“Nice facility, average rooms and service”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Nice hotel, interesting large courtyard under a large glass dome. This gives an outdoor feel while controlling the temperature somewhat. The room had 2 queen beds and a writing desk but no useable sitting chair which would have been nice.
Service by staff was average, long wait at bag check for example, room not made up apparently because I was in my room working between 9AM and 11AM. I was here for a meeting.
Everything is expensive, ,which is fairly common. There is a $16/day mandatory resort fee for internet access and two bottles of water.
Overall, nice for a meeting. It wouldn't be a destination for me.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (4,243)

Reviewed March 26, 2008

The Gaylord Texan is an impressive conference hotel with an amazing atrium inside with a river running through it. The atrium rooms are nicely appointed with balconies overlooking the interior scape. However, be prepared to pay a premium price to stay there! The Riverwalk Restaurant is the resort's more casual restaurant offering buffet style dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My spouse and I took my parents who are seniors to Easter Brunch here and were somewhat disappointed in the reception we received when we tried to show up for hour reservation made weeks before for the brunch. The greeting hostesses were unprofessional and disorganized. Finally,
after much consternation, our party was seated at our table
by the riverside(which I had requested also weeks before).
The host/manager tried to give us a table inside the restaurant with zero ambiance for our special occasion meal despite
my having confirmed our reservation earlier that day and the day before while staying at the hotel. The buffet fare was a large spread but did not include many of the items promised when I made the reservation(like eggs benedict). All in all, it was a very pricey and somewhat unpleasant experience for me and my family. I have had better service and been treated better by the hostess at Denny's!

In contrast, the Old Hickory premium steakhouse at the Gaylord Texan was superb and world class. The filet mignon that I had there was one of the best I've ever had anywhere. The service and presentation was also excellent. This was a very expensive meal but worthy of the expense--unlike the Riverwalk Restaurant.

The rooms in the atrium have thin walls also. We slept well in the plushly appointed king sized bed but were awakened a couple of nights with noises nextdoor and in the hallway.
The bathroom vaniety was all marble and very roomy. The maid service at the hotel was like having your own personal housekeeper. She cleaned up so well that my spouse and I both felt like we were really being attended to. She straightened up our belongings like my own mother would have done! Very
stellar service.

The valet service was $24 dollars a day for unlimited in and outs
for our car. That was rather high. There was also a $15 a day resort fee for newspapers and 2 bottles of water. That was a bit much for the value that we got. In room pay per view movies were $12.95/movie. It all adds up fast!

The whole experience at the resort was fun but expensive the four nights that we stayed at the Gaylord. If you have kids along,
I recommend the Great Wolf Lodge just a block or two away
in Grapevine. It's brand new and the kids love the huge indoor waterpark. Eat somewhere else though. The food at the GWL's is not that good and it's expensive. Bring breakfast for the kids to hhave in the room.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2008

We stayed there in December and in March received an e-mail inviting us back. The rate was okay so we decided to stop there on our way to Arkansas. When I made the reservation, I asked for a king but when we arrived to our room, there were two doubles. I called the lobby and we were given another room without any problems. It is a nice place to stay but I would reccomend you stay there at Christmas when the decor is up. It was beautiful and ICE is a great attraction for your kiddos. Eating there can be pricey, but there are a zillion places to eat outside of the property. The workout facility was nice.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2008

Awesome!!! This Hotel is very nice!!
I was here for a 5 day Church conference and the experience i thought was going to get sour after 2 days! And it didn't!!
Accomodations are a Plus, comforatble, the view was incredible out the room we had. The Hotel personel were very helpful like we always expect but the guys in the front entry doors greeting you was something I never expected! The entire 5 day stay was incredible! It was TEXAS!! BIG and GRAND!!

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed March 4, 2008

Once you've been to a Gaylord, you've been to them all...... Make no mistake, this is a conference hotel and Gaylord follows its own strategy: pick an isolated spot not too far from the airport, hold 3 thousand folks hostage under a bubble without inexpensive food options, and house them in nicely decorated but poorly constructed rooms so they get to know more about their neighbors than they ever dreamed possible, all while charging an extra daily resort fee for a newspaper and 2 bottles of water that may or may not arrive. Oh, and pipe in some cheesy thematic music 24/7 to set your teeth on edge. Truth be told the Gaylord Texan felt smaller and did not have nearly as interesting things to see under the bubble as the Gaylord Palms in Florida.

Conference services are good and the catered meals are excellent; I can't fault them there. But I resent $4.00 for a Coke when I buy it on my own at the coffee shop or $30-50 entrees for dinner because dining options are limited to begin with and sometimes limited further when a restaurant is closed to the public for a private event. Riverwalk Cafe was a nice buffet and at $18 that was a bargain.

We needed more hangers, more pillows, more water when we didn't receive our daily allotment. These requests were quickly accomodated.

Spa services were excellent but they start massages on the hour and facials on the half hour so they aren't very customer-oriented when 2 guests want services together.

The air ventilation system in the guest rooms is horrible in that it is impossible to keep the fan running to circulate air for any length of time; it is programmed to turn off. I am sure it is highly energy efficient for Gaylord but does not contribute to guest satisfaction. The minute the fan goes off the room feels stuffy and the fan doesn't run at all on the auto setting. This was the same situation as the Gaylord Palms.

In short, I would never choose to stay here. But if your conference is here you'll do OK; just bring earplugs, ask for whatever you need,and expect to spend a lot on food that is not provided as part of your conference.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Paige_Turner_Boston
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I stayed at the Gaylord during a conference that was held there. I had stayed in the Gaylord Nashville so I knew what to expect in regard to the enclosed "bubble" property. Though based on the Mother hotel it is not nearly as large. Overall the property is very nice especially for a Conference. There is no need to leave and it is easy to access the conference area. This is where I think the Gaylord excells. The conference area is enormous but well thought out. The catering was impressive. There was catering for breakfast, lunch, breaks and receptions every day and the food and service were expceptional. I had an outside room with a view of the parking lot. The room itself was very pleasant but I missed the bedspread and throw shown in all of the hotel pictures as my room had neither. It was also quite noisy especially when rowdy people were in the hallways. It felt as though they were right in the room and late at night it was disturbing. The service in general at the hotel is excellent. My only criticism is that since you are a captive, as the hotel is not close to anything, eating in the restaurants is very expensive and there are no economical choices. All in all it is a very nicely done property and great for a short stay.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2008

I have had a horrible post stay experience with this hotel. Upon check out, I noticed a charge for approximately $1000 from a fancy shop called Amelia's. It was not generated by me. They kindly said they would not charge me for it and printed a new bill. Low and behold, the charge showed up on my credit card statement. After about 6 calls to their Accounting department, they refuse to remove the charge. The funny thing is that I did not lose my hotel card at any time and I personally made one transaction at the downstairs coffee shop. This is the only way I could think of that someone would have known my room number and my name. I believe an employee scam occurred here and I will not be returning to this hotel EVER! I have disputed the transaction with my credit card company.

The lack of customer service I received in dealing with this problem has been non-existent.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business