“Very Nice!”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Appleton, WI
“Very Nice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2005

My husband and myself stayed at the Gaylord for a conference he was attending August 2-7. Our expenses were paid for by the conference so I cannot comment too extensively on the prices. Our room was an oversized standard room with an exterior view. Very nicely appointed with very tasteful furnishings and nice linens. Much nicer than an average hotel room. A previous review mentioned that they did not think Lake Grapevine was within walking distance, but I could clearly see boats in the marina just out of the window in our room.

Most of our meals were eaten with large groups for the conference, I must say that the food was excellent. Desserts to die for. We did eat one evening on our own at the Texas Station in the resort and again the food was very good and reasonably priced. Some of the other restaurants in the resort were very pricey.

Overall the resort itself it just lovely. Wonderfully decorated and maintained. I have an eye for small details and they certainly did not overlook the small details when they built and decorated this resort.

We did use the workout facility on several occasions and found it to be adequately equiped although very busy at times. And as for the very small pool that was mentioned in previous review, I agree it could be larger but I will say it never was overly crowded when I was lounging poolside.

The only drawback that I can say was that the resort itself is some what isolated from Grapevine, Dallas and Fort Worth. They do offer complementary shuttle serice into Grapevine and to the Grapevine Mills Mall. We ended up renting a car for a day to drive into Dallas and Fort Worth as this was our first trip to Texas and we wanted to see more than just the Gaylord. Overall, a very nice stay at a very very nice resort.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank happytraveler,46

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,110)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Madison, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2005

Honestly, I think that you get what you pay for at this hotel. I was impressed with the courtesy for the staff and the general cheerful mood. The hotel was impressive without being overbearing (unlike the Nashville Gaylord). I was a member of a conference and the meeting facilities were very nice. Probably some of the best I have seen.

For those that complained about the cost of food. This is a valid concern, but I found the food to be very high quality with very large portions. (I am a bit of a food snob, but I was never disappointed.) The price of drinks at the bars was a bit steeper than normal, but hotel bars usually are. The wine shop was a wonderful experience as the attendant prepared a couple of glasses of wine for us with a cheese dried fruit tray. I am still dreaming about the blue cheese. The cafe has very good coffee drinks made to order and the tables overlooking the "river" running through the atrium.

My room was a "Texas" king room with an atrium view that I think is a mid-priced room. I had marble bathroom, very nice linens, robe, slippers, and a balcony overlooking the atrium. I felt the room was one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in and it had turndown service every night. Probably not the best for small children, but I would think very romantic for a couple. My rate was $160 a night.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank Detarica
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2005

I will admit that the resort itself is beautiful. I was in awe when I walked inside and got my first look at the atrium. It took quite a while for me not to feel so overwhelmed. The room was very clean and check in/out was very simple. We were supposed to have a room with 2 queen beds (because that was all the reservations person could find), but when we got there they were able to put us into a King bed with atrium view. If you don't get an atrium view, you are indeed looking at the parking lot. I discovered they charge a $10 "resort fee" which is basically for two "free" bottles of water and a newspaper. You also have to pay $18 for valet parking. You can park yourself, but you'll walk forever trying to get back into the front door. We took an icechest because we had been at several hotels in the dallas area for our stay and were not wanting to leave it in the truck. We were told by the bellman that the managers would confiscate it if they were to see it. Evidently they aren't allowed in the resort. The pool is definitely too small for the size of the resort. Everytime I went down there, it was so crowded it felt clostrophobic. The food was great, but just way overpriced. As we were leaving we discovered that you can visit the resort during the day and eat at the restaurants, but don't have to be a guest in one of the rooms. It will be a great place to visit and take our kids to see how "neat" it is, but we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2005

We live in the area and this was our second stay at the Gaylord Texan. We booked the SummerFest package which included self-parking, the resort fee and breakfast for 2 adults/2 kids at the Riverwalk Cafe for a reasonable price - not cheap but reasonable compared to their regular prices. My kids weren't happy that all the atrium rooms were full but our room did have a nice view of the lake. We ate dinner at the Texan Station which was more expensive than the same type of restaurant would be elsewhere but considering we didn't have to go out in the heat (over 100 degrees), it was worth the slight extra expense. Our server was very friendly and gave us two parking passes to use in the future (he asked if we were locals). Being able to walk around on their beautiful property in air conditioned, bug free comfort is wonderful!

I do agree that the outside swimming pool is too small for such a large resort and the hot tub/whirlpool is ridiculously small and overrun by kids. This is the only area of the hotel that I think needs major improvement.

We knew this was a resort with resort pricing (do your homework before you go!) and we used this as a mini getaway to treat ourselves.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank jogom
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2005

We were not pleased with the serivice we got here. First they messed up our reservations. We asked the bell person for where a certain restaurant was and he did not know and made up the info of where it was located. Then we had to get new keys to get into our room on a second day there. They told us we needed a voucher to eat breakfast and we did not need one , they never even asked us for one but made a big deal about it at the front desk. It was like one person never knew what the other person was doing. Alot of disorganization ! They are a three star hotel with five star prices. They have the property of a five star hotel but the personnel of a three star hotel. We would not stay there again. Maybe if the service changed we would think about it!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#5 of 201 in Dallas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,073 reviews

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!