“Absolutely wonderful time”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Had a absolutely wonderful time during our stay. Everything was perfect from the minute we got there to the time we left. Lots to do at the hotel and the surrounding area.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,277)

Reviewed September 28, 2010

This was a beautiful place to stay. The food was very good and the staff very helpful. However my room was freezing and would not warm up. I set the thermostat on 80 and could not get the room temp above 73.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Overall, the Gaylord Texan hotel is an eye-popping place. I upgraded to a room with an atrium view, which, in my opinion, was well worth the additional cost of $60 per night. However, the truth of the matter is that I didn’t see any rooms that did not have the atrium view, so I have nothing to compare to. The thing I most enjoyed about my atrium view room was the ability to feel ‘a part of it all’. I could sit on my spacious balcony and take in the sights and watch the people down below. As a female traveling alone, I also thoroughly enjoyed leaving my balcony door open all night and feeling like I had fresh air and listening to the sound of the waterfall down below. What a way to sleep!

Valet-With a price difference of only $10 per night, I opted for valet parking. (Self parking is $15 and valet is $25. Do be sure to factor in tips, though.) Valet service was good; nothing exceptional.
VALET RATING: 7

Check in-my front desk check-in person was super friendly and welcoming. He had an energetic and infectious personality and I liked him from the start. I was a little disappointed, though, that he assured me that the room to which he assigned me was, “ooh, a great one”. Turns out that it was a room with the mock oil-derrick smack-dab in front of it, which really detracted from my view.
CHECK IN EXPERIENCE: 9

Room-Décor was very nice and very “Texan.” The fabrics and detail were impressive, right down to the utltra suede shower curtain and the tooled leather on the dining guide. And speaking of the dining guide, something that would have been very helpful is a full menu for each restaurant in my room. It was difficult to decide which restaurant to eat at without knowing their menus and prices. Beds were made perfectly and everything was spotless. I did find the room to be a bit dark for my taste with only two lamps, especially on my first morning when it was overcast outside. An option for brighter lights (ie: dimmer switches on the lamps) would have been a really welcome touch. The blackout curtains across the French doors leading to my balcony were truly blackout, a welcome feature when the sun came up in the morning. This allowed me to sleep in until 8:00AM, which was a nice break from reality.
ROOM DÉCOR: 10

Restaurants-After doing as much in-room research as possible to decide which restaurant to eat at for dinner on my first night (remember, no in-room menus), I was disappointed to walk all the way down to the Riverwalk Café only to find it closed for renovations. I then proceeded across the atrium to Ama Lur, only to find out that their prices were higher than I was prepared to pay. I then headed to Old Hickory Steakhouse only to discover there that I was still 45 minutes early for dinner (they don’t open until 5:30 and I was starving!) So I was pretty much left with Texas Station, the sports bar, which I was NOT in the mood for. The food there was good (I had chips and queso the first night and chicken quesadillas the second night), but I was disappointed that the whipped cream on my brownie sundae was not real and therefore not worth the calories to me. The frozen margarita was delicious and really hit the spot!
RIVERWALK CAFÉ: 0 (it was closed)
OLD HICKORY: 0 (I was too early for dinner)
TEXAS STATION FOOD: 8
TEXAS STATION SERVERS: 8

After dinner, I enjoyed a glass of wine from Silver Bar, the lobby bar. I took in the ambiance of the welcoming fireplaces and enjoyed sitting in three or four different chairs while listening to the pianist sing piano bar music. The furniture in the Silver Bar area is amazing. Truly Texan with rich fabrics, including leather, heavy upholstery, suede and ultra suede. The colors are beautiful, and include chocolate browns, reds, teals, golds and blacks…all colors you would expect in Texan décor. I particularly loved the brown and white cow-hide oversized ottomans. This spot is perfect for people watching!
SILVER BAR AND LOBBY: 10

I ate at Ama Lur for breakfast (pretty much the only choice) where they serve only a buffet for a reasonable $15. The buffet choices were excellent, but the food taste was marginal at best. The “waffles” are waffle sticks and they tasted like they were premade offsite, frozen, shipped and then thawed and warmed. Yuck. I took one bite and left the rest. For a resort this opulent, I would have expected a live person preparing pancakes and waffles on request (there was an omelette station, but I don’t eat eggs). The bacon, after sitting in the warmer, was soggy. It was thoroughly cooked, which is important for me; but I like my bacon crispy, not soggy. Something you can’t get if it’s left in a covered warmer. I would have much preferred an open container with a heat lamp above. The potatoes were delicious, with onions and peppers added in for flavor. The oatmeal was tasty, and the accoutrement of raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, and milk made it fun to make and yummy to eat. The pastries were horrible. I tried a croissant and a cheese Danish, both of which tasted stale, not soft and fresh. Again, I took only one bite of each. My server, Carolyn from New York was the best part of breakfast. She could not have been more friendly or accommodating. Very professional! Kudos to her.
AMA LUR FOOD: 2
AMA LUR SERVER: 10

On my second day, I purchased a peanut butter cookie from the Cocoa Bean. This thing was as big as Texas and every bit as delicious. Probably worth the $3.50 I paid for it.
COCOA BEAN FOOD: 9
COCOA BEAN SERVER: 9

Housekeeping-at 8:30 AM, I touched the “consider it done” button on my phone and requested that my room be serviced while I was at breakfast. They finally arrived at 10:30, an hour after I returned from breakfast. In all fairness, I should add that my room was exceptionally clean. My bathtub sparkled and I actually took a bath in it, a rarity in most hotel rooms.
ROOM CLEANLINESS: 10
ROOM BEING CLEANED UPON REQUEST: 0

