We stayed at the Gaylord Texan from 12/25 thru 12/27. First of all, this place IS very pretty and big (the Texas way). However . . . This place is WAY overrated and overpriced ($15 for a daily "resort" fee - which consists of 2 bottle waters per day and a newspaper that you had to ask for at the front desk; parking was a separate fee).
We had to wait in line (for about 10 mins. or so) to get to the front of the hotel to drop off our luggage (while hubby waited, I proceeded to walk up there and check-in. the check-in process was quick and great). No bigge since it was Christmas Day. When we got there though, there was a bunch of valet guys hanging out, but not one bell service to help us with our luggage. I went and got a luggage cart myself and we loaded our luggage onto the cart. I proceeded to take the luggage to our room while hubby went to park the car. It wasn't until I pass by the Bell Service / Luggage desk (not knowing) did one of these schmucks offered assistance. I didn't need any help then - I already loaded all the luggage on the cart and was already part way to our room!
On 12/26, we decided to grab some sandwiches and pasta (for the kids) for lunch after checking out ICE! (which cost $24.95 per person and you could see it all in about 20 mins.! WAY overpriced for looking at some ice sculptures). We went to the coffee shop and got 2 sandwiches, a pasta salad ($9), a coffee, a smoothie ($5; tasted more like a slushie), 2 cookies and a bag of chips - $47!! The sandwiches were nasty! Included with our package was a hot buffet breakfast each morning at the Riverwalk Cantina - that was alright, hence the reason for the 3 stars instead of 2.
In addition, on the 2nd day, we noticed that our room was not cleaned yet and it was already 4PM! I saw the housekeeping down the hall and proceeded to ask one of the ladies . . . to no avail - "No habla ingles". I moved onto the 2nd and 3rd ladies and got the same answer each time - "No habla ingles". The 4th lady said the same thing to me, but also called out to some man down the hall, who happened to be their supervisor and he spoke English, so I was able to ask him about our room. He said something to the affect that they were shorthanded and that our room would be cleaned shortly - and it was, around 5PM.
I would NOT recommend this place to anyone . . . unless it's on someone else's dime, I mean hundred's of dollars, not dime. Or maybe not even then. We stayed at other hotels which cost less than half of what it costed at the Gaylord Texan and got WAY better service, amenties, cleaniness, etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You'll arrive at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center through a ranch-style archway surrounded by rolling pastureland. Along the way, rugged canyon walls rise steadily to frame your first glimpse of the breathtaking Grapevine, Texas hotel. Sitting high on a bluff overlooking the glistening waters of Lake Grapevine, just eight minutes from DFW International Airport, this awe-inspiring resort welcomes you to an authentic Texas experience. From the colorful Riverwalk and wide-open Texas Hill Country to the aura of Southwest-style architecture and the majestic Rio-Grande, its all here under our signature glass dome. Here, we offer state-of-the-art convention and meeting facilities, endless entertainment, World-class spa & fitness center, lavish guest rooms and our tradition of unsurpassed hospitality. Everything in on place so you can have it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Marriott, getaroom.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gaylord Texan Hotel Grapevine
- Gaylord Texan Resort And Convention Center
- Gaylord Texas Resort
- Gaylord Texas Hotel
- The Gaylord Texan
- Gaylord Texan Grapevine
- Gaylord Texan Resort Convention Center
- Gaylord Grapevine