“Customer service is a joke” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine

Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Granbury, Texas
“Customer service is a joke”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I got a great deal on Groupon for the family. I have three kids and suprised them one day by taking them to the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine. Now, i got a half price deal which was still over 200.00 for one night stay. The waterpark was nice and the kids had fun, my problem was with the customer service, r lack of I should say. First thing, we get in at 1:00 which is the time we are allowed in to the water park after checking in. The room was not ready, which I was aware might happen. My wife and kids go ahead and go to park while I wait with Luggage in lobby. Three hours later I ask the front desk if My room is ready. He looks up my name, and tells me I havent checked in yet, to where my reply is showing him the bracelet key on my wrist. His reply is "oh, she forgot to cue you in", to which I reply, "C,mon Man". He then tells me to "hold on". I tell him I have been holding on for three hours. He fixes the key, that is on my wrist by giving me a new one. and tells me to have fun. No apology, no we screwed up, nothing. The staff is mostly teens grouped together laughing and talking waiting for someone to ask for help, rather than offering to serve. Pizza place served me pizza, salads, and burned breadticks. went up to 8th floor, no napkins, plates, or forks. Management is scarce, and lifegaurds look pissed. Not what i expected from a so called "Resort". Positive- rides are fun. Thats it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank Chris C
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear you were able to participate in our Groupon promotion but, that does not make up for the issues during your trip.
We pride ourselves on customer service, and your comments have been shared with our Director of Guest Services.

I hope that you and your family will give us another chance to show you a true Great Wolf Lodge experience.

Kind Regards,
Jack Bateman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Colorado Springs, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

My family and I stood here during my last stay in Grapevine, Texas and may I say we absolutely loved it! Think of all any water park you've been to, now picture it indoors in mid winter! As we stood here there were a lot of joyous opportunities for us to enjoy, an arcade, fun places to eat inside with many delicious meals, such as a Pizza Hut, Starbucks for your everyday essential coffee run, and many more. They have an enjoyable little game for the kids to play as they venture their way through the lodge! The rooming is great as well, room service went above and beyond their business call! Their were some staff members that weren't as pleasant as others, we happened to hear a manager speaking ill of one of his employees in the restaurant upstairs which came off to be very unprofessional in the eyes of my wife and I since we happened to work HR for quite some time.
Aside from that we had a blast! Bring the whole family, and have a high spending budget, this area isn't cheap! :-)

Room Tip: They do offer different rooms, but to be honest, keep the rooming as simple as possible there's...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank James M
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Spent one night there and paid close to 500 dollars for the worst rooms I have ever been in. The beds were so uncomfortable that we all woke up with backs hurting. You would think that spending that much money the rooms would be comfortable and nice. Fold out couch was the worst. Everything in that hotel cost way too much money.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank Ashlin1
Frisco, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Despite my better judgement after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I booked a two-night trip to GWL for the first two nights of Spring Break 2012 at an average rate of $339/night.

Check-in was very efficient Friday afternoon, about 5pm. They had installed additional computers and had probably 15-20 agents working check-in.

The rooms: not as bad as I'd expected. The beds were firm and the sheets were OK. Room was very clean and the towels were plentiful and nice. We were on the END of the top floor so we had no problems with noise at night. I was really concerned due to the large pack of teenagers roaming the halls when we arrived, but we had no problems.

Waterpark: as many of the reviewers have said...the water is very cold. My 7 year old son came out of the water with blue lips and shivering. I wonder why they don't either raise the water temperature or the ambient temperature to make it more comfortable? The rides were fun, but the lines were long and so you had about 20 minute wait for 30 seconds of fun.

Food: Seriously. Gross. I'd read many of the other reviews so we heeded the advice and steered clear of the $30 breakfast buffet and brought our own cereal and milk. As my husband mentioned, the in-house Starbucks was the highlight of our dining at GWL. The "snack bar" in the waterpark served all sorts of grease-laden crap. Pizza, burger, hotdogs. The line was very long despite all of the food being under a heat lamp. Under their "Healthier Options" I went for the blacked chicken wrap. I guess healthier than a pepperoni pizza and fries, but it was completely inedible. I took about 3 bites and threw it away...huge hunks of dried out, stringy chicken, mayonaise, limp lettuce and cheese. Not appetizing whatsoever. I ordered a PB&J for my son...how wrong could you go with that?! Oh yeah...an off-brand "Uncrustable" on white bread that was somehow dried out within it's package. What a bargain at $5.40!!

We went to the Critter Bar on the 4th floor during a break from Magiquest and ordered a couple of drinks and appetizers...mozzarella sticks and chips w/salsa, guac, and queso. The chips w/salsa and queso came out about 5 minutes before our drinks with the explanation they were making more guac in the back and the bar was backed up. Keep in mind it's 3:30pm and about 60% capacity. Mozzarella sticks never came out and we made sure we weren't charged for them.

We had dinner in downtown Grapevine both nights. Do yourself a favor and venture into that cute little downtown which is only 2.5 miles away.

Magiquest: our son had fun with this and we got our workout going up and down the stairs. A relative bargain at about $30 for the wand and the game.

At $339 a night, you're better off heading down to San Antonio for the JW Marriott or the Hyatt Hill Country. In all, GWL took us for about $1000 with taxes and the little bit of food we did manage to eat there. Not worth it. I'll follow my gut after reading Tripadvisor next time!

Room Tip: Upper floor, end of hall.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank beamandbud
Thank you for the honest review. Your comments have been noted and shared with the team.

In regards to price, we do receive a lot of feedback from guests that they find a stay at Great Wolf to be of value because waterpark passes are include with the stay and you have access to the waterpark from 1pm the day of check in until close the day of check out. I am sorry you felt this was not the case for your stay.

Jack Bateman
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

If you haven't tried this place for the family, you have got to go ASAP! We (husband and 4 kids) have been here many times. The ultimate treat was to spend it for a couple of days to ring in the 2012 New Year! It was decorated with balloons from the ceiling (used as it struck 2012), party activities for all of the kids from snowflake making to a dance area for the teens and parents. You can also never go wrong with the amazing pool and watermark area! It was a great time for everyone. The food was pricy, but we were able to go to the store and bring in some snacks and juice due our mini kitchenette we had in our room. The kids loved their bunk beds with another separate bed and tv -mini sleeping area- the Wolf Den. The front desk was also accommodating.
All in all, we had an awesome time! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Make sure you book in advance. If you don't get to, ask for AAA discount or best rate possible...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 4Smiles
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I have been to GWL with my parents, husband, and 2 children two times. We love it there. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are spacious. The last time we stayed I noticed they added a ceiling fan in the bedroom of our room... every Texans dream to cool you off on those hot summer night. If you check in early, you can get started at the water park right away. The rooms are clean and quiet.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ROCKWALL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

My family of four just returned from a one night stay at Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine and we had tons of fun. My boys, ages 5 and 3, had so much fun not only in the waterpark, but also in the arcade and with their MagiQuest wands. The staff was great except for the front desk clerk who did not inform me that I would need to put down a different form of credit in order to charge to the room because apparently they wouldn't accept my Visa debit/credit card. We found out the hard way which was frustrating. There were other downsides too.........1) the water was pretty darn cold on our first day and was even colder on the second day so much that my oldest son could not stop his teeth from chattering and I think his lips were even turning blue! The water definitely needs to be warmer. 2) The arcade and MagicQuest should open back up before 9 am. That is a bit too late when you are early risers and there isn't anything to do, but eat breakfast while you anxiously await the open of the waterpark.

We did have a great time and will be returning. I think that one night is plenty if you are local as you get to enjoy the waterpark starting at 1pm on the day of arrival until closing time of 9pm on the day of your departure.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family