“A good value during high season for South Padre -- WATCH BILLING!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harlingen
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Harlingen
Dallas, Texas
“A good value during high season for South Padre -- WATCH BILLING!”
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We have been to South Padre Island (SPI) several times and previously stayed 'at the beach' but not during their 'high' summer season. This time, we decided to stay in Harlingen, near the highway, since we'd have to rent a car anyway to get to SPI from the airport. We traveled with a 2, 4 and 8 year old. The hotel was very clean, had a nice heated pool and was close to restaurants we enjoyed. There were NO pool towels by the pool and one had to ask the front desk for these.

The breakfast was nice and the kids enjoyed sitting in the breakfast room sometimes watching TV for a few minutes. We would stay here again but I'd be careful to review my bill before checkout and make sure I signed the charges-- they put a 'hold' on the nearly 300 dollar hotel bill 2x on my card -- and then when I called the hotel, they told me that I'd have to 'dispute' the charge with my bank -- instead of their just simply 'taking care of it' by rescinding one of the charges or holds. I was very disappointed to have such an incompetent response from their billing staff. It eventually turned out it did not actually 'bill' 2x , but that may have been just blind luck for me instead of competence on the hotel's part.

• Liked — room size and cleanliness
  • Disliked — billing problems
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
West Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites - Harlingen from April 4-8, 2008 during a vacation. I had a nice stay despite remodeling going on in the lobby. Front desk staff were pleasant and accommodating, allowing me to check in early (which helped a lot after an early-morning flight) and get some rest before going out again. Room smelled vaguely flowery -- I could never figure out if it was the cleaning products used or the blooming tree not far from my window. Not a major concern in any case. Breakfast was more than adequate both weekend and weekday, with eggs and sausage during the week and waffles on the weekend. Although there was no restaurant nearby (as there is with some CISs), a local eatery offered delivery and a free shuttle to and from their location. Pool area was nice, with some shady spots, but the pool water was like bath water. I suspect it must be hard to regulate the pool temps in such a temperate place as Harlingen.

In addition, I submitted feedback to the corporate office after my stay and they addressed my concern almost immediately -- that's almost unheard-of these days. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Friendly service and good, free breakfast.
  • Disliked — No other businesses within walking distance.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Proofwell
Sugar Land, TX
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,213 helpful votes
Reviewed December 10, 2006

I've stayed overnight with great pleasure at this Country Inn & Suites (CIS) 3 to 5 times per year since 2002. Its quality has caused me to seek out other CIS locations in other cities as my #1 choice, which I'll continue to do. However, my last 2 stays here (Dec. 9-10 & Aug. 26-27, 2006), had they been my 1st experiences with a CIS, would not have left me with such a positive impression.

In August, my room's bathroom had been incompletely serviced with supplies. The front desk did remedy this. I noted that the bath linens were rather flat and threadbare; the desk said that new towels were on order.

In December, the towels were different, but 3 of 4 were more threadbare than ever. The front desk said that these were the new towels. They gave me 2 that were a little better, but these were certainly beneath the quality of the original towels that had lasted almost 6 years.

Also in December (and not the 1st time), a sports team with hall-running/door-slamming/loud-talking kids was booked. The front desk did eventually correct the problem, but be aware that this can occur.

Positives: This CIS is very accessible from the freeway and feeders; it's in a SAFE, QUIET neighborhood (ignore previous posters -- bank on it); the staff are uniformly friendly and responsive; the Business Center off the lobby has 2 public computers; the pool and exercise room are nice; the guest rooms are spacious and designed nicely; the A/C units are responsive and just "white-noisy" enough to mask some corridor noise; standard rooms have 2 nightstands and 2 work-desks; the beds are absolutely the most comfortable anywhere; the housekeeping (cleanliness) is immaculate; the microfridge & microwave in the rooms are invaluable assets; there are china plates/cups & silverware, and a coffeemaker; the downstairs breakfast is better and more varied than most; wake-up calls are personal and to-the-minute; check-in & checkout are usually very efficient & speedy; the rooms are well-lighted; and the rooms feature more than enough electrical outlets within view and reach (imagine that!).

All things considered, this CIS is the place to stay in Harlingen.

• Liked — The overall quality of the place and the responsiveness of the staff.
  • Disliked — The inconsiderate teenagers who don't understand that noise CARRIES.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you or your youngsters cannot be as quiet as mice in the halls, please stay home.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
30 Thank TBoneTX
St. Louis
Reviewed August 18, 2006

I was in town on business for five days and I found he hotel and room more than I expected. The room, building, and grounds were very nice. The free breakfast was great, and the breakfast room was inviting and a relaxing place to eat at in the morning. All the employees I met were very helpful and friendly. I will stay there again the next time I am in Harlingen.

Lewis F. Cornwell

13 Thank LewisOntheroadagain
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed November 13, 2005

I was in Harlingen November 9-13 for the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival, and I stayed at the CIS (room 213). In contrast to the other reviewers, I'm not going to focus on the service (which was satisfactory, but nothing out of the ordinary). Instead, I'll focus on the hotel's amenities, which made it very convenient.

First, I was able to reserve a suite. Unlike at some places, a suite at this hotel consists of two separate rooms. (There's actually a door that closes between the bedroom and the living room.) In addition to two queen-sized beds, the suite also had a table with two chairs, a decent-sized couch, an armchair, an end table, a small refrigerator, and a microwave. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was a nice size too--plenty of counter space to put cosmetics, combs, etc.

The hotel also ran a free shuttle bus to and from the municipal auditorium where all of the birding festival events were held. In general, I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the hotel. The lobby smelled very floral-y (which I liked) and in the evenings, the hotel played new age-y/jazz music over the speakers in the lobby. The hotel also had computers with high-speed Internet access (hooked to printers) that I was able to use without an additional charge.

So why didn't I give the hotel an "excellent" rating? Our room was clean enough (note that I would stay here again), but there were scuff marks on the walls, a bit of rust in the shower, the sheet on my bed had a cigarette burn in it, the blanket had a few marks on it, and a lid from a bottle of soda stayed on the floor (in a corner) the entire duration of our stay. (The lid was from a previous guest.) Also, the breakfast buffet tended to get a little sparse if you arrived after about 5 AM. Based on comments from other reviewers, I can only presume the hotel staff would have quickly and satisfactorily addressed all these issues if I'd raised them.

All in all, I enjoyed my time at the CIS and will stay there again if I return to Harlingen.

Stayed November 2005
12 Thank Melodi M
Westminster, CO
Reviewed November 11, 2005

The hotel itself was nice. The rooms were clean. I did notice little ants all over the place though. My biggest complaint was the lack of outdoor lighting. Coming in after dark, the area was almost totally dark (perhaps the street lights simply needed new bulbs?) I only stayed one night and did not feel comfortable outside of the building.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 3, 2005

Thanks to some quick thinking by my company's travel assistant, she booked me at the Country Inn and Suites in Harlingen for a 3 day business trip after learning about the great experience had by another manager who had been in the area two months before my trip.

Normally as part of my business, I travel a lot and have stayed at a number of places in the three state area. I have to say that the first indication that this hotel was going to make the top of my list for the year was the most pleasant and welcoming check in agent, Erica. The room was great and the huge business area was a nice change from what I have seen in the recent past. The hotel was very clean and overall it was a great experience. I'll be back soon!

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business