New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Probably my favorite restaurant of all time!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old Hickory

Old Hickory
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Hickory is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 231 Restaurants in Grapevine
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Arlington, TX
“Probably my favorite restaurant of all time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Ok - first, you'll have to just prepare yourself to spend $150-$200 for your meal. I'll give you a moment to process that....

Now that you've got your mind around that, let me tell you that if your budget allows, this will be some of the best food dollars you can spend (in DFW, at least).

I have always found the staff to be super friendly and accommodating. I even saw someone come in wearing jeans, ball caps, and crappy t-shirts and the staff was very kind in asking them to sit at the bar. (Which, by the way, they wouldn't even be allowed at all in most restaurants of this stature.)

The atmosphere is refined and laid back. The lighting is neither super dark (like Mortons) or overly bright. Once the place fills, the noise level is fairly high, but not so high that you can't have a good conversation. I love the wrought iron and brick decor. Also, you can see through to the private rooms - the whole effect is warm and inviting.

The wine list does have a few pricey items on it, but I've always been able to find a great .... not just good... shiraz on there for less than $50/btl.

I recommend a start of the Lone Star salad. Split it with someone if you can - there's plenty. It is a wonderful blend of greens - tasty and a bit bitter. The honey encrusted pecans and other accoutrements are exceptional.

The steaks are the very best! I always get the ribeye - 16 oz - (cooked medium rare) and sometimes get it a topper of bacon and blue cheese. Literally every bite is life-changingly delicious. The sides are great. I love the habenero corn and the mashed potatoes.

So... post meal is my only gripe. Their desserts are fine. Never had that "ah-ha" moment with the desserts here. On this visit, I had the chocolate melting cake. This is named similarly to the dessert found on Carnival cruises (I'm assuming no connection). Unfortunately, accepting that the ice cream at Old Hickory is a higher quality than the one on the cruise ship, the size and quality of the chocolate cake doesn't meet my standards. It was fine - but it wasn't mind-blowing.

So, if you possibly can, go here. It really is probably my favorite restaurant and if I could afford it, I'd be here more than for just special events/anniversaries/birthdays...

Visited April 2014
2 Thank musictraveler73

Dallas, Texas
“Great atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

On site at the Gaylord Texan, the Old Hickory is the perfect place to enjoy dinner. My husband and I shared a cheese plate and ordered salads, which was a perfect start to our meal. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the menu and what to recommend, which is always nice. My husband's steak and my fish were delicious as well as the sides. Definitely worth a visit.

Algonquin, Illinois
“Amazing Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We had our single business dinner at the Old Hickory and it was amazing. The steak was perfect and flavorful, as was everyone's at the table. Service was very attentive. The price is a little high, but the quality makes up for it.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank YourBizDr
Grapevine Texas
“Great Special Occasion dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We are locals and went to Old Hickory for our 22nd Anniversary. We love the Gaylord and all that it has brought to our area. We have been to this location 2 times before and it still has it's flare. We were there on a Wednesday night, evident that no big conventions were in town, it was quiet and we had a great experience. Great service, great food is all I can say. Our filets were perfect, wine was great and atmosphere was nice. Will plan to go back for other occasions. It is pricy, but worth it if you want a nice meal.

1 Thank gagirl88
Little Elm, Texas
“Good Steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Good Steak for a hotel. The wine list is a bit over priced but had a good selection.
If you can get away, for a few bucks more I would check out Bob's Chop house down the road.