“Good place for family with kids”

Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Austin, Texas
“Good place for family with kids”
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Check in time is 4 pm. We arrived at 12 , tried to check in. Lucky us. They have room available for us. No extra charged for check in early. Super cool. Bedtime story is nice for the kids. Services n staff are good. The room have a lot of towels ,don't need to ask fo more. Big room. Comfort bed. Flat screen tv in my room with cable (luxery king room) . Free wifi. The food are little expensive . But its normal. Will be back when we in Dallas.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank congchihan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Weatherford, Texas
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was my third trip and second birthday party for my 11 yo daughter. The first time we had a themed room with bunk beds ( which resulted in a meltdown for the child that got the bottom bunk). This time, we got a plain room with 2 queens and a pullout couch bedd. I let the kids sleep on the Queens and I slept on the pullout. The pullout couch was as comfortable as you would expect. The queens were great. I hate the children running and screaming. I saw several elderly adults who could have lost their balance with this. I don't allow my kids to run and am amazed by the adults who didn't correct their children. My daughter lost her magic wand and topper that evening and the wonderful staff at Magiquest replaced it exactly with older lost wand parts. This saved my daughters birthday from becoming a bad ( and very expensive) experience. I was very impressed at all times with the Magiquest staff. You can tell the staff are nerds ( role playing gamers, anime fest enthusiasts, and renaissance faire reenactors). This makes them the perfect staff for such an activity.

Room Tip: Themed rooms are cool, but especially with older kids, you won't be in the room that much. A reg...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Docnaz
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

First of all the staff was great-attentive and helpful.This place is huge,I mean big.The room are very nice.The room I stayed was a king suite,the ceiling were high,partion in the room so my little one had their privacy,as well as my Wife and I.The waterpark was awesome,just so you know I'm 30yo I was like a kid in this waterpark.Awesome waterslides,wave pool,water treehouse was my favorites,at the end of the day was so tried slept like a baby.So much more I DIDN'T explore,plus you pay with cash or have funds transferred to your Roomkey Wristband,never having to worry about losing money or Roomkey.See you in November!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank FoodRecon
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This place is HUGE!! The staff is very helpful. Some rooms are themed. There are activities all day! The water park is the bomb.com!! I plan to make this place an annual visit for the family. And if needed, there's a Walmart and Target within close proximity.

Room Tip: Request a cabin room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Joseph M
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My 4,6,and 8 year old boys loved the indoor and outdoor waterpark and the arcade. Next time they want to get the Paw Pass but we felt they were too young for the Magiquest this time. I wanted to relax and not run around the resort looking for clues. My youngest enjoyed the Robot made ice cream and they also had fun in the Laser Frenzy.Their gift shop had everything and storytime was great. My 8yr old made us proud by getting on the Tornado. We had so much fun and we will be going back.

Room Tip: Poolview away from elevators
1 Thank Karin R
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was our 2nd trip to GWL. We were better prepared this time, so the visit went more smoothly. We arrived on the day of check in about 12:30. The room wasn't ready, but we were able to check our bags and get our wristbands to start using the water park. On this visit, we purchased Paw Passes for the kids. For $65 plus tax, they got to do several things on the property that would have cost much more if we had purchased them individually. You can start using the Paw Pass as soon as you arrive. You don't have to wait until your room is ready. It is good until the park closes the day you check out.

Our overall stay was fine. The room was very clean and functional. The bed, while not the most comfortable I've ever slept in, was fine. The staff at the hotel was very nice and tried hard to be helpful. We had no staff or room issues at all.

