“Roaches and Plumbing!!!”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Harlingen
San Antonio, TX
“Roaches and Plumbing!!!”
Reviewed November 10, 2008

After leaving another hotel full of roaches and other problems, we went here and asked to see the room before paying. They gave us a key and everything looked okay until we saw a BIG roach peeking out from behind the headboard of the bed. They then gave us a key to another room that they said was new with new carpet and paint. We checked for roaches and found none but flushed the toilet and it sprayed water all over the floor....If you decide to stay here, inspect the room first....we left and didn't stay the night...

Stayed November 2008
2 Thank MariSanAntonio_TX

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Houston
Reviewed October 7, 2008

We woke up in the middle of the night with BED BUGS biting our entire body!!! Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank YoMomma75

Travelers are raving about these Harlingen hotels

Sugar Land, TX
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,213 helpful votes
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I stayed at this two-floor EconoLodge over the night of 1 December 2007. The EconoLodge is at 1901 W. Tyler, at the intersection of Loop 206. If you are approaching this location from Harrison Street (one of the two main one-way routes through Harlingen), make three left turns to get onto Tyler (the other main one-way route), or cut through the Valero station.

On the day of my stay, the Econo was still in the process of reidentifying itself from the Executive Inn & Suites. A "We Are Now the EconoLodge" banner was hung, but the permanent Executive sign was still up. This caused me a little uncertainty during initial approach.

The Econo is next door to a Burger King and across from a Pancake House. Several other restaurants are well within safe walking distance.

The motel lobby is spacious, well-lit, and spotless. In the outer entry were a snack machine and a coin-operated shoeshine machine. In the outside first-floor corridor were the ice and cola machines. I saw no newspaper machine, but one could walk across the street to Valero for a paper.

I had reserved an excellent rate on the Econo website. The reservation was retrieved immediately and accurately. The knowledgeable, mature front-desk clerkette treated me very courteously and helped me get my geographical bearings.

I had requested "second floor, quietest room possible," and I got this -- room 209, apparently next to the managers. I lugged "Bagzilla" up the one flight of stairs and down the smooth concrete outer corridor. During my stay, I heard no noise except as mentioned below.

The room card activated the door, but the door did not open immediately. Some "shoulder" was required for several of my entrances yet not others; it must have taken a particular touch.

The wall light over the TV did not work, but all other lights did. The room contained a long dresser, a microwave & small fridge (a must!!!), a King bed with two pillows, two nightstands with wall lights above, a phone, a clock/radio, a square table with two chairs, an iron & board, a small open rack for hanging clothes, and an in-room coffeemaker. The TV was old-style (thick back, obsolete come 2009), but it worked perfectly and had all cable channels.

Straight back was the bathroom sink (plenty long enough to spread out toiletries) and a hair-dryer. In a door-closeable area were the toilet and the shower (with curved curtain-rod so that water pressure will not suck the curtain toward a showerer). Water pressure in the sink was good, and slightly below average in the shower and toilet. The shower-head was only around 5'6" above tub level, but water flow could be adjusted by twisting the head. Three small soaps and two packettes of shampoo were provided. The bath linens, while no newer than at other budget motels, were absolutely the softest that I have ever encountered.

The room smelled fine, and everything above floor level was spotless. In contrast, the carpet was completely past its useful life; maybe its replacement will be part of the rehab process as Econo takes hold of this place. Also, there were no spare or visible electrical outlets in the main room.

The air conditioner was very strong, and just the right volume to mask most outside noise. There was no plastic guard to keep the room curtains from billowing, but the windowsill was broad enough and the curtains thick enough to push and keep the curtains against the window.

The mattress and pillows were exceptionally comfortable. I went to bed with a backache but awoke without it -- unprecedented.

The room walls seemed very thick (a must). The only incoming noise was from the very heavily traveled intersection outside -- perhaps the busiest in Harlingen. This noise was only from vehicles without mufflers, teenagers blasting their car radios, and perhaps 18-wheelers. The noise was noticeable but never disturbing.

At 6:30 a.m., the infernal clock/radio went off. Will I ever learn to unplug these things from the walls as a matter of procedure? Regardless, I slept very well. My wake-up phone call for 7:45 came at 7:51, via the computerized "beeping" system.

The Econo serves a continental breakfast, but I didn't see or sample it.

Checkout was easy, speedy, and courteous. The polite young clerkette visibly and verbally appreciated my mentioning the out-of-order room light. The approximate 5-mile drive to the airport was very straightforward.

Normally, if a motel room has the negatives that I've mentioned, I will absolutely fry the place in a TripAdvisor review. However, because of the pluses mentioned above, I was positive during my stay and remain with that feeling now. This Econo has its act together. Although it is not luxurious by any stretch, I could and would stay here again for a night or longer. This Econo is not the Country Inn & Suites, but it may (depending on your opinion) compete with the inconsistent Super 8 (see those reviews), and I recommend that you give the EconoLodge a try.

• Liked — The front-desk staff were the most knowledgeable and alert imaginable.
  • Disliked — Approach by car can be challenging if you're uncertain of how exactly to reach the place.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank TBoneTX
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 29, 2002

Great room for the price. Great location and very clean.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member