“Surprisingly delightful”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Harlingen
Houston, Texas
“Surprisingly delightful”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I travel to The Valley (Brownsville, Harlingen, McAllen & surrounding areas) at least once a month for my job. I always spend 5 days and 4 nights when working. Typically, my co workers and I stay at Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Brownsville or Holiday Inn Express & Suites in McAllen, but this time, due to my schedule, I decided to try the Country Inn & Suites in Harlingen. After reading the reviews online from business travelers, I wasn't really confident, but I decided to take a chance and I am certainly glad I did.

Check in is typically around 3 pm, but after a hectic morning dealing with Southwest Airlines, I called to see if it was possible for me to check in around 10:45 am. I expected to be told that my room was not ready and that I'd have to wait, but when I called a very nice young lady assured me it would be no problem. She was more than happy to help and explained that she'd have someone clean my room right away. Upon my arrival, I was greeted by the same young lady at the desk with a smile and friendly attitude. She took the time to explain everything about the hotel and its services. She also told me about places to eat in the area.

The hotel itself is an older hotel, but it is very clean and kept up. Other reviews of the property said that their rooms had a "musty" or "dirty" smell, however, I did not have that experience. My room was on the third floor right across from the elevator. At first glance, I thought this would be a problem, but it wasn't. The hotel is extremely quiet and from inside my room I am not able to hear the elevator or doors slamming in the hallway. The room I had was an actual suite (2 separate rooms with a door in between) not just a large space with a bed and a desk or table. My bed was extremely comfortable. The air conditioning in my room was consistent and not noisy (unlike Holiday Inn Express & Suites). I had a view of the pool and even better, I had a refrigerator and microwave free of charge!! In lots of other hotel chains you have to pay extra. My living room had a couch, a chair with ottoman and a nice little table with two chairs for eating. There was also a full size counter for food preparation, knives, forks & napkins (although I used my own plastic cutlery). Another great perk is that the hotel will deliver breakfast to your room in the morning free of charge!! I don't know if this is reserved for business travelers or if it is a service offered to everyone, but it is very convenient. All you have to do is fill out a form choosing your breakfast choices and then give it to the front desk the day before.

The hotel is less than 10 minutes away from places like the mall, a hospital, Texas Roadhouse, Wing Stop, Jason's Deli, Pappa John's Pizza, HEB, Walgreens, etc.....Also, the hotel is very close to Valley International Airport and from what I could tell the hotel offers a shuttle to the airport if you need it. Overall, I am having a great stay at the Country Inn & Suites and will definitely stay here again if I am in the area.

Room Tip: Choose the highest floor available when selecting a room so you don't have to deal with hearing...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Deann2002

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2012

There were 3 of us all staying in separate rooms and all had the same problem. The rooms had a musty dirty smell that they try to cover it up with room freshner. The comforter had a nasty looking big spot on it and the bathroom floor had hairs on it. The shower curtain was old and moldy looking. I would not walk on the floor without my shoes on. the room was very dark & depressing.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
The staff was nice but didn't have a lot to work with.
I travel all the time and this was one of my worst experiences.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 53BusinessTraveler
silvestro1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harlingen, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
I am truly sorry for your experience during your stay at my hotel. This is the first time I have heard anything of the sort. We take great pride in our customerservice and cleanliness and always strive to surpass our guests expectations. If you would be so kind to contact me with further details, so I assure this does not happen again.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Wonderful friendly staff. Amenities we didn't expect and a very gracious manager. Would definitely use again

• Stayed January 2012
5 Thank Oldz
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I've stayed at my share of hotels. I have to say this Country inn & Suits in Harlingen has great customer service. I feel so welcomed. From when we checked in, to when we checked out they always made sure we were having the best experience not only at the hotel but as well as in the valley. One of the front desk Clerks Roland, I believe, was so helpful on helping my family and I find activities, With 4 kids it's pretty tough to find something they all like to do. My Family is taking a trip to the Valley in February, and their is no doubt, we will be staying there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank Sarah J
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I was in Harlingen for the holidays and decided to stay at Country Inn & Suites. Rolando Chavez took very good care of my family and myself. He's an excellent asset to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011
9 Thank crazyredtx
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I stay at Country Inn and Suite by Carlson in Harlingen Tx every couple weeks. The hotel staff is the best. Always makes sure I am well taken care of . The price is very competitive and the rooms are clean and spacious. I am a business professional and am able to work in the room without interruptions or noise. I highly recommend if you are in the area and need a great place to stay give them a call.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
13 Thank Randy G
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed November 26, 2011

I spent eight days here in and around attending the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival this year, and was very pleased. The value is fantastic. I needed a room with refrigerator and microwave, and got both for a little over half of what another well-known motel chain property in Harlingen was charging. The first floor room was clean and air conditioned, in excellent condition for an older property. The housekeeping staff did a great job over the entire stay. One minor maintenance issue came up, and was dealt with promptly. The free wireless internet was more than adequate. The biggest bonus was the friendliness of the staff, at the front desk, morning and evening, and in the breakfast bar. Also, very handy to the freeway for destinations to the north, west and south/east. Definitely worth coming back to in the future, and a great advertisement for other Carlson properties.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo