We stayed here for a couple of nights while my husband was in town for business. The concept is great - neat layout and design. However the food and beverage outlets greatly need to improve (as does the Gaylord in Nashville where I stayed in January - see separate review). Our first night's dinner was in the Italian restaurant. We were promptly seated - and it was later in the evening- but we noticed a large table next to us calling over the manager to complain about something. Being in the hospitality business I didn't pay too much attention as big groups are often a challenge with so many dynamics. We ordered a cocktail to start while we reviewed the wine list. The initial arrival time of our cocktails seemed to take as long as 15 minutes - which is way too long considering the rush had already passed. When the waiter finally returned with our drinks, we went ahead and placed our food order as well as selected a bottle of wine. Our first course came out timely enough, but as we finished our drinks, the waiter never brought the bottle of wine. Someone else cleared our plates, and still no waiter and no wine and no water. Another 15 minutes go by until we can flag him down and request he bring the wine - and he looks at us dumbfounded like why would we want our bottle of wine before entrees. During this time we notice another table close to us has called over the manager to complain - this time we could hear it was about the horrible service.
We finally received our entrees (which were surprisingly good) and our wine but left feeling frustrated. However we ended up going to the Glass Cactus and had a great time listening to a fantastic dance band.
The next day was Father's Day and we just wanted to go down to the Mexican restaurant for breakfast/ brunch. We walked up at 10:35 and were told the restaurant was closed until 11am to turn it from a la carte service to a buffet. Never mind the big sign in the lobby that said breakfast was served until 11am. But anyway - we put our names on the list, requested a table by the water and were told it would be 20-25 minutes and they would text when the table was ready. We made sure not to stray too far - because at 11am, still no text. They start seating people, many tables still open, still nothing. Now it's 11:20 - almost an hour later from when we came down for breakfast (and this is the ONLY full service restaurant opened for breakfast) and we still aren't sat. When I go for the 2nd time to the hostess stand, they tell me we are next and it's another 10 minutes - meanwhile numerous tables are open. They finally seat us in the back, not by the water - and when we tell her that we requested one of those tables she said they had been reserved by other people. We sat at them anyway, got a decent server but she was clearly in the weeds with tables all over the venue, not just her station. So perhaps they were understaffed overall - but it's Father's Day, they weren't really on a wait, so as a management team - figure it out.
Later that day at the pool - regular pool, not the big waterpark, our poolside waiter was very good and attentive.
Service in the sports bar was fine - we had a good time watching the nba finals. Kids aren't allowed in the main part after 7 but they have an "outdoor" patio that made it fun.
For the big WATERPARK on property - it's nice but not huge - and not very crowded ironically. Again ordered a drink and the waiter didn't come check on us for over an hour - not because he was busy with guests but busy hanging with co-workers.
We really liked the property but since the "pull" of the resort is that everything is there and you don't have to leave, I'm not sure we would stay again until we could be assured the service issues were fixed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You'll arrive at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center through a ranch-style archway surrounded by rolling pastureland. Along the way, rugged canyon walls rise steadily to frame your first glimpse of the breathtaking Grapevine, Texas hotel. Sitting high on a bluff overlooking the glistening waters of Lake Grapevine, just eight minutes from DFW International Airport, this awe-inspiring resort welcomes you to an authentic Texas experience. From the colorful Riverwalk and wide-open Texas Hill Country to the aura of Southwest-style architecture and the majestic Rio-Grande, its all here under our signature glass dome. Here, we offer state-of-the-art convention and meeting facilities, endless entertainment, World-class spa & fitness center, lavish guest rooms and our tradition of unsurpassed hospitality. Everything in on place so you can have it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gaylord Texan Resort And Convention Center
- Gaylord Texan Hotel Grapevine
- Gaylord Texas Resort
- Gaylord Texas Hotel
- The Gaylord Texan
- Gaylord Texan Grapevine
- Gaylord Texan Resort Convention Center
- Gaylord Grapevine