We only stayed one night and with the Paw Pass, it was kind of a rushed visit. While the kids enjoyed the Paw Pass greatly, I think it would be better for a 2 night stay. We spent a lot less time in the water park because we spent a lot of time doing the activities on the Paw Pass. It includes arcade tokens, a "build a bear" type stuffed animal, ice cream, create your own t-shirt, glitter tattoo, photo with a GWL character (which is taken after story time at 8 pm), and the MagiQuest wand and game. The MagiQuest game is what really eats up your time. If you can convince your kids to do just one of two of the "quests," then you can spent 30 minutes or so on it and it will be fun. However, my kids (and most of the others we saw) wanted to complete the whole thing, not just a couple of the quests. We spent 4 hours playing this game. During this time, you are running up and down the hotel stairs looking for various objects that are located all over the hotel. The guide book they give you contains a couple of important typos, and that results in having to go down to the main MagiQuest station of the first floor to get help. The kids liked it, but I can't say it was particularly enjoyable. It was more of a task than an adventure. My kids are 6 and 8 and kids that age cannot complete the game by themselves. It will be you that is reading the guide book and dragging them around looking for the objects needed. It seemed like the teen and tween set was having a lot more fun with this game than the younger ones were. The older kids are able to read the book themselves and decipher the clues. Little ones are not. There were countless tired and frustrated parents running up and down the stairs with their confused little ones in tow trying to locate certain items needed for the quest. When we finally finished, we had a sense of camaraderie and accomplishment that was nice and, overall, it will be a good family memory, but I can't say that I was feeling that way while the "quest" was in progress!

Room Tip: We got the Wolf Den. It gives the kids their own little space with a TV and bunk beds.
36 Thank Dallas_Traveler3
Chicago
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Reserved the Big Bear Suite which sleeps 6-8 people. Room was totally dysfunctional. King Bed has 4 posts and a canopy which was hokey. The ceiling fan was over the dresser NOT over the bed. Second bedroom had 2 queens which were nice and a ceiling fan that was over the dresser. They ran the electrical only 3 feet from the wall instead of centering it in the room. So the fan did not cool you when sleeping.

There was a large bar that jetted out into the middle of the living room. Couldn't see a purpose to this as there was no cooking ability nor was there any TV in this room. Only a pull out sofa that seats 2. I didn't understand the purpose of the bar and it took up so much space. The closet space for this large room consisted of a rack next to the bar - so all your clothes are hanging in the living room. Weird.

There are NO electrical outlets to charge your devices - unless you unplug a lamp or the clock.

The deal breaker for me was that this room that sleeps 6-8 people had only ONE bathroom. Totally not functional for a room that sleeps this many people.

These suites are located next to the elevator which is also where the MagiQuest treasure hunt video games are located. Magiquest is a game that requires a laser wand that can be purchased or it comes with a package deal. The kids go hunting for these machines where they zap it with their laser and get clues for the where the next game is located. We were on the 7th floor and kids started playing this thing at 7am and could play until 11pm. So if you have little ones that are trying to sleep, they will most definitely be awakened by these LOUD recordings that come from the machine each time someone zaps it. HORRIBLE.

Water park was great. Safe for kids, however, I didn't appreciate the lifeguards putting an adult male on a raft with my young teenage girls because he had nobody to ride down the slide with - here's a suggestion, put him on with a bunch of boys or dads. It freaked my girls out more than me, and they were nervous to ride the slide again.

Restaurants in the hotel were loud (with all the kids and the open spaces) and the service was slow. Food was mediocre. They have a pizza hut inside but I saw a lot of people bringing large coolers into their rooms and ordering pizza delivery for a cheaper option.

All in all this place is really designed for families with younger kids as they have coloring and storytime and an arcade where you can win tickets for junky prizes. They insist that everyone wears a wristband which also acts as your room key and, if you want, a charge card to buy things and charge to your room. Great idea, however, I was going out to dinner at a fancy place and didn't want a shocking pink wristband on my arm. Note: If you lose the wristband, it cost $40 to replace.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the elevators as there are video type games there that kids play from 7am...
5 Thank TravelMom500
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Comfort Suites DFW N/Grapevine
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas DFW Airport North
Hyatt Place Dallas/Grapevine
Super 8 Grapevine/DFW Airport Northwest
Hilton DFW Lakes Executive Conference Center
Hilton Anatole
Hilton Anatole
#33 of 203 in Dallas

Been to Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine? Share your experiences!