“Fun for the whole family! Can't wait to return!”

Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
oklahoma
“Fun for the whole family! Can't wait to return!”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, Texas, November 4-6, 2011. My daughter was attending a dance convention that was being held there. We were greeted by several employees when we were unloading our luggage and checking-in. Check-in was short and sweet! Music played in the lobby as we arrived. The hotel itself is really cool.It's very well-kept up for being a several years old. There is a large gift shop in the lobby that is very well-stocked with a variety of items-gifts as well as toiletries, clothing, anything you might have forgotten at home. Our room was simple, but clean. The room had a refrigerator with shelf above it. This came in handy for all our snacks. The water park was lots of fun for the kids (and adults)! We all enjoyed the rides. During our weekend stay, our kids (14, 11, and 5)participated in the Wizard Quest. They all had so much fun on the quest! It was a good acitivity to keep them busy when they were tired of swimming.
We never left the property. We ate at the bar and grill the first night. The food was pretty good. Flat screen televisions are on almost every wall, which was perfect for us sportsfans, watching college football. The restaurant staff was friendly. There is also a bar and buffet area on the lobby level. The buffet food was excellent! We also enjoyed watching football in the bar on Sunday. One evening, we ordered pizza from the Pizza Hut inside the hotel. It was good as well.
We were so surprised at how much fun we had. The age range in our group was from age 5 to age 47. Fun was had for all! We will definitely return to the Great Wolf Lodge!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We got back yesterday after spending two days (one night) at the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, TX.

It started off bumpy. A family member wanted to contribute to the trip as a gift to the kids, so we paid partially with her credit card. She faxed the authorization form to GWL numerous times over the course of a week. Customer Service was frustrated because there were problems on Grapevine's end in receiving the form. They would confirm they received it and lose it over and over again. When I'd try to call Grapevine directly I couldn't get through. After about a week it was sorted out the morning of our arrival.

When we arrived, the outside of the building is impressive and the grounds were clean. The doors opened automatically for our arrival- it was a nice greeting and gave a big 'wow' impact.

Check in was confusing and a drawn out process. There was nobody in line in front of me so I was able to walk right up to the desk. I'd say it took about 20 minutes to check me in, maybe a bit longer. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my room was ready early and I could check in at 1:00 pm, which made going straight to the water park much easier. I had requested a room with a balcony, and was disappointed to find that I was on the first floor- so my balcony was actually a patio and since it was rainy and uncovered, it was unusable. I think a balcony on a higher floor wouldn't have had the same issue because of covering. However, this was not a huge issue- we were not in the room much.

We brought our bags to our room (the hallways seem endless!) and got changed quickly and went straight to the water park. It was a quick process to get the kids measured and get right to playing. Time seems to stand still while you are there- I felt like we had been having fun for hours but it had only been about a half hour when I looked at the clock!

Seeing as we came during the week in December, it was not overcrowded at all. I doubt I would ever plan a trip for the weekend or summer months.

The Bear Paw Sweets was constantly crowded and this one employee was running around working so hard to take care of everyone while it seemed her coworkers were in the back. She was very friendly and helpful.

The food was good throughout the park and was overpriced- but that was expected and I had budgeted accordingly. There are many restaurants in the vicinity if you do not want to pay high prices.

We ate breakfast in the Gingerbread house. It smelled so good and was worth the extra price. The breakfast buffet was delicious!

The slides were fun but what a trek! I found the park to be overly warm, but my husband was cold, so it is definitely an individual preference thing. I couldn't bring myself to climb the stairs to the slides more than twice a day. An elevator would be great. ;)

Our room was roomy (Kid Kamp suite) but the beds were so uncomfortable and ours was short sheeted- which I found very strange. We had to remake the bed. There was about a foot at the bottom of the bed that had no sheet. My kids said they couldn't sleep on the beds but they did in the end. The toiletries in the room were very nice and well above average. The towels were plentiful, clean and very fluffy. :) There is enough room in the fridge to bring quite a few snacks and drinks of your own.

I loved the keyless, cashless process. It made life so easy. It was convenient that I could choose which members of our group to give charging privileges to and also key privileges.

We rented a cabana on our second day. It was definitely worth it to have somewhere private to change and relax, and the fan was a lifesaver. We utilized the safe and the fluffy towels, as well as the beverages. The TV was pointless because it could not be heard (even at max volume) over the sounds of the park. I think it was slightly overpriced; I paid $120 and I think $85 would have been more appropriate, especially considering that we were the only people who rented a cabana that day. I wish I had tried to negotiate. There was a used bandage on the floor when we got there (and I stepped on it with bare feet...ewwww) but once we took care of that it was out of sight out of mind and considering that the cabana was otherwise spotless and the entire park was as well (hotel and water park) this did not bother me too much. They obviously put a lot of time and attention into keeping the facilities clean and that was very much appreciated.

