“Wonderful time at the Gaylord” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful time at the Gaylord”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

I have read a lot of the reviews on this page, and I would have to say our family did not experience any of the negative reviews that have been expressed.

We enjoyed our first visit at the Gaylord Texan and attended the "Charlies Brown Ice".
When researching the event online, I knew it would be crowded and the best plan would be to purchase all your events you wanted to attend online. I was able to print out all my tickets for the event and figured the best time to stay would be on a Thursday and Friday night. Weekends anywhere you go that has an event will be crowded so you have to factor that into your plans. We arrived on Thursday as we drove up to the entrance "Valet" gentlemen asked if he could help, we told him we did not want to valet park because we were staying at the hotel and needed to check in. He advised us to park over to the side where you have free parking to check in. We entered into the lobby and was welcomed with employees asking if we needed assistance. We checked in and "Jessica" was wonderful we entered the room and was a little disappointed because I did choose an Atrium and was hoping to view the main entrance area. We went back down and I asked her if there was anyway we could switch rooms with a better view of all the activities and she put us in a great room with a view.

Thursday evening we viewed the 'ICE" show.. we had a 5 minute wait time and enjoyed the show.. We also enjoyed the ice slide (slope) my daughter is 8 she enjoyed the slide and the workers were great.. I also enjoyed the slide even though some smaller kids were trying to cut the attendant stopped them and told them I was in line first and they needed to get in line. Kids are excited, but we all have to remember there are rules and everyone needs to follow them.
we attended "ICE, Snow, change yourself to an elf, rudolph round up, bedtime story with Ms. Claus all purchased online and printed out tickets. We also had breakfast with Charlie Brown we made reservation per phone.
I loved our room and the bed was very comfortable... We received great service from all the employees.

People need to pay more attention to policy signs that are hanging up, just because you see someone else doing it doesn't make it right.
We have to remember as parents what restaurants or establishments we bring our children to and is it an appropriate environment.

We will be making this hotel and Ice sculpture our annual family Christmas tradition.

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,019)
  • Polish first
Monroe La
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

My husband and I took our two Granddaughters to Dallas for an extra after christmas treat. We spent the first day in Dallas at the American Girl Store, but proceeded on to the Gaylord Texan for the second day,,taking advantage of the "Lone Star Christmas Package" It was awesome and the girls cannot stop talking about it and cant wait to return next year(and maybe before). The snow downhill was an extra added attraction that they enjoyed very much as well as the indoor pool...
Upon check-in, which took less than 10 minutes we were upgraded to an atrium view room which immediately started the experience off with an extra happy face from this Nana...
We will definitely return
Gail Watson
Monroe La

fayetteville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

My family and I decided to stay at the Gaylord Texan to take in all that the hotel had to offer. The decor of the hotel for the Christmas season was AMAZING! We got a military discount for our stay and the man who checked us in even upgraded our room to have a balcony that faces the atrium. Free of charge! And believe me, it made all the difference. The view was fantastic!

The restaurants were great and the entire staff of the Gaylord Texan are very friendly. You can have a great time just strolling around the atrium and all the little shops that the hotel offers. If you ever get a chance to visit in December, don't miss out on the ICE exhibit that the hotel hosts. Everything was made of ice and both my husband and my two children had a blast!!

I just wish that we had more time! :)

1 Thank apeterman22
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We stayed at the Gaylord Texan from 12/25 thru 12/27. First of all, this place IS very pretty and big (the Texas way). However . . . This place is WAY overrated and overpriced ($15 for a daily "resort" fee - which consists of 2 bottle waters per day and a newspaper that you had to ask for at the front desk; parking was a separate fee).

We had to wait in line (for about 10 mins. or so) to get to the front of the hotel to drop off our luggage (while hubby waited, I proceeded to walk up there and check-in. the check-in process was quick and great). No bigge since it was Christmas Day. When we got there though, there was a bunch of valet guys hanging out, but not one bell service to help us with our luggage. I went and got a luggage cart myself and we loaded our luggage onto the cart. I proceeded to take the luggage to our room while hubby went to park the car. It wasn't until I pass by the Bell Service / Luggage desk (not knowing) did one of these schmucks offered assistance. I didn't need any help then - I already loaded all the luggage on the cart and was already part way to our room!

On 12/26, we decided to grab some sandwiches and pasta (for the kids) for lunch after checking out ICE! (which cost $24.95 per person and you could see it all in about 20 mins.! WAY overpriced for looking at some ice sculptures). We went to the coffee shop and got 2 sandwiches, a pasta salad ($9), a coffee, a smoothie ($5; tasted more like a slushie), 2 cookies and a bag of chips - $47!! The sandwiches were nasty! Included with our package was a hot buffet breakfast each morning at the Riverwalk Cantina - that was alright, hence the reason for the 3 stars instead of 2.

In addition, on the 2nd day, we noticed that our room was not cleaned yet and it was already 4PM! I saw the housekeeping down the hall and proceeded to ask one of the ladies . . . to no avail - "No habla ingles". I moved onto the 2nd and 3rd ladies and got the same answer each time - "No habla ingles". The 4th lady said the same thing to me, but also called out to some man down the hall, who happened to be their supervisor and he spoke English, so I was able to ask him about our room. He said something to the affect that they were shorthanded and that our room would be cleaned shortly - and it was, around 5PM.

I would NOT recommend this place to anyone . . . unless it's on someone else's dime, I mean hundred's of dollars, not dime. Or maybe not even then. We stayed at other hotels which cost less than half of what it costed at the Gaylord Texan and got WAY better service, amenties, cleaniness, etc.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

The Gaylord at Christmas is a wonderful place to celebrate the season. There are plenty of activities for all ages. Our group ranged from age 2 to 63, and we all enjoyed it, and would do it again. Our only complaints were "in hotel" dining for breakfast is very limited. There are 2 coffee shops with pastries, but only one restaurant in the hotel that provides a full breakfast and with this many people in the hotel, you have to plan to get up really early, or stand in line....The other complaint is the uncomfortable mattresses--really need upgrading!

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

I must say I was initially hesitant to visit the Gaylord Texan after reading some of the reviews, but we are glad we went!! We did the Spa Sensations package, and received excellent service from the moment we arrived, We had a speedy personal check in service, great room overlooking the Atrium, comfortable beds, and even a turn down service in the evening! The room was super quiet despite its location, and super dark once the curtains were drawn for the night. My only thought was the dazzling Christmas display (of which we had a great view) does attract a lot of day visitors, but we escaped most of that by spending our time in the spa/fitness area and exploring other parts of the resort. All in all a well-spent time.

Coppell, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

We stayed at the Gaylord Texan as locals during a few days of a home renovation. Our room was exceptionally quiet and well-appointed, even at the "bargain" rate that we secured online. We chose a non-atrium room; we declined an upgrade offered at checkin for a room looking inward because we dislike inside high balconies. The view out our window was stunning, looking toward Lake Grapevine and the late fall foliage. The holiday crowds were large but the resort managed them efficiently. Our stay was low-key, with our only major resort activities being a morning at the spa (calm and immaculate) and an excellent room-service breakfast. We definitely would return--a splurge for us, but very restorative.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#5 of 200 in Dallas
4.5 of 5 stars 5,276 reviews

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!