“Expensive, uncomfortable, kids need to be 48 inches to ride big rides”

Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was very impressive looking when we first arrived. The awe is short lived when you start hearing the prices for things. Check in was pretty easy and the cart for your luggage was easy to use. The hotel gives you wrist bands that have chips in them that connect all purchases to your room. The wrist bands were great because you didn't have to bring your wallet anywhere in the hotel but was uncomfortable to me when I was sleeping. When we arrived in our room it was ok but had a feel of being a little old. The ac did not work properly and had to be set on 62 for the room to feel like 74. Once we put our stuff away we went down to check out the water park. The water park was nice and areas for all ages. My son's are 3 and 1 and both enjoyed the time. If you don't swim be aware the temperature is kept at 84 so it may get a little worm. The kids with diapers do wear diapers but they are swim diapers, if that makes a difference. The big tube rides were really fun but with small children we had to trade off watching the kids. The food wasn't bad but for the price it could have been better. Once we were done the first day the night began. The mattress was uncomfortable and the room didn't cool off. The tv was older and didn't have the best picture quality. The shower made noises when adjusting the water. We did not try the quest adventure because our children were to young. The bunk bed mattresses were really firm to the point where my 3 year old complained about them. Once the long night was over my wife said let's eat breakfast at the hotel restaurant. My wife tried to persuade me by telling me it was a breakfast buffet. I can't think of anything I want to do less then eat a giant breakfast before a day at a water park but we went anyways. The food was good but the buffet was like $13 a person and during the breakfast time they have a robotic show at the house in the lobby so the kids were up and down all breakfast. After breakfast it was another day in the water park. We never tried the bar and grill in the hotel because it seemed really pricey for food and drinks. Last thing is capacity. We were under half capacity when we stayed and it still seemed crowded so I can't imagine what 75-100% would be like. The idea of the hotel is good but it just seemed a little old and way to pricey for what you get.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Justified40cal
Write a ReviewReviews (5,483)

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We just checked in yesterday for a three night stay at The Great Wolf Lodge. The experience was bad right from the beginning. The front desk staff was very rude and talking to each other instead of concentrating on getting me checked in. The carpet in the hotel is ABSOLUTELY disgusting!! There are staines everywhere you look both in the room and in the hallways. The water park is more than I expected but don't expect any skiing faces from the lifeguard staff….they do not like their job and it shows!!! I think the ONLY employee with a smile on her face was the greeter to the indoor water park entrance. She was retired and very pleasant. The staff allows babies in the pools with diapers!!! I went to complain and they acted like I had a problem. I guess my Marriott standards that I am used to are way above this hotel. DO NOT try the food. I headed the warnings of others and was happy I did. I asked several people who were eating if the food was good and they said "no…go out to eat".
Needless to say….we are cutting our stay early at The Great Wolf Lodge and heading next door to finish out our stay at The Gaylord Texan……a world of difference. We were going to stay there but the kids wanted to try this hotel out….after two house they were even asking to go to The Gaylord!!!

Room Tip: I don't know of any tip…for the money it's a better value to go to The Gaylord during the su...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Heatherly4
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We recently stayed at the GWL in Texas for the first time. We stayed 5 days/4 nights. I had read several reviews here and was a little worried about things like them not accepting debit cards or being forced to accept expensive upgrades. None of that is the case at all! I booked and paid the deposit with my debit card, and paid my remaining balance due with the same credit card upon arrival. We had also signed up for upgraded rooms. Since we went during Thanksgiving week, no upgrades were available. We were issued the room we reserved and it was great - very spacious and the kids loved the kid cabin area. There is so much to do here beyond just the attached waterpark area - spa (kid and adult), arcade, laser tag, etc. The MagiQuest 'game' that involves all floors and areas of the hotel was the neatest thing! Luckily, my children are old enough (10 & 15) that they were able to search for the clues and go up and down the 'hidden staircase' by themselves. I did see many very tired parents of little ones that needed their help! It can get quite expensive - we brought some items with us from home (paper plates, bowls, utensils, cereal, pop tarts, etc) so we weren't eating out ALL the time. There is a Dollar General 2 miles away where we purchased a gallon of milk and some other items which helped us budget our money for other things. The Gaylord Texan is literally across the street and also has many, many fun things to do. The Grapevine Mills mall is also down the street. They have a great movie theater and restaurants. Medieval Times in Dallas is about 20 minutes away and is a fun thing to go to. We had a great time and will definitely go again!