11:00 am checkout seems a little absurd considering that you then have another 10 hours afterward to spend in the hotel without your own facilities, but there are locker rooms with showers and a suit drying machine (which we utilized a lot). The cabana rental relieved us of any inconvenience of not having a room.

We went to the Cub Club and painted tee shirts with our kids. They were pricey but again, this was expected. One of the employees (the one who did story time in the lobby that night) was very friendly and helpful. Her coworker was less friendly and helpful, but it was the end of what I am sure was a very long day.

The employees at the snack bar in the water park were very friendly and efficient. The lifeguards were as well.

Bring walking shoes- you will be walking constantly and climbing up and down stairs all day long!

Story time was nice and the indoor snow was a blast!

Valet parking was available but we did not use it.

Overall, I think we spent about $600 on the trip. More than I expected, but definitely worth it. The kids had a great time, and so did my husband and I. I told him it was the perfect blend of fun for the kids and fun for the adults because we could go sit in the hot tub together alone while the kids played elsewhere, or we could read books by the gigantic fireplace while they watched a movie in the cabin or played in the lobby with friends.

We all had fun and want to return next Christmas. I hope this becomes a regular tradition- I'd love to go more than once a year actually!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Victoria K
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 14, 2011

This was our second visit to Great Wolf Lodge. The last time the fire alarm went off twice in the middle of the night. This time we had no problem with that. My 8 year old loves it there and has begged for 4 years to go back so I finally gave in for her birthday. The beds are horrible and the food is average and overpriced. We left for our meals there are a lot of good eating placed within a couple of miles. They do offer towel and life jackets so that helps not to have to pack those items. The water is cold. The temperature in the air is nice but the water is almost too cold at times. We got the Wolf Den room and my daughter LOVED it. The snow at story time was also really cool.

Room Tip: The Wolf Den room was good, my daughter loved sleeping in there.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2011

After spending $300 + for 1 adult and 4 kids - I have to say it was fun. The hotel provides a frig and microwave in the room so you can economize on the food.

My 11 and 9 year old pairs joined the under 16 set and put pajamas on at 9pm to roam the hotel on a maji quest. Be ready to spend $40 per child on a wand and activation fee. Be ready to climb up and down several flights of stairs...

To sum up - a good vacation alternative when a you don't have a week or the money to spend on a longer stay.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Tracy S
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Our family (mom, dad, four kids between 10 and 17) drove over 3000 miles over Thanskgiving. We usually just drive all day, sleep in a basic hotel, and wake up early and drive some more.

However, this time, we worked in a little free time and spent a night at the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine since our kids love waterparks.

It's a pricey place but a fun vacation. Since we only spent one night, we didn't see/do everything at the lodge. We checked in at 7 PM, grabbed a bite to eat (at the nearby Subway -- it fit our budget better) and then stayed in the very uncrowded waterpark until it closed.

The water park was awesome. The big slides were a huge hit with our kids. Families with younger kids will enjoy the toddler area and the smaller slides.

The next day, after a fast food breakfast out (being cheap...) we hit the water park again before hitting the road at 1 PM to continue the road trip.

I was really impressed with how the water park was run. It was very clean and the restrooms were clean. They had a huge supplies of towels and the employees were friendly to everyone.

The facility was gorgeous with its Christmas decorations and the staff was nice...

The room was terrific. Online we saw all the fun options but went with a basic suite-style room (no loft, etc.) since the room was basically just for sleeping. The suite had a queen (I think...) bed in one room and two beds and a fold-out sofa in the other room. We had two bathrooms. The room was spotless and we had twelve very thick bathtowels and a bunch of hand towels and washclothes (with six of us in our family, even though we make reservations for all six of us we find rooms have three or four bath towels).

The kids want to come back... We'll have to save up for that!!

The only warning I'd give families is to budget extra money for young kids. There are many opportunities to spend money. The onsite restaurants are pricey as is the gift store. The fun things for kids are all out in the open so that your kids will see other kids doing the Quest, making a stuffed animal, getting a pedicure, etc. And, there are posters in the elevators advertising these things. So, your little child WILL be bombarded with advertising for all these things. And in the room, there are brochures for more stuff you can get (a bucket with six cokes costs $20 -- you keep the bucket -- for example). Our kids ONLY wanted the water park and not all those other non-water extras, so we got off lucky with no additional charges.

I agree with the other reviewer that they need to come up with a way for grandparents to come visit with a family in the water park... Maybe a family could register up to two or four non-swimmers for free during times when the water park is far from being at capacity.

texas
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We decided to stay at the GWL on the weekend before Thanksgiving 2011. I was very impressed with the Lobby etc. Very nice and comfortable. Large fireplace and everything decorated for Christmas. Room was on 6th floor. 2 Queen beds. I had heard alot about the beds being uncomfortable so I was a bit worried. They were better than I was expecting. Not a Marriott etc. but I slept fine. Breakfast buffet was very good. Lots of variety and omletts, eggs etc. were very good. Did not eat there for dinner. Didn't seem to have much variety for kids. Didn't want to pay the buffet price for kids to just eat the pizza. Ate some chicken strips as a snack in the waterpark area. Not that great. Everything is expensive but if you have gone to places like Disney, Sea World etc. you kinda know you pay it so you an have the atmosphere. Overall, we all loved the feeling of the place and enjoyed the waterpark. Seemed to have someting for every age. I would definitely recommend it. Room has a fridge and microwave so can easily bring in food to eat to save money if you want to. Good amount of lifeguards seem to be around especially when the waves start in the wave pool. Yes there are kids running around everywhere but it didn't bother me at all. Slides were all fun. I would have liked the water to be a bit warmer but it was fine. You can definitely spend alot of money here. Luckily, I have boys so I didn't have to have girls wanting to go to have their nails done, get stuffed animals etc. The Magic quest has different priced wands so you can choose a wand to match your budget.

2 Thank mauann
Dallas, TX
Reviewed November 29, 2011

My entire family (lots of cousins) stayed at GWL Grapevine over Thanksgiving weekend.

WATERPARK: Great for all ages...I have toddlers (many kiddos younger than mine were there) and plenty to keep them busy and interested. My 3 year old even rode the bigger slides for kids. The lazy river is 2 ft 6 in deep with waves so it's perfect for this age to "hop like a bunny" and keep head above water. My husband loved it - went up and down many times to the fast ones. As did all the teenagers. We had one baby there and he was fine as well. Zero entry in two places. Lifeguards are ON IT. They pay attention to EVERYTHING. Very impressed! Also, a child went #2 in the kids area so they had to treat it which shut it down for 45 min. Not a problem because so much else to do.

ROOMS: They were fine. Nothing nice, nothing gross. Average. The Kids Camp room is plastic - don't bother. The kids weren't all that into it. Just get a regular suite. DO NOT get a room near 6022 or on either side next to Quest Magic stuff. VERY loud and kiddos running around constantly. One of our beds had an egg crate or something funky on top and it was awful...very uncomfortable. The other one was VERY comfortable and so I moved to it and put my kiddos in the crappy one. Slept like a rock! Shower head coming out of wall, grout cracked in bathroom...rooms need a little TLC. There is a microwave, frig, and we were able to plug IPhone to flatscreen to play movies with no problems.

HOTEL: Be prepared for a long check in line and even once you are at the counter checkin took 15 minutes. Valet is prompt and ready to help. You can check in at 1 pm and store bags until room is ready and they will call you on cell phone when avail. Great feature! Storytime for 3 years olds was a bust...need to be older to hold interest. Cannot hear. Note: You are going to a kids place...be prepared for kids running wild with no supervision. Stepping on your kids, your feet, etc. but that is what a kids place is all about...fun! :)

FOOD: Pricing is high, but not as high as some people have made it out to be. In the waterpark, prices are fairly what you would expect and kid friendly food. Drinks are outrageous, but the rest doesn't come close to touching Disney or even Six Flags. I compare to movie theater pricing roughly. Every restaurant you can possibly imagine is within 10 minutes of hotel...eat out or bring back if you don't want the expense.

Would I go again? I would have given this place 5 stars for the indoor waterpark, but adding in the hotel as a whole it gets a 3. All in all, the kids LOVED it. In fact, since most time is spent at waterpark it is a GREAT place. We live locally so we are going to start meeting here once or twice a year for a weekend. We will bring food back from restaurants around the area. The nice thing is I can go back to the room and put them down for a nap and still keep their schedule rather than if I had just bought a bracelet I would have been stuck. (Again, during the day need a quieter room for this - Magic Quest is loud!)

I would NOT recommend this for couples.

Room Tip: If on floor 6, stay away from middle...Magic Quest is there and it's very loud from all the kidd...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Thank you for the thorough, honest review. Very helpful for those wanting to stay with us and will help us to make our lodge a great experience for all guests.

The waterpark is definitely the main attraction of our lodge, Yet, we do strive to offer a complete family vacation destination under one roof and will certainly use your comments to assist us in achieving that goal and making all activities in our Lodge better.

I do hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Best Wishes,
Jack Bateman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Hilton Anatole
Super 8 Grapevine/DFW Airport Northwest
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#16 of 17 in Grapevine

Been to Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine? Share your experiences!