“Nice family hotel with grown up amenities”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We have just spent 3 nights at the Gaylord Texan. We received a room upgrade to an executive suite, which was great.

The hotel is clearly aimed at conventions, it is huge. The rooms have balconies that face the interior of the large enclosed space. The ceiling is a glass dome so light does filter into the space. However, the rooms with an atrium view do not have a window with any natural light, which was disconcerting after a couple of nights, which is why I gave this 4 stars.

Our room was very nice and exceptionally quiet especially since the hotel is on the flight path for DFW and all the restaurants etc were below the room.

The property has an awesome sports bar with a 700 sq. ft. screen. There is an area which is 21 and over only, and unlike some places, the hotel enforces the policy.

We were in Texas to visit family, and took two kids and their parents to the water park. The kids had a great time. We rented a cabana which was really nice, it has a tv, safe, and dedicated server. There were a lot of extremely attentive lifeguards.

Yes, the prices for food and drinks are high, but no higher than one would expect given the nature and character of the hotel.

The room service function was very efficient, we only ordered the children's choices, and the portions were perfect.

The staff was attentive, pleasant and helpful, without exception.

It was a good visit we would go back perhaps requesting a room with a regular window.

Room Tip: If you want natural light don't get an atrium view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,273)

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I felt captive, and while the establishment was quite polished I did want to leave in order to explore and found it quite difficult (or very costly) to do so. This is definitely a self-contained environment, and I'm sure families with children of parents who want (and can afford) everything catered, including childcare at the indoor water park, would find this place perfect. For the rest of us, not so much.

The room was posh and looked to be newer or better kept than most. Linens were top quality; towels were of generous size, as was the bathroom; which had a separate entry for double-sinks and vanity. Soap products weren't the best, and it was tough to get a new bar of bath soap, but the facial soap was endless (lol).

Most often we had to prompt housekeeping into providing any services; and it wasn't simply because they care about the environment and want us to reuse towels and bedding - we were there for an entire week and we only saw them twice, both times we had to wrestle for face clothes and beg for shampoo!

The only issues I encountered were with reservations - they insisted they had to create two reservations because my room rate changed during the middle of my stay. I thought that lame...rates change all the time at hotels, and having two itineraries and two bills for business purposes was quite cumbersome.

Meals served for the summits (business conferences) were outstanding. Service was top notch; food was hot, fresh and very inviting. Breakfast buffet was plentiful and the fresh fruit was out of this world. So were the baked goods and of course, eggs, potatoes and sausage. Restaurant food was awesome but fairly expensive and with no way off the resort within reason, it became the only game in town.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This place must have cost a fortune to build because it is massive. It is a beautiful resort that sprawls over many, many acres over looking Lake Grapevine. I is close to many other attractions such as the Glass Cactus night club, Bass Pro Shops and Grapevine Mills Mall. The hotel has many restaurants and attractions inside.
Be forewarned, it is expensive. Parking is expensive too and if you leave for a while and come back, you'll have to pay the expensive parking rates twice!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Spent a few days on business - it was wonderful. The staff was attentive, the facility clean, the service impecible. I can't recommend it enough. Especially for business - but I know my kids would have loved the environment. 15 mins from Dallas/FW airport - you really can't go wrong with this facility! It's big but beautiful.

Room Tip: I might suggest a room on the "inside" - so much fun to see what's happening in the a...
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Great representation of "Refined Cowboy Chic". Each of the room buildings are different parts of Texas joined in the middle by an enclosed atrium. Restaurants, shops, and other things to do within mske this a wonderful resort that you won't have to leave. Even has a great water park on property. Close proximity to the airport and great Grapevine shopping.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have been coming to the Gaylord Texan for many years. This is the first trip to the hotel since Marriott took over the hotel. I noticed a difference the moment I walked into the hotel. Gone are the many flowers that blanketed the hotel in past years. The flowers are now few and only visible in main area. The spa area where I use to enjoy the steam room (after a long run) now there is a 30.00 daily charge. Seriously, I thought self parking was bad enough at 17.00 a day but I was use to that. The spa charge to use the steam room is the final straw. I will not be back to this hotel ever. It is a shame as we have made so many memories at the Gaylord Texan over the years. It is now time to find a new place with new memories.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank sammie088
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I spent a week here for business and the staff, room, and atrium were great. Lobby staff, room cleaning service, restaurant staff were warm, helpful, and hospitable.

The downsides. The price which I thought was too high. I guess it was to help pay for the atrium & what must be an enormous heating/cooling bill. The food was average hotel quality. I ate at the Riverwalk Cantina twice, once for dinner and again for breakfast. I had an expensive omelet that wasn't as good as my local Waffle House or IHOP. I do have to say that food from Texan Station (sports bar) was good. Everyone at the table enjoyed their meals. I did run across a rude cashier at the Gift Shop.