“Overrated / Overpriced”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We stayed at the Gaylord Texan from 12/25 thru 12/27. First of all, this place IS very pretty and big (the Texas way). However . . . This place is WAY overrated and overpriced ($15 for a daily "resort" fee - which consists of 2 bottle waters per day and a newspaper that you had to ask for at the front desk; parking was a separate fee).

We had to wait in line (for about 10 mins. or so) to get to the front of the hotel to drop off our luggage (while hubby waited, I proceeded to walk up there and check-in. the check-in process was quick and great). No bigge since it was Christmas Day. When we got there though, there was a bunch of valet guys hanging out, but not one bell service to help us with our luggage. I went and got a luggage cart myself and we loaded our luggage onto the cart. I proceeded to take the luggage to our room while hubby went to park the car. It wasn't until I pass by the Bell Service / Luggage desk (not knowing) did one of these schmucks offered assistance. I didn't need any help then - I already loaded all the luggage on the cart and was already part way to our room!

On 12/26, we decided to grab some sandwiches and pasta (for the kids) for lunch after checking out ICE! (which cost $24.95 per person and you could see it all in about 20 mins.! WAY overpriced for looking at some ice sculptures). We went to the coffee shop and got 2 sandwiches, a pasta salad ($9), a coffee, a smoothie ($5; tasted more like a slushie), 2 cookies and a bag of chips - $47!! The sandwiches were nasty! Included with our package was a hot buffet breakfast each morning at the Riverwalk Cantina - that was alright, hence the reason for the 3 stars instead of 2.

In addition, on the 2nd day, we noticed that our room was not cleaned yet and it was already 4PM! I saw the housekeeping down the hall and proceeded to ask one of the ladies . . . to no avail - "No habla ingles". I moved onto the 2nd and 3rd ladies and got the same answer each time - "No habla ingles". The 4th lady said the same thing to me, but also called out to some man down the hall, who happened to be their supervisor and he spoke English, so I was able to ask him about our room. He said something to the affect that they were shorthanded and that our room would be cleaned shortly - and it was, around 5PM.

I would NOT recommend this place to anyone . . . unless it's on someone else's dime, I mean hundred's of dollars, not dime. Or maybe not even then. We stayed at other hotels which cost less than half of what it costed at the Gaylord Texan and got WAY better service, amenties, cleaniness, etc.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,276)

Reviewed January 4, 2011

The Gaylord at Christmas is a wonderful place to celebrate the season. There are plenty of activities for all ages. Our group ranged from age 2 to 63, and we all enjoyed it, and would do it again. Our only complaints were "in hotel" dining for breakfast is very limited. There are 2 coffee shops with pastries, but only one restaurant in the hotel that provides a full breakfast and with this many people in the hotel, you have to plan to get up really early, or stand in line....The other complaint is the uncomfortable mattresses--really need upgrading!

Reviewed January 3, 2011

I must say I was initially hesitant to visit the Gaylord Texan after reading some of the reviews, but we are glad we went!! We did the Spa Sensations package, and received excellent service from the moment we arrived, We had a speedy personal check in service, great room overlooking the Atrium, comfortable beds, and even a turn down service in the evening! The room was super quiet despite its location, and super dark once the curtains were drawn for the night. My only thought was the dazzling Christmas display (of which we had a great view) does attract a lot of day visitors, but we escaped most of that by spending our time in the spa/fitness area and exploring other parts of the resort. All in all a well-spent time.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

We stayed at the Gaylord Texan as locals during a few days of a home renovation. Our room was exceptionally quiet and well-appointed, even at the "bargain" rate that we secured online. We chose a non-atrium room; we declined an upgrade offered at checkin for a room looking inward because we dislike inside high balconies. The view out our window was stunning, looking toward Lake Grapevine and the late fall foliage. The holiday crowds were large but the resort managed them efficiently. Our stay was low-key, with our only major resort activities being a morning at the spa (calm and immaculate) and an excellent room-service breakfast. We definitely would return--a splurge for us, but very restorative.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2011

The hotel, the building grounds, staff, location, decor, facilities, interior gardens,... etc All of it is beautiful, clean, well kept, "like new" condition. Also this hotel has all the things you can think of. Gym, spa, bar, club, coffee house, restaurants,, shops, pool, you name it.

However, its almost like look but don't touch because everything is extra and expensive. Inside the room is no different from a Hilton or Holiday Inn for that matter. I have stayed at much cheaper hotels with same quality room & bed for much less and with free breakfast. We went in town for affordable meals.

Beware of the $16 resort fee that is not mentioned when you book online at their website. With that plus parking and taxes a $159 per night became $220. The resort fee is for things you get for free (or included in the room price) at most hotels, such as WIFI.

If I was rich, I would stay there all the time, but I'm not so I might stay somewhere cheaper next time and spend my savings doing something fun.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rafirondon
Reviewed January 1, 2011

I would not recommend this hotel. For family's on a budget. Nicely decorated.but that's all. Bed was hard as a brick. Room was not worth $300 a night.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank tmerritt318
Management response:Responded January 4, 2011

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on providing the highest level of customer service, facilities and Special Events for our guests at the Gaylord Texan. We apologize that you did not feel that your stay was satisfactory. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you personally. Please feel free to contact our hotel directly at VoiceOfTheCustomer@GaylordHotels.com, and we will be happy to address your individual issues with you directly.

Thank you.

Gaylord Hotels.

Reviewed December 31, 2010

I have traveled quite a bit, and I have taken my children with me to places all over the world. I have never, ever, ever been as insulted as i was at this hotel yesterday. We went to the sports bar while others went to the Ice Show. 2 adults, 2 14 year olds. We were told to sit anywhere. It was 3:45. At 3:55, a waitress came by and told us she couldn't serve us because we had kids with us. I asked why, and she said that kids were not allowed in the main part of the sports bar at that time. There were 30 kids within 50 feet of us. We were singled out in front of every one as not being worthy of being served. It was shocking to me. I spoke to the manager who said there was nothing she could do. Needless to say, I would definitely not ever go back there, and would tell anyone who would listen that this was the worst I have ever been treated at a hotel.

1  Thank barryswitzer
Management response:Responded January 4, 2011

Thank you for sharing your experiences from your recent stay with us. While there are clearly marked areas in Texan Station where seating for patrons under the age of 21 is not permitted, we take this situation extremely seriously, as it is not the type of experience that our guests have come to expect at the Gaylord Texan. Please feel free to contact our hotel directly at VoiceOfTheCustomer@GaylordHotels.com, and we will be happy to address your individual issues with you directly.

Thank you.