“This was like eating at the state fair.”
Review of The Grill

The Grill
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Groom
Cuisines: American
Description: This little diner did not come up on the GPS, the one that did here, along the old route 66 and just off I-40, was a gem. We had a breakfast there and enjoyed much better food than we would have had at the chains. Highly recommend.
Panhandle, Texas
“This was like eating at the state fair.”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Order the burger and the garlic fries. You will not be disappointed. These are both freshly made and wonderfully delicious. Not a place I'd eat at every day, but great for a special occasion comfort food run.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank farmwife68

• Indonesian first
Memphis, Tennessee
“So delicious I can't wait to return next year!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I were heading home after a visit to relatives in Texas and decided to stop for dinner. I found this place on google maps and it had good reviews so we decided to give it a try since it was one of the few places that had options for my husband (he does not eat poultry, beef, or pork). At first blush the place did not look promising. Groom, TX is literally in the middle of nowhere and was surrounded by decrepit looking buildings, which is a little disconcerting at 6pm in the winter when it is dark and dreary. We were the first customers to arrive for dinner, which added to the desolate feeling. As soon as we sat down and opened the menu I was so glad we made the trip off the interstate because this is one of the best family restaurants I have been to in a long time. I decided to go with the chicken fried steak since that is my default meal in any restaurant that serves it and my husband went with the fried fish sandwich. Our waitress said that everything was homemade (no fried chicken strips here!) and boy was she not kidding. The food was so good I wish I were hungrier because I would have ordered several entrees. My chicken fried steak had delicious creamy gravy and a side of fries (get a side of the fries, they are really really good). Although when I tasted the fish sandwich I regretted not ordering that because it was absolutely superb. We are still trying to figure out what they put in the breading, it was that good. We decided to take dessert to go (carrot cake and pistachio cake) to go and both were excellent. I think it is worth mentioning that the women's restroom was absoluely precious. It had little quotes on the walls and ladies hats hanging up. It is clear that someone put a lot of love into this place, from every item on the menu down to the mirror on the restroom wall. The only thing i dislike about this place is that it is 11 hours from my home!

• Visited November 2012
“We met the nicest people and the food was great. Definitely worth looking for!”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband ordered a breakfast burrito which he said was as good as anything in Santa Fe. I had a sausage and cheese omelet and hash browns which I thoroughly enjoyed. And do try the Texas toast!

Harrison, Idaho
“Great Start for the Day!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

On my trek across the country, from Florida to Idaho, I drove into Groom, Texas and saw the sign for The Grill. The hostess was delightful (especially that early in the morning) and the food was delicious. This cozy little country diner, along Route 66, is a true gem.

• Visited October 2012
“Great breakfast!”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Had omelet and homemade biscuit. The staff are jewels! Thanks ladies for making it fun!