“Condescending staff & mgmt, crappy food”

Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Killeen, Texas, USA
“Condescending staff & mgmt, crappy food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

This place is way to overpriced for what they offer. The waterpark is the only "unique" part of the location, and I get a little concerned about water, heat, and funky bodies being trapped indoors at all times. Stuff grows in that environment.

The website is misleading, pictures of rooms that don't exist, or aren't available even though you reserve it. GWL has no problem cutting things out of your reservation and saying "tough luck" about it. The food (mainly just the buffet) is beyond sub-par, to the point of absolutely nasty. The other restaurant's food is ok, atleast edible. If you think someone in management anywhere up the chain gives a damn, they don't. You're cattle to them.

We go for magicquest, the waterpark isn't that interesting after the first time. In the future we'll skip staying here and just come during the day for the game. You can get the same quality hotel and treatment from a Motel 6, but atleast at Motel 6 it's only $40/night so you're not let down by the poor experience. If it was summer, I don't know why anyone would stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hallways might be quieter, but the rooms at a completely different resort wo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Mike M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
dallas, tx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

We visited GWL as a winter treat with our 3 small daughters who love the water. The kids especially liked the wave pool and splash grounds but the big slide was too scary for them. Really my only complaint was the noise--it is deafening!! The sound from all the pumps moving all that water is like a 747--You open the doors to the water park and immediately take note of the overwhelming sound level. I recommend wearing ear plugs to reduce the risk of harming your hearing.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank drtld
Baytown, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

The kids liked the water park but get ready to spend theme park prices on everything from the cost of the room to the prices of the mediocre food throughout the hotel. We went in November but because of the lines and prices I would definitely not waste my time or money in the summer when there are plenty of other much better water park options around Texas. We brought in our own snacks for between meals which helped. The kids enjoyed the 4D ride in the hotel. The rooms were nothing great but a reasonable size. I must warn that depending on where your room is kids are up running through the halls all hours of the night playing Magiquest. The water park itself stayed reasonably warm but the water itself was a bit cold.

• Stayed November 2012
Wichita Falls, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I booked a Kids Cabin Suiteand one adult and four 13-year olds for the weekend before Thanksgiving. It was for my son's 13th birthday. I have read a lot of the reviews on this site and I think I can relate to most of them in some way. This place is not for everyone but keep in mind that it is for kids.

First, the room was fine and yes the bunks were uncomfortable but these boys didn't care. I slept in the queen bed and it was comfortable. IMO, it was a typical three star hotel room. I think the logic here is that you don't spend that much time in the room. The only thing I was a bit puzzled about was the tv in the main area. It was the old style tube tv and pretty small. The boys didn't really care so neither did I. That is just an observation. I decided to take drinks and snacks and it was a good call. I spent $75.00 at Walmart and I took an ice chest with gatorade, water and soda along with snacks and even some frozen chicken sandwiches and sliders. I also took some fruit. We had the breakfast buffet once and it was fine at a cost of about $45.00. For some reason we got charged with 3 adults and two children so I guess we lucked out. I think it is supposed to be $13.00 each plus tax. We ordered pizza to our room once and it was horrible. Cost was about $30.00 with tip. Even my son, the pizza king, did not like it. There was hardly any sauce so there was no taste. They should learn to put more sauce and less cheese, which will still save them money on making pizza. Moral here: don't eat the pizza! We did not participate in the magicquest or any of that. I felt like the boys were too old and they showed no interest anyway.
As for the waterpark, we all thought it was fabulous. Yes it smells like chlorine but what do you expect in a closed environment? The water wasn't that cold to us. Outdoor waterparks initially seem much colder because of the outside temp. After you get used to it, it's seems normal. The rides were great, although two of them scared the pants off me. The lines were much shorter than Hurricane Harbor. Lots of seating too. Hot tub and a bar for the adults, which I loved. I gave each boy $25.00 for the arcade that night and they really enjoyed it. The best thing of all: the door key wrist bands. It was great to be able to give all the boys a room key without worrying about them losing it. They could come and go as they pleased. All in all, I am sure we will be back. If you are looking for the Ritz, keep looking, but if you are looking for a place that is all about the kids, not the adults, Great Wolfe is for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Karen M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

we went to great wolf lodge for my sons birthday the kids loved it as well as the adults, very safe place for little kids and it has outdise pool area too, loved it we will come agian..they have a game room, nail salon for the girls, ice cream/ candy shop this place is a kids wonderland.you can also have birthday partys there, we will try that one next year.

Room Tip: look online they have discounts on rooms
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Our family stayed at Great Wolf over Thanksgiving break. It's a 3.5 star hotel with a water park. The water park is the best part of the lodge. It is probably better for older kids. Our son was a little young (20 months). The food is expensive and not that great. It was a little cold, but we just needed a snack. We decided to leave that night & go out for dinner at another restaurant. The breakfast buffet was good, but also pricey. They are not scared to charge you for everything here. The rooms were clean, but not that updated. It was nice to wear the RFID bands to get into your room & order the food. Very convenient & nice to not worry about a room key to keep up with. Overall, our stay was good. We will probably go back when our kids get older.

• Stayed November 2012
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We took our son and 3 of his buddies to celebrate his 10th birthday. This place is perfect for 10-year old kids to run freely around in a safe environment. They had their wristbands (one was a room key) which gave them all the freedom they needed. Bring a lot of money to take part in all the different activities. You cannot go to this place on a budget - it will just be a disappointment. Although it was an expensive night, we never really felt ripped off. Activities were priced right and the kids had so much fun that the cost wasn't a big deal. The staff were super friendly to the kids, held doors open for the parents and were just very accommodating overall. The Kid's Cabin room was awesome, the boys had a great time on the bunkbeds and controlling their own TV. Loved that the boys could venture thru the hotel and go back and forth between the slides and the arcade and didn't require constant parent supervision. Made it a fun time for my husband and me too. Tips: take the stairways - the elevators took forever and were crowded. The rooms had refrigerators and microwaves so you can bring your own drinks and snacks.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $$ and get the kid's cabin. Lots of fun and creates some privacy for the parent...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family