Room Tip: If noise is an issue for you - ask for a room as far from the elevators as possible. The MagiQuest...
1  Thank Ann H
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Came here for Thanksgiving weekend, and went swimming a few times. Water park is pretty good size so you can keep on general idea where your kids are, but it just a tad too small. Plenty of lifeguards and such around.

Room was really good. Good size. We had the kids suite, and there was 2 adults and 4 kids. It worked out well for us. We did not use shower in room much as there were a lot of us. So we used shower in water area

Would not use kids spa area. $100 for mani/pedi? Are they kidding? Totally dumb.

We did not eat anywhere on property. You can bring food on property. Nice size table and what not for storage of food in room.

When we arrived we called to get a fridge with a metal pole (since it was missing) We never got it??

$30.95 for a wand to walk around with? Very expensive for the kids.

Overall too much chlorine in AIR in water area. We had 2 kids not wanting to go back the next day. Nice hotel, but sort of a lot of money for the days, when kids don't want to go back to water park.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Divebabydive
Reviewed November 26, 2013

This was our first time at this property. From the time you pull up you can pretty much tell out of controll kaos. Now let me say my kids who are 9 & 10 enjoyed it. From a perent stand point, way over priced for what you get. Compete kaos with a good portion of the kids not supervised by their parents. The valet parking is $19 which is about average for most hotel, however the valet is a private company that leaves at 11pm and returns at 7am there is no way for you to call down from your room in advance, you have to walk down to the valet and give them your ticket. This is almost like a self serve hotel, people everywhere with those carts they use at airports pushing their luggage and ice chest and food boxes was crazy. We use the bell service guys and they were wonderful. There is no room service, there are place to eat at great wolf but seem sthe majority of people slep their own food and drinks to the rooms. The room was clean nothing fancy and nice size for 7 people. The indoor water park is ok size. The water was warm and inside was warm for it being 34 degrees outside. The other big thing here is the Magi quest game where kids pay for a wand than you pay to activate the wand and to add facy handles to the wand etc, but they are sent on adventures which our boys enjoyed they have thing on every floor 1 - 8 in the hallways so there are kids everywhere, my wife and also notice at least 1/2 of kids are on their own no parents with them. Not the hotels fault, but they may want to look into having some sort of rule about that. It can be quite loud especially if you room is closer to the elevators. this can go up to 11pm at nite. Overall our kids had fun its not a bad place not a great place. Would i make this my vacation choice just to go too, if i didin't have a buisness meeting or conference in Dallas most likely not. If I am paying $400 a night for a room, I personally expect alot more from a hotel.

Room Tip: Do not get a room close to the elevators or on the Dallas Airport side
2  Thank docgary
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Not worth it.food took an hour. No update. Place was 1/3 full. Not quality hotel service. Food was average. Ahi burger raw. Definitely don't put kids through it. Price average. Trust me you will spend your time there.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank amydeloach
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Hello,
We are very disappointed in our experience at Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, TX.
We had booked the KidCabin Suite because we had three children and there were three beds in the pictures... I didn’t realize I needed to read the fine print when I selected an "accessible" suite by accident (only thing marking it as “accessible” was a small blue wheelchair symbol).. which really isn't that accessible as the shower is not wheelchair accessible (most places would have the bathroom is one continuous floor with a seat in the shower area to accommodate those with limited mobility needs ... )
So our 3 kids arrive in the room expecting to sleep together in a cabin… only two single beds due to accessible room…. All KidCabins sold out, so no option offered from front desk, or even the Manager on duty .. Kids having meltdown after 5 hour drive, arriving close to bed time… Can you say nightmare?
Add insult to injury, that while we are at checkin people are being given the standard KidCabin for 1/3 the price we paid online…
I called to have roll-away brought to room… and I had to rearrange room to force the roll-away into the “cabin” which is now wall to wall bed and no area to play.. or call their own… Again not what the kids had expected…
So we are turning this lemon of a vacation into something positive for us… no thanks to Great Wolf Lodge. This will be the last time we stay at Great Wolf Lodge.
I guess Great Wolf would win in a court of law as they have the standard CYA fineprint.. but definitely not in our hearts... We will not be coming back to this Hotel... and would definitely not recommend it to any of our friends. I feel duped and was offered no alternatives.

Room Tip: Be prepared to spend a lot of cash.
4  Thank TexasHerrmanns