“Great Service & Wonderful Food!”

La Playa Mexican Cafe
Ranked #1 of 170 Restaurants in Harlingen
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Dahlonega, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Service & Wonderful Food!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We found La Playa through the recommendation of a server in another, soon-to-be-closed, Mexican Restaurant. We ate one meal there, and were hooked! I've had Mexican (although here in Harlingen, it is more accurately called "Tex-Mex" food) food all over the US and in Mexico, but this restaurant stands well above the rest. My wife and I have a long way to go to sample all the many menu choices, but of the dozens of meals we've eaten there, we have yet to find a dish we didn't like. The service is quick and courteous, the food plentiful and the environment is best described as "cheerfully noisey" when the place is full. We now eat there at least once a week and strongly recommend this restaurant. There is a dish to suit any appetite!!

• Visited May 2012

Corpus Christi
“La Playa Mexican Cafe Harlingen”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

The atmosphere was great and welcoming.Though it was a bit pricey by most Mexican restaurant standards,their menu had some unique twists on Mexican food I had never seen elsewhere.
The food was very good,if not exactly what we were used to as Mexican fare.
Most people,I believe,will lke this place.I rate it above average and would return for another dinner when in the area.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank jmdrmd2
Hoffman,MN
“very yummy”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My all time place to get a good meal, price is also good

Visited January 2012
Harlingen, Texas
“Unique twist on Mexican food”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is our favorite restaurant in Harlingen. And we have eaten there many many times over the last 3 years.

They have some really unique things on the menu and they are very good, like fried, stuffed avocados, and Fried eggplant with seafood stuffing! (my favorite)

Its always busy but the service is excellent. The restaurant is pretty loud and busy and the parking is horrible.

• Visited March 2012
Rogers, Arkansas
“Another Mexican Restaurant”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Based on our first visit, this restaurant is just another Mexican restaurant with so-so food. Service was good and atmosphere is OK. I had the shrimp fajitas and the shrimp had little to no taste – a definite disappointment since Harlingen is so close to the Gulf. My wife had chicken fajitas and they were good but not great. We definitely get much better tasting fajitas at Chili’s. We visit family in Harlingen occasionally and have tried other places searching for authentic, fresh, and great tasting Mexican food. Overall La Playa is as good of Mexican food as we have had in Harlingen, but based on this visit it definitely is not what I would consider great – or even good. I suppose we will try it again next visit (but not the shrimp fajitas!). I hope what I have is better next time.

• Visited March 2012