“Amazing!” 5 of 5 bubbles

So-Cal Tacos
Ranked #119 of 234 Restaurants in Grapevine
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Bar
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Parker, Colorado
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Fantastic food.... A great staff... An amazing bar.... Truly a great restaurant all the way around..

• Visited June 2014

New Orleans, Louisiana
“First class new taco joint!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I heard this place was great and I decided to give it a try this weekend. Am I glad I did!

First off the staff was very friendly & attentive to our needs. We had never been there before so we weren't sure how to order and all & they helped steer us on the right track. Fabulous tacos. I think the Al Pastor taco was the best, even though they are known for the fish tacos. The fish tacos are great, but not their best IMO. They had very tasty queso as well.

I look forward to my next trip to grapevine and to SoCal. Two big thumbs up.

1 Thank localyokel1976
Bedford, Texas, United States
“Awesome fish tacos!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

I've been here several times since they opened a few months ago. I got hooked after trying the chips & guac & fish tacos on my 1st visit. Bottom line, good food at a good price! And the people that work here are great too, very laid back. This is a good place to have a quick lunch or to go after work for a beer and burrito. I'll agree with the other reviewers that most of the tacos are average but the fish tacos here are AMAZING, deep-fried deliciousness! I never liked any fish tacos before trying them here. Their burritos are really good too. They stuff them with almost everything you can imagine (rice, beans, guac, etc.) so they're huge and have a good flavor mixture going on! The queso is nothing to write home about but the guacamole is pretty darn good. Go and try the fish taco, steak burrito and chips & guac. You won't be disappointed, it's good stuff!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dallas, Texas
“Should have just been a taco truck, rather than a restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

Relatively new to Grapevine, and located in the same spot that once housed a pizza joint (ZuRoma's) and a burger/sports bar (The Flats), SoCal Taco wants to give the impression it is from somewhere else. However, this is a one-off local place, not a branch of some California chain.

Had this opened several years ago, they would have established a following. But with Fuzzy's Taco to the south and Costa Vida less than 3 miles to the west (also just off Hall-Johnson), SoCal has stiff competition.

FOOD
After my first visit, I will admit to not being overly impressed by the food, both in choice and quality. Many items seem to be a variation on the same 4 choices - chick, steak, pork, and fish. You can get these in tacos or burritos or nachos or quesadillas. Same food, just a different format. Otherwise each dish is almost identical.

Since California is known for fish tacos, one would think that would be prominently featured on their menu. It's there, if you want it, but it's not the main draw. In fact, it is a bit confusing, since SoCal calls their chicken "Del Mar" - literally meaning from the sea. So the chicken has the fishy name, but the fish tacos don't. Weird.

The Del Mar Burrito had a tough flour tortilla wrapped around roasted chicken, which to be honest was also a little dry. When I tried to cut the burrito in half with the plastic knife and fork, they broke (not kidding). The plastic basket it is served in is just a little too small to hold the tortilla, making it a bit awkward.

SERVICE
You place your order at the counter and a server brings you your order. You get a little piece of wood with a number on it, although there was nothing on the table to hold it so the server could see. I was brought two orders for someone else before getting mine.

SoCal must be still working out the kinks. Both I and the customer before me had to ask the order-taker for cups after we ordered our drinks. That should be an automatic reflex for them.

ATMOSPHERE
The menu is printed on surf boards - kitschy and a bit out-of-place. Yet Costa Vida down the street also has a surfing theme, with surf videos playing and it seems to work. Oh well.

Booths are placed around the outside wall (just like it was when ZuRoma was there), Seating is a mint green with white insert theme, like the seats from a 1960 Pontiac. The overall interior is supposed to be "California-y", but it looks forced.

I think there is a small patio on the west side of the building, which overlooks the dry cleaners next door. With no shade and the western afternoon sun, this would not be a good option.

BOTTOM LINE
SoCal is pretty inexpensive, but that's no excuse for average food. Lunch is $10 or less per person (more if you get a beer instead of ice tea/soda). But for roughly the same price, there are now much better choices in the immediate area. If you drive a little further, there is also Torchy's, Taco Dinner, and other better options.

SoCal has to step up their game as far as food quality and menu variety. Otherwise, this is just another flash-in-the-pan and this space could be up for lease again soon.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Joe P
Texas
“Where's the Meat?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

I have to totally agree with another review. The tacos weren't very good. Prior to placing our order we were asked how hungry we were. My daughter said very hungry so it was recommended that she get 4 tacos. If you just want a snack we were told to order two tacos. I ordered one Del Mar and one Newport and my daughter ordered a burrito. The tacos had very little meat and were mostly lettuce. The burrito also had very little meat. Texas has so many options for tacos and this one probably should of stayed a taco truck. Not a recommended restaurant!

• Visited March 2014