“Bright lights, awful nights”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Dalton, Georgia
“Bright lights, awful nights”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The atrium and grounds are exceptionally manicured and offer a nice atmosphere. The resort has a few pools, restaurants, shops, a night club, and a convention center. The service was fair, but not to the level it should have been for a place of that caliber. The sundry shop was outlandishly priced, IE 3 oz of potato chips for $4.99. Parking is $18/night and you have to walk a pretty good distance which gets old with several in and out trips.
The part that was awful was everything to do with the room involving sleep. The beds were not comfortable and the pillows had no body. The music in the atrium was loud until around 11 pm. The walls were paper thin. We could understand every word that was being said by our neighbors. In addition to our loud neighbors and their child whining, the elevator noise kept me awake all night long. We were 4 rooms away and could still hear it loud and clear. I usually sleep very well in hotels but I got about a combined 5 hours of sleep in two nights. My wife and I were there for a conference and if we have to return to this conference, we will be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the atrium side or near an elevator if you want any sleep.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sambrown50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,119)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The facility is very nice and the staff is very courteous and helpful. However, the parking fees are outrageous (even self park) and everything there is VERY expensive. Just take lots of cash with you and you'll be fine and broke at the end of the stay.

Room Tip: Get a map when you check in or you'll be lost.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2013

my wife and I went for a weekend getaway for her birthday (Sept 15, 2013). We had an awesome time. The hotel staff were very courteous, friendly and knowledgeable about hotel events,attractions and locations of places on property. I want to thank the hotel staff especially Lobby check in staff person Wilmer Murphy. He was very knowledgeable about hotel attractions and locations. He made us feel very welcome. Thank you sir and Thank you Gaylordtexan for a fun weekend.
Satisfied guest.....

• Stayed September 2013
Meridian, MS
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Ok this is my second visit to the Gaylord Texan and the only reason I'm here is for a convention. Both times I had issues when checking in. I don't understand not having the right room available when I got here at 5pm and checkout is at 11am.
Also the first night I kept hearing this annoying sound similar to a crotch rocket revving up outside. I finally pinpointed the source of the annoying sound. It was the elevators! Every single time the elevators moved you could hear the motor and I was 3 rooms down! I can't imagine being in the room next to it!
And what's with the hidden resort fees? $15 plus tax for what? Internet and two bottles of water? Im a platinum marriott member so I'm suppose to get free internet anyways. And $17 a night to park our own car? I'm sorry. The Gaylord Texan is beautiful but it's very overpriced for what you get.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed one night for 25th anniversary. Huge place; atrium gives feeling of being outside without the heat or humidity. Lots to walk around and see, and we didn't even get to the pools. Enjoyed a very good (and expensive) steak dinner.

Only gripe is that in the morning, my wife was looking forward to having her morning coffee in the room, but when she opened the Keurig machine to put the coffee in, a bunch of ants came crawling out. So we had to walk over to the coffee shop & pay for a mediocre cup there. Told a couple of employees & they promised to get it fixed; good for the next guests, I suppose.

One last comment: The woman playing piano & singing in the lobby was excellent! Very good pianist, and good voice, too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Longview, Texas
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Gaylord Texan this weekend. We have been to many of the upper-end hotels in the DFW area. This is one of the most beautiful, nicest hotels we have been in in this area. It is gorgeous from the first moment you drive onto the property, walk into the beautiful spacious lobby, through the atrium and into the room. We had an atrium view on the top floor. The room was first class, top quality furnishings, average size and very well appointed. The bed was very comfortable. Flat screen TV with movies available to purchase. Refrigerator with 2 bottles of water. The bathroom is divided into 2 rooms with first room containing 2 sinks, makeup mirror and stool. The shower and toilet were in a separate room with beautiful tile. Everything in the room looked brand new. There is even a very small balcony with 2 chairs so you can look down at the atrium. Pictures don't do the atrium justice. It has to be seen to get the full effect. With all the water, walkways, plants and flowers, it just has to be seen. There is a full service spa, shopping, 2 coffee shops, and several 5 star restaurants. Every where we looked, it was very, very clean. There is a daily resort fee(per room, not person) and you pay for self parking or valet but we knew this before we got there. Great job here Marriott!

Room Tip: Atrium view is a must. Ask for a room up high!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I was expecting so much more in this hotel experience. Check in was very busy as I imagine it normally is on a Friday evening around 5:00pm. The back up to get our luggage was at an hours wait to have it brought to our room but the bell station manager told us we could take it ourselves. We thought no problem. We took the cart and started for the room only to be stopped by a bellman and told we were not allowed to do that. My husband told him to get his story straight since we had just been told it would be ok for us to take our own luggage. We kept going on to the room. The room was very nice but the walls are thin. We were in a back corner room and could watch the fireworks from our window. That was nice but the crying baby next door was not.
The inside of the Texan is beautiful and resembles many Texas iconic landmarks such as The Alamo, Big Bend, the Riverwalk, and the Hill Country. However, once you've toured the facilities, it is a let down. There is nothing to do. We went to the pool the next day. It was an even bigger let down. My neighborhood pool is bigger than the pool at the Texan. There was not near enough pool space. People were wandering around looking for a place to sit and a place to put their belongings and lay out in the sun. The square footage of this hotel is huge. They need to invest in more pool acreage. I suggest an Adults only pool area for those who are trying to have a child free weekend.

We went to the Paradise Springs water park on Saturday evening during the dinner rush. It was a good choice and not crowded. I was disappointed in this water park. It was very small and half of it had to be closed due to a toddler pooping in the lagoon. Since this was the pool where the zip line and the only water slide were located, that left the lazy river as the only option. It is only 600 feet in length and became
very crowded due to the closing of the only other pool. I understand the need to chemically treat the other pool but this "park" needs some more pool areas. You need a swim up bar and some type of separate toddler area with some obstacle course type things for the kids. A splash pad area would be fun for the kids as well.

Overall, this place was nothing more than a pricy let down.

Room Tip: The rooms that overlook the atrium are very noisy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christiejones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#4 of 203 in Dallas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,220 reviews

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!