guest has a great experience. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights. It was a delightful stay. The staff and housekeeping were great! Very courtious, professional and helpful. We stayed in a two room, two queen bed, suite which was very nice. There were two TV's, microwave and minifridge, as well as coffee maker with coffee, different teas and hot chocolate! From the time you enter the lobby of this hotel, you are made to feel welcome! You are immediately offered fresh cookies when checking in! The rooms are very comfortable, very clean, and the entire hotel was spotless. The only question I had was, why in the middle of October, in South Texas, are there down comforters on the bed!. The beds were very comfortable. Of course there were lighter blankets available in abundance! The hotel is right alongside the expressway, so the first night, noise was a problem, but the second and third nights it did not bother us. The staff did offer to change our room for us, but we were already settled in.The hotel has a fitness center and pool, but we did not use either of them. The complementary breakfast was fantastic, and Norma, the Breakfast Attendant made for a little sunshine each morning! The breakfast consisted of eggs, sausage, potatoes, cereals, pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt, fresh made oatmeal, and Belgium Waffles as well as coffee and juices. There was something for everyone! What we enjoyed is that you eat off of real plates with real silverware! I would hightly recommend this hotel for its location and affordability!

Room Tip: The suites are very affordable and provide much more room if staying more than one night!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ron R
silvestro1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Harlingen, TX, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for you wonderful review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind words about Norma. She is a great asset to our hotel.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We spent 6 nights at this hotel. We first found and chose this hotel a few years ago; because it was within walking distance from "family", when we visited them in Harllingen. We now stay at this hotel every time we are in town. This last stay, we reserved a "suite" that had a small living room and a separate bedroom. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, always willing to help you when you had a question or needed anything. The room was roomy, clean, had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, 2 TV's, and comfortable beds. Hotel has a fitness room, pool, guest laundry on the 2nd & 3rd floor, elevators, and cookies located near the front door. Hotel is right off the highway, but you don't hear the noise. Since we ate at "family's" home, we only did coffee in the morning - but I took a peek at the breakfast, and they had, cereal, pastries, fresh fruit, waffles, yogurt, eggs, sausage - pretty much something to please everyone. We like the cleanliness, location and value for what you get at this hotel - will continue to stay at this hotel when visiting Harlingen.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gonzalezgang

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We try to make every visit a great experience.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

The hotel has large rooms that are clean, have comfortable beds and microwaves and minifridges. The breakfast is decent with egg/sausage options as well as cereal, yogurt and waffle's. The staff has been very friendly and has accommodated my requests in professional manners. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2013

my family and I stayed for over a week, and felt at home. Roland at the front desk was very friendly. He knew where to get the best food and where to have fun. He made are stay all the better. We will be going back to Harlingen in February and we will stay here again as long as Roland is checking us in. I wish all the hotels we stayed at had more friendly faces like Roland's. thank you sir, for our pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Sarah J
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Aug. 29-Sept. 1, three night stay. Hotel is clean. Rooms are spacious, beds are comfortable. Breakfast was okay. Area is quiet. Close to highway. 35 minute drive to South Padre Island which was the reason for our trip to Harlingen. Staff was very pleasant. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Annetta P
silvestro1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Harlingen, TX, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. Our Staff is great and we try to exceed every guest's expectations.