“Major Disappointment!”

Outback Steakhouse
Ranked #78 of 241 Restaurants in Grapevine
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We have been going to this restaurant for five years now and today our experience, both with service and food quality was such a disappointment I may never return! We were there on Sunday around noon and the restaurant was about half-filled. Drink and appetizer orders were taken quickly, but were slow to arrive. The warm artichoke/spinach appetizer turned out to be the warmest dish we were served!
Entrees were slow to arrive and when they did, everything was luke-warm. The baked potato wasn't warm enough to melt the butter and cheese on top, the shrimp looked like they'd been cooked and re-warmed to serve, 'dumped' on top of the sliced tomatoes and looking nothing like the picture of this entree in the menu! The 8 oz. sirloin steak was so tough I didn't eat half of it. One of the pasta dishes had been ordered with shrimp added, but came without them. Three different servers came to the table and were told the shrimp were missing. Ten minutes later our server come back and said they were 'cooking the shrimp now, it was my fault that I didn't put it on the order'. When they came they looked fresh cooked and were warm, much warmer than the pasta when it first arrived! The 'warm' bread that always had a nice crust on it was cool and soft. Overall, this was a huge disappointment and an indication that this store has really gone down hill in the past couple of years. Won't be going back again anytime soon. Saddest part was that the staff was oblivious to all of this - and didn't offer to adjust the bill for forgetting the shrimp or for the inconvenience of having the rest of the meal get colder waiting.

Reviewed September 18, 2010

Service was terrible. Very slow, poor quality. My wife order the filet and it was over cooked; and the potatoe was very dry. I ventured off and order the fish and chips...big mistake. It was an insult to call it fish and chips! Battered in cornmeal to taste like a hushpuppy, like eating dry dogfood! The "chips" were old and appeared to be flash fried as they were soaked in oil... Fish tasted like it was freezer burned. too many other quality places to eat for less in the area to waste your money here!!!

1  Thank locosurfer
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 6, 2008

Doesn't impress me.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 11, 2007

I have also noticed the decline in the quality of meat that Outback uses. Looks like they are trying to cut costs by serving Grade F meat. Last time I went to Outback was about 3 weeks ago and I won't be returning until I hear that they have started serving quality meat. I'm not holding my breath.
I had to send my "steak" back and when the replacement thing was brought back it was just as bad as what I started with.
No flavor at all and very tough. I didn't eat it, obviously.
Also, the cook likes to overcook the meat, no matter what the customer wants. Our waiter told us that. He said the cook was moody? Whatever, I just won't return.
I used to love Outback. I hate it now. I take my business elsewhere.

1  Thank Hawaii777
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Unfortunatley, OBSH must be using new meat suppliers, or their current suppliers are pawning off cheap, meat.

I have noticed a decline in the look and tast of their steaks, since they starting getting rid of old favorites like "The Melbourne" T-Bones. The meat has a grainy appearance when you cut into it, and their are no visible striae in the texture when you cut into it.
The taste is also fairly bland.

So, I guess you guys are busted in Grapevine. You are going the way of starbucks and cutting quality of your product, and increasing your costs to the consumer to gain more market share???

(and for those of you who did not notice, Starbucks eliminated their "hand drawn", espresso about 2 years ago, and went to cheaper, automatic, push button machines that produce a much weaker, watery espresso...that they cover with coffee flavorings)

So, I guess I have to stop going to Outbacks, like I did Starbucks.

For a few of us, we still need quality...otherwise, why not make my own coffee and my own steaks at home...especially since I now make them better than you guys.

3  Thank tonyload