“Vacation Was Ruined”

Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I had wrote a review of this a few weeks ago and it was removed, so here is my second try.

Upon arriving at the Great Wolf I was pleased with the lobby and outside of the building. The whole thing was very nice. The person who checked me in was great.
We checked in around 2 pm and quickly went to the water park to let our kids play. We decided around 5 pm to go to the Rainforest Cafe to eat and realized that our vehicle had been stolen.

Let me just say that I do know that Great Wolf has no control over that (to a point), but my problem with the facility is the absence of security cameras in the parking lot. This is a place that encourages you to leave your possessions in your vehicle upon check in and after checking out so that you can enjoy the water park and there is NO ONE watching the parking lot and they have no cameras if something were to occur.

My husband was charged $10 that night by the hotel shuttle to go to a convenience store to replace some stolen items. ?!?!?!?!?

In addition, the security guy pretty much had a "What do you want me to do" attitude. Not ONCE did anyone from the Great Wolf contact us to see if we needed any help getting a rental or anything else. I didn't expect an engraved apology, but just checking on your guest would have been appreciated.

After sending them an email with my concerns about the absence of security in the parking lot after they encourage people to leave their belongings in a locked vehicle (as was ours when it was stolen) I was told that security cameras would cause a lot of additional things to come into play. Ummm...okay. I will say that they did give me a free nights stay after I complained when I got home, which I highly doubt I will be using.

I will say that the food we ate here (which was pretty much a necessity after being stuck without a vehicle) was good. We really enjoyed the breakfast buffet. My kids did have a good time at the water park. I just want to caution people against leaving ANYTHING in their vehicles and if you have a problem I wouldn't expect anyone to respond to you with any care or concern.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank LittleMP

Reviewed June 6, 2010

This is a resort for kids. We parents get to tag along and have a good time also. Safe area of town. Rooms are of a mid-level hotel quality. We slept six in family suite ($280) fine. Bathroom layout is tight but no big complaints. Plenty of shopping, golf, and food within five miles if you need to get out or save a few dollars on food or have some different activities. 30 mins to six flags, Pro Sports and Boadway shows. Food quality of applebees type resturant at a higher price. This is not the Ritz, this is a place to get out of your room and play with your kids. If your kids are jr. high and older, I would feel fine letting them run around on their own. Place is going to be full all the time. Wait time for any activity was good considering amount of people there. Never had a problem waiting for a chair by the pool, or a table to have dinner. Good reviews from friends who did spa. Not sure I agree with all the complaints posted.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2010

First let me say, i have read all the comments on here and most of them are wrong. This place is perfect for a family with kids and/or teens. The park is great and there is plenty to do. I think the people who are complaining on here are looking for more of a room service and wait on me hand and foot type of staff. This is a huge hotel with a inside and outside park. It has a large section for toddlers and a section for kids that are early school age. It really does have something for all ages. It also has a nice size arcade and a place where kids can do arts and crafts, if you are over 12 you have your own area with computers and games in it. We ate at the buffet twice and restaurant once, the prices were a little higher than a Applebees or Chillis but considering the fact you dont have to leave the lodge....it was worth it. They have a game the kids can play that is interactive with paintings and treasure chest that are scattered all over the lodge. Its fun and they have to get plenty of exercise to play it also gives them something to do besides swim. It tires them out really quickly. The beds were not near as bad as they are saying on here. I have back issues and cant sleep on real soft mattress...these beds were about the same as any other place i slept.. So summary....food was good, rooms comfortable and plenty of stuff to do at the lodge. My kids had a blast and was really sad to come home. The only thing that i disliked was i missed out on the stay 2 nights get 3rd free promo!!! If u r fixing to make reservations ask about the PROMO!!!! MOST IMPORTANTLY this is a family place that is centered around kids...its fun and kids are running around having a blast. Dont go if u r looking for a quiet and peaceful relaxing trip, goto a place that is centered for that...But if u are looking for a place to take the kids and everything u need is right there with you, THIS IS IT!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2010

We recently stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine Texas during memorial weekend.
We originally made reservation online for two night with a balcony but then found an undisclosed / unadvertised military rate and reserved that. Upon arrival there was a delay in checking in since the front desk clerk did not how to handle the rate. We were then told that the "Heroes" rate did not apply to the room with a balcony. However the supervisor "just happen" to have a room with a balcony and would honor that room and the Heroes rate.
Within 30 minutes of our arrival, the toilet was leaking. Called maintenance and they did arrive within 10 minutes. Food was average and somewhat on the expensive for burgers and such. The resort is really geared toward small chidren (2-14).

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2010

I have been to several of the GWL properties, and I have to say that the layout at Grapevine is the worst I've seen in any hotel, let alone a Great Wolf property. The impressive entry and structure are overwhelmed by a parking lot that is inconvenient, no valet service, the only entrance you can bring your luggage in, is through the lobby so if your room isn't right off the lobby, you are walking a mile. At all the other Great Wolf properties you can use your wristband to unlock the outside doors near your room. Not here. I understand security issues, but if you have a valid wristband, you should be able to use the door near your room so that you're not carrying luggage and equipment the 1/2 mile from the crappy parking spot, through the lobby, down the elevator, and down to your basement room.
I can also see why people were unhappy with the staff. I had a brief morning meeting, and overheard a couple of the lifeguards lamenting their "crappy job". wow. Maybe they could go work at 7-11 where you would expect someone to not enjoy their job, not at a waterpark for crying out loud. I also only received eye contact and friendly greetings from the housekeeping staff, not the aquatics staff or food and beverage people.
I know this sounds like a bad review, but Great Wolf Lodges are wonderful family places, and usually have friendly, smiling, helpful employees that go out of their way to make sure you have a good time. I take my family to the other lodges regularly, but I don't think I would bring them to Grapevine, until they work out the parking and attitude issues. Other reviewers are right, the staff here could learn a lot from the Disney staff.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank frankthehook
Reviewed May 14, 2010

We Love this place, we have been here at least 9 or 10 times. We don't care for the restaurants they are too expensive. We discovered lots of eating places on the same road so we leave and eat other places. We really like the ice cream shop/ pastry shop, we have to visit it several times every time we go. The Waterpark is awesome and you need to ride the tornado after dark its crazy scary. When the waterpark closes we hit the awesome arcade and play til it closes. We played the magic quest wand game but it takes several days to get through it so if its a short trip I don't reccommend it . The pizza hut is great late at nite but for dinner unless you just don't want to leave the pizza hut down the road is a lot cheaper. This is the perfect getaway! We're going again in June !

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Everything was very expensive at this hotel ..mostly for young kids....take alot of money with you...

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family