“Feels like you're in a bubble!”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed May 12, 2008

This hotel is enclosed in a dome and gives the feeling of being outdoors with the streams and greenery. It almost feels like being at Disneyland or Vegas.

The hotel is located near the airport but far from any other destinations. It's about a 30 min drive to Dallas. This location is fine for business but I would not stay here for pleasure.

There are several restaurants and a cafe so that you actually don't have to leave. But after my business meetings ended, it was a bit boring so I ended up taking an expensive cab ride to Dallas.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly. There is an indoor and outdoor pool. The gym is a bit small but has basic equipment,

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed May 5, 2008

This place is only close to the airport and okay for a night or two if you are on business, at convention, or similar. Well maintained common areas. Not a large resort so after you have walked around a couple of times you feel like you are in a fishbowl. Rooms are average, but quiet and bed was comfortable. Restaurants are middle of the road so don't expect any great cuisine. The pools are average, but fitness facility is very nice. This is not a family place and if you have to stay for longer than 2 nights, rent a car so you can escape someplace.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank JoeVirginia
Reviewed April 4, 2008

Beautiful property, well maintained. Clearly a destination for a conference only. My family traveled with me and there are very few activities for children. The typical resorts we usually stay at have an offering of activities for our child, however this had none and furthermore the pools provided were not impressive. If you are traveling here for a conference, it will fit the purpose well.

I would not necessarily recommend coming here with the family. Consider the resort across the street called the Great Wolf Lodge, if you are traveling here to Dallas and are bringing your family. Resort fees were normal and expected for resort stays. Parking is $12.00 per day for self-park with unlimited in and out.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 2, 2008

I stayed at the Gaylord for a convention paid for by my employer. When I travel privately, I stay at low to midpriced places like Holiday Inn Express, etc; where I get free breakfast, free internet, free local calls, free parking, etc. The Gaylord is a shock to the system. I paid a $190 per night "special rate" for the convention, with no included breakfast, no free internet, no free local calls, no free parking. The mandatory extra $20 per day "resort fee" got me two bottles of water per day, the first 20 minutes of local and 800 number calls at "no additional charge" and wireless internet that I could not access outside of the room. Wow.
We all have to eat, so I checked out the 24 hour coffee shop for something, presumably, low in price. How about $9 for a cold sandwhich and $1.50 for a banana. Want to head into town for cheaper fare? A 5 minute shuttle ride to the center of Grapevine will set you back $12. Oh, and there is no free shuttle to and from the airport. Again, another $12 please, each way.
The room was good and clean and the staff attentive. However, I've had exactly the same room and service for half the price at either the Holiday Inn or the Hampton Inn.
On the plus side the Gaylord does have a nice ambiance with a huge indoor area under a glass dome, an indoor creek and a "riverwalk" similar to the San Antonio landmark. Service was top notch. When I complained about the in-room safe not working, security and maintenace came up in 10 minutes and replaced the safe.
Check-in and check-out were quick.
Overall, the Gaylord is nice but not for the casual traveler. Go only if someone else is picking up the tab.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Haido M
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Nice hotel, interesting large courtyard under a large glass dome. This gives an outdoor feel while controlling the temperature somewhat. The room had 2 queen beds and a writing desk but no useable sitting chair which would have been nice.
Service by staff was average, long wait at bag check for example, room not made up apparently because I was in my room working between 9AM and 11AM. I was here for a meeting.
Everything is expensive, ,which is fairly common. There is a $16/day mandatory resort fee for internet access and two bottles of water.
Overall, nice for a meeting. It wouldn't be a destination for me.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 26, 2008

The Gaylord Texan is an impressive conference hotel with an amazing atrium inside with a river running through it. The atrium rooms are nicely appointed with balconies overlooking the interior scape. However, be prepared to pay a premium price to stay there! The Riverwalk Restaurant is the resort's more casual restaurant offering buffet style dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My spouse and I took my parents who are seniors to Easter Brunch here and were somewhat disappointed in the reception we received when we tried to show up for hour reservation made weeks before for the brunch. The greeting hostesses were unprofessional and disorganized. Finally,
after much consternation, our party was seated at our table
by the riverside(which I had requested also weeks before).
The host/manager tried to give us a table inside the restaurant with zero ambiance for our special occasion meal despite
my having confirmed our reservation earlier that day and the day before while staying at the hotel. The buffet fare was a large spread but did not include many of the items promised when I made the reservation(like eggs benedict). All in all, it was a very pricey and somewhat unpleasant experience for me and my family. I have had better service and been treated better by the hostess at Denny's!

In contrast, the Old Hickory premium steakhouse at the Gaylord Texan was superb and world class. The filet mignon that I had there was one of the best I've ever had anywhere. The service and presentation was also excellent. This was a very expensive meal but worthy of the expense--unlike the Riverwalk Restaurant.

The rooms in the atrium have thin walls also. We slept well in the plushly appointed king sized bed but were awakened a couple of nights with noises nextdoor and in the hallway.
The bathroom vaniety was all marble and very roomy. The maid service at the hotel was like having your own personal housekeeper. She cleaned up so well that my spouse and I both felt like we were really being attended to. She straightened up our belongings like my own mother would have done! Very
stellar service.

The valet service was $24 dollars a day for unlimited in and outs
for our car. That was rather high. There was also a $15 a day resort fee for newspapers and 2 bottles of water. That was a bit much for the value that we got. In room pay per view movies were $12.95/movie. It all adds up fast!

The whole experience at the resort was fun but expensive the four nights that we stayed at the Gaylord. If you have kids along,
I recommend the Great Wolf Lodge just a block or two away
in Grapevine. It's brand new and the kids love the huge indoor waterpark. Eat somewhere else though. The food at the GWL's is not that good and it's expensive. Bring breakfast for the kids to hhave in the room.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2008

We stayed there in December and in March received an e-mail inviting us back. The rate was okay so we decided to stop there on our way to Arkansas. When I made the reservation, I asked for a king but when we arrived to our room, there were two doubles. I called the lobby and we were given another room without any problems. It is a nice place to stay but I would reccomend you stay there at Christmas when the decor is up. It was beautiful and ICE is a great attraction for your kiddos. Eating there can be pricey, but there are a zillion places to eat outside of the property. The workout facility was nice.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Hilton Anatole
#35 of 206 in Dallas
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#4 of 206 in Dallas

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!