“Kids loved it!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Texas
“Kids loved it!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

Everything was exceptional! The kids loved the water park, the rooms were nice, the workers were friendly and an overall great stay.

The ONLY two things that will keep me from going back are 1. The $300+ for a 24hr. time of fun (and that was with one of their specials). I could have spent that time and money at a bigger water park plus hotel stay for less expense than that. and 2. The chlorine smell in the water park, they do their best at keeping it out but man is it strong. After awhile, I had to leave just to get some fresh air because it was making me sick.

1 Thank jfpTexas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

We stayed in a hotel for the first time with our 16 month old daughter. This was a family reunion of sorts with 5 nieces and nephews (all under 4). After reading the reviews we pre-arranged to eat off-site most of the time. What we had on-site was pricey but good food. The rooms alone would never justify the rate but with the water park, I thought it was a fair price. Our room was similar to lower priced suite hotel but the furniture was comfortable when we were in the room. The water park was even fun for a 16 month old that had never been in the water. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Finally, on our last day we had the breakfast buffet...somewhat expensive at face value ($14.95 a plate) but it was the largest breakfast buffet I've seen. We look forward to a return trip when the daughter is older and will be able to enjoy more parts of the water park. The only negative we left with was the loud slamming doors of the rooms and loud kids unsupervised in the hallways at midnight...where were the parents???

1 Thank mlsimp2
Lenexa, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

We had a wonderful two nights at Great Wolf Lodge. Upon checking in we were upgraded from our original reservation of a King Suite to the Kid's Cabin theme room (due to "maintenance issues"). It was a very neat room with bunk beds that looked like a wolf's den, although my two sons, age 3&1/2 and 18months, were a bit too young to enjoy it (one was in a pack in play). I didn't think the queen bed was very comfortable. Housekeeping did a great job, she found my older sons missing shoe and paired them together by the bed. She even propped up my younger boys stuffed puppy dog neatly in the corner of his pack and play and layed his blankie over its lap. I thought that was very cute!
We arrived on Sunday and got to use the outside pool briefly (it wasn't open Monday). It was still a bit cool outside for swimming anyway. The indoor pool was very fun, with lots of things to play with. My son went down the slide probably a hundred times! We didn't have much of a wait time. I only did one of the big slides once and hardly waited at all. We enjoyed the arcade and ice cream shop, too. Being able to charge to the room by using your wristband was a great idea since I didn't carry any cards/money on me while wearing swimwear.
We ate breakfast there one morning. The buffet was great, everything you could want for breakfast. We left the hotel to eat dinner, it was nice to get out once in a while. Only got one meal from the food stand in the pool area, it was chicken tenders and fries. The fruit cup was surprisingly good.
All in all, I was not disappointed with our stay here. My son keeps talking about it and recounting his experiences at Great Wolf Lodge. We will be back!

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

we took our 19 month old for two nights. we had a GREAT time! I was unsure whether we would be able to do much with such a young child, but our son could do almost everything! our son is very adventurous, but i think most 2 year olds would be able to do all but the largest slides. the hotel is well worth the money. I think on our next trip we would only stay one night, though, to cut down on costs. We did not eat any of the food at the hotel. We brought our own food and stored it in the refrigerator and ate at the surrounding restaurants at night.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2011

For the price, you can stay in virtually any top hotel and visit all 5 of the other wonderful water parks in DFW. You also won't have to tolerate hearing the manager on duty, LaGrange Wyatt, tell you its not his responsibility when the people he manages mess up. Do yourself a favor. Skip this overpriced Howard Johnson. Go to the Gaylord where the service, food, management and experience are top notch.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank cstamer
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

We traveled in "off times" Sun& Mon to avoid crowds. They opened the outdoor area Sunday when it was 80 outside but wouldn't open it Monday when it was 95 out because there wasn't enough staff. other than that traveling in the "off period" was perfect. No lines for any of the slides or restaurants :)

I felt it's a bit overpriced, I can get 3 season passes at the local waterpark for the cost of one night at GWL in the off season. Add about 15% to the quoted rates on the website for fees/taxes, a $200/night room ends up being $465 for 2 nights.

Room Tip: Go off peak to reduce rates and wait times.
1 Thank Servicetech571
Euless, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

Rooms were clean, decent. We actually got a good nights rest. The beds & food was fine in our opinion. Not wonderful, but not bad. Our favorite was the freshly cooked/made to order omlettes for breakfast. Hotel stay price wasn't worth the cost ($320 per night) but tolerable I guess if you do the math on going to Hurricane Habor (not that it's really comperable, but sort of) plus getting a hotel nearby...
Parking was not easy. No one to help bring in bags.
This is a place mainly for kids to enjoy. There's not much they can do about the overcrowded indoor waterpark - a design flaw and lack of adequate space I guess.
The part that bothered me is the indoor & outdoor waterpark areas is the "draw" here, so why not make sure both are warm?! The indoor area's water was cold and the outside area's water even colder. They claim both are heated, but you can't tell. Also, they need to use a salt water filtration system or do something to ventilate out all the chlorine that lingers in the air. If you are chemically sensitive &/or have asthma, be forwarned!
It was ENTIRELY too cold for me to even get in the water, and I had a chlorine smell in my nostrils & lungs for a good while even after we left. My husband did also. Besides these areas of improvement that are needed, overall it was a great time. My 4 1/2 yr. old LOVED it.

2 Thank sweetartsy1