“If you dine with anyone with a PEANUT ALLERGY, take precaution”

California Pizza Kitchen
Ranked #121 of 241 Restaurants in Grapevine
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My kids and I wanted to give CPK a try since the last time we ate at one was actually in California. The facility was clean and the usual CPK. After we sat down the server was right there to take our drink order. She brought it to us and was taking our order. We notice in very small print on a little card a paragraph that says something to the effect "What our lawyers make us say." It mentions the usual - meats should be thoroughly cooked. Consuming raw meat and fish arer hazardous. It also said to let your server know about any food allergy. Now, this is a pizza place, I really didn't think about my child's allergy, but I asked anyway if there was any peanuts in the Margherita Pizza? The server said, maybe. She said they have a Thai Chicken Roll that has peanuts. I asked if that comes in contact with the pizza. She said, well the chefs wash their hands, but there is a possibility it will. I told her that we could not take that chance and to please bring me the bill for our drinks. She stated again that the chefs wash their hands. After a second time asking for the drink bill, she told me she will get her manager. He came over, and said "Well...we can't be positive that there is no cross contamination." He said, "We are 99% sure that nothing will happen." Having a child with a peanut allergy, I asked for the drink bill again, because I cannot take that 1% chance. He then said not to worry about paying for the drinks. Everyone was very kind, but I guess they do not understand that some people just cannot take the chance. If you decide to go, I have just learned the below warning (and a list of menu items with specific food allergens) on their website. Had I known, we would never have stepped foot into the facility.

Warning: This list is compiled based on information provided to California Pizza Kitchen from food manufacturers and ingredient suppliers. CPK’s menu is diverse and contains a wide variety of foods, many of which contain one or more of the eight major allergens: Crustacean shellfish, eggs, fish, milk, peanuts, soybeans, tree nuts or wheat. Ingredients or production methods used by our suppliers may change without notice and there may be product differences among regional suppliers. Additionally, normal kitchen operations involve shared cooking and preparation areas and cross-contact with other foods may occur during production, or we may need to substitute ingredients in menu items. We are therefore unable to guarantee that any menu item is completely free from any particular allergen, and we assume no responsibility for guests with food allergies or sensitivities.

4  Thank P F

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We ate here for Mother's day and it had been a while since we had been here. They had changed their Tostada Pizza to a big thin crust much like a tortilla. We didn't care for it at all. Also they serve it with a salsa on the side, but the amount was so small that you couldn't really enjoy it. I did like that they serve a dipping oil for their bread. We had to ask for bread-it was not offered to us. Also, the other pizza and large salad we ordered seemed smaller than the last time we came. There is so much competition in this area you would think they would improve instead of go down in size and quality. That being said it will be a while before I try it again. It is simply too expensive for what they serve.

1  Thank DogloverX4
Reviewed April 23, 2013

CPK is a national chain, so if you are already familiar with their offerrings you will not be disappointed. CPK offers a twist on traditional pizza, along with some tasty salads. Half-size salad portions are available if you are not terribly hungry.

The staff at the Grapevine CPK has always been very friendly and helpful. We always feel welcome there.

Most of the seating is in booths, with some 2 and 4 tops for small groups or large parties. There is a small outdoor patio, but since it looks out onto the parking lot we see few people opting for this.

Getting to this location has been a challenge due to extensive highway construction in the area. Best bet is to try to get there by driiving north on William D. Tate Avenue so you won't have to make a difficult left-turn across traffic. Traffic can be daunting at times, but the construction is more than halfway through and should be easing up as time goes by.

1  Thank Joe P
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My husband likes their food, but we rarely go because they just don't offer Gluten-free options. The last time we dined there I had to content myself with a salad minus any form of dressing because the kitchen was "pretty sure" all the dressings contained gluten.

1  Thank TexasInga
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The waitstaff was friendly and the BBQ Chopped Salad is just the best. Unfortunately they have road construction and it is a bit tricky to get to this location right now.