Spa-My experience at Relache, the in-house spa was spaaaaaaamazing! It was everything I expected and more. I had the 80-minute hot stone massage and was thoroughly relaxed when it was over. Relache is by far the most upscale spa I have ever been in. For me, the difference was in the details all included in your spa visit: a luxurious robe and spa flip flops are given to you upon checking in. They offer cucumber water and citrus water along with fresh apples for your enjoyment. There is a “slumber room” where you can actually take a nap or rest in a very peaceful, dark, and quiet environment either before or after your massage. There is a dry sauna and a steam room. Showers with excellent privacy are provided, and there is shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower. You can completely prepare for your next activity after your spa experience, as the after-shower amenities include makeup remover, cotton balls, & Q-tips; combs and hair brushes; hair dryers; hair mousse, styling gel and hair spray; deodorant; disposable toothbrushes with a cute little toothpaste sample; razors and shaving cream; lotion; and a few other things that I have forgotten. The only improvements that I would recommend in the spa would be softer towels (they were pretty scratchy, but they were very absorbent); a bench inside the shower so you can sit down to shave your legs; and a shelf above the bench that is in the individual shower dressing area for placing personal items.
RELACHE: 10

Room service-I really debated about ordering room service on my final morning, as my total bill for 2 nights (with spa, valet parking, a movie, etc.) was already upwards of $900. But I finally decided to order since I knew that breakfast at Ama Lur was not delicious. I ordered a Belgian waffle and bacon. I was so disappointed in the waffle. The menu promised a “crispy, Texas sized buttermilk waffle” but my waffle was anything but crispy. It was soft and very dry tasting. I ate maybe five bites and left the rest. The bacon was cooked perfectly, nice and crisp, just like I ordered it. The presentation of the room service tray and the service of my waiter, Francisco, were excellent. Francisco was cheerful and friendly and even pointed out that the Texas star shape on my waffle matched the Texas star at the top of the atrium. The tray itself was a beautiful iron tray with star detailing and there was a yellow rose (of Texas!) in a vase on my tray. My tray was picked up within one hour, which was nice. Room service called me about an hour after my food was delivered to see if everything was okay. They did not charge me for the waffle, which made me happy.
ROOM SERVICE FOOD: 2
ROOM SERVICE SERVER: 10

Gaylord, overall, I was very pleased with my stay; but you really need to improve the quality of your food. Presentation of food and the richness and beauty of the hotel are not enough of a distraction to keep this guest from recognizing tasteless food when she eats it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank pebbagirl
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I have read so many bad reviews. I cannot understand why!?!?!
It is not in the middle of no where. It is Grapevine, Texas, not Dallas. If you need to be in Dallas, Arlington, etc. stay there. There are cab or Limo optios to get you to the bigger city. Everything is big in Texas, food, cabs, drinks.
We had a wonderful time!! It was very clean, staff was very attentive and friendly (1 bartender was not). We were on the 8th floor overlooking the pool. It was pretty quiet. Walls are a bit thin, but we had no problem sleeping. Our room was cleaned spotless everyday and early. Food was great everywhere. We ate at all the options except for room service. Old Hickory is pricey but why complain, you know it before you go there!! Menu is posted out front!! We were told there was a dress code, but obviously they will let you dine in shorts too, as there were many tables in shorts.

I would stay there again in a second. Next Spring there are putting in a big water park type thing. Lazy river, toddler area, wave pool, etc. I thought the pool area is nice now, smaller but always room even though it was a weekend we stayed.

I highly recommend the Gaylord Texan and if there for a Dallas game take advantage of the Cowboy package they offer!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Stayed at Gaylord Opryland last year same time for a software convention which offered much more dining/bar options. This location really only has one place to go to in the afternoon for lunch. Very expensive to eat, $67.00 for 3 people to have lunch and I had a salad! Rooms are average. Helpful staff in the hotel, they have a bag check which works nice to check out early and stay in the hotel. Supershuttle runs from the airport and that worked out nice. This hotel is away from everything. Don't go here if you plan to work somewhere to eat or for activities. Overall, an OK place to stay. I wouldn't pay for it, the company I went with covered the cost of the hotel. Something strange, they don't sell chewing gum anywhere in the hotel. The gym fills up early but it's nice- 6am you have to wait for a machine.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Pro"s- very cool concept with the atium space. It really felt like you were outside without the heat and humidity. Possibly one of the best hotel gyms if your into weight trainning. Relaxing outdoor pool but a bit on the small size for the size of the property. Cute little town (Grapevine) just a couple miles away. And very good custermer service. Now for my cons---disappointing rooms for the money. Older dirty carpet in hotel room. Older and stained bed throw. Very little sound insulation in door to hallway. And the lack of dinner choices after 10pm on a weekend. Without a car your stuck here unless you want to pay $25 to get to main street downtown Grapevine.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Arrived on a Friday afternoon, it wasn’t very crowded, and I was in awe of the place. By Saturday it was so crowded you might as well be in the middle of Times Square and the magic wore off quickly. As they say, everything is big in Texas and that applies to the prices for everything at the Gaylord. The room was overpriced for the size and quality. Self-parking was $12 a day with no in-out privilege – meaning any time you went out you had to pay to get back in. One big rip-off was the very disappointing Alice in Wonderland 3D maze. It was $12 per person (kids too) and cost me around $80 for 15 minutes of family entertainment. Some of the employees need to work on their hospitality skills. When I asked a gentleman for a table at the huge Texan Station he didn’t even look up from his screen to address me and just pointed to a group of people who were also waiting. Not sure if that meant I was behind them or not but the wait was about 15 minutes although there were dozens of empty tables. A lack of hospitality was evident in other employee encounters. Both the Texan Station and Riverwalk Cafe were very noisy and crowded and the food was cafeteria quality and expensive. When I got the Texas size bill for our 2 night stay I felt a bit ripped-off. No desire to go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family