If you've never been to the Gaylord at Christmas, I recommend do visiting once, just for the experience. It is quite beautiful. However, I would not recommend spending the money to stay there and I will not be going back.
Just getting our car to the valet took 25 minutes. The room was fine, but not what I expected for the high amount I paid. (Although they do have a teacher discount, which I thought was nice.) The room was slightly nicer than a Holiday Inn, and small.
We waited in lines for everything - to get a cup of coffee, to have a drink at the bar, etc. The atrium area was extremely crowded, as there were many people visiting just to experience the Christmas events. I knew this would be the case going in, but it was still a bit overwhelming.
The food and drinks are generally very good at the Gaylord. We ate at the Old Hickory Steakhouse, which was wonderful, though again overpriced.
We also attended ICE, which was fun as always, but overpriced as well. We bought tickets for a specific time, which we thought would save us time in line. However, we still spent an hour waiting in line for a 20 minute experience.
The worst, but funniest, part of our experience was the "Consider it Done" button, which is a button on their phone that links you to a person who will supposedly fill your every need. We asked for two champagne glasses, waited 30 minutes, and received 3 juice glasses from a very frazzled person who just said "this is what they gave me" and hurried off.
My last comment is about the staff. Every employee we came into contact with seemed completely exhausted, overwhelmed, and overworked and with a few exceptions, they were very unfriendly. I understand that the Gaylord is very busy at Christmas time, but they need to hire seasonal workers to compensate. I spent an inordinate amount of money to have a resort experience, and spent much of my time waiting in lines and dealing with gripy service people.
Overall, a beautiful place, but just take some pictures and go home.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You'll arrive through a ranch-style archway surrounded by rolling pastureland. Along the way, rugged canyon walls rise steadily to frame your first glimpse of the breathtaking new Gaylord. Sitting high on a bluff overlooking the glistening waters of Lake Grapevine, just eight minutes from D/FW International Airport, this awe-inspiring resort welcomes you to an authentic Texas experience. From the colorful Riverwalk and wide-open Texas Hill Country to the aura of Southwest-style architecture and the majestic Rio-Grande, its all here under our signature glass dome. Here, we offer state-of-the-art convention and meeting facilities, endless entertainment, World-class spa & fitness center, lavish guest rooms and our tradition of unsurpassed hospitality. Everything in on place so you can have it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gaylord Texan Resort And Convention Center
- Gaylord Texan Hotel Grapevine
- Gaylord Texas Resort
- Gaylord Texas Hotel
- The Gaylord Texan
- Gaylord Texan Grapevine
- Gaylord Texan Resort Convention Center
- Gaylord Grapevine