“Very nice visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Bridgeport, West Virginia
“Very nice visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Was there for a conference. Checkin was a challange because rooms not available. But the over all experience was very good. Room was quiet and comfortable. The hotel was decorated very nice and Christmasy.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,101)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed recently while in Dallas for a Cowboys game. So the positives first: it's close to the airport, the Cowboys golf course, the outlet mall, and old town Grapevine. It has a huge atrium (I think someone told us its 4 acres) and it was beautifully decorated for Christmas. The entire hotel has beautiful finishes, including the rooms. We especially enjoyed the lobby are where there are two huge two sided fireplaces and lots of comfortable seating where you can hang out and have a glass of wine (Silver Bar is right next door). All of the staff were friendly and inviting. Our room looked out on the atrium and had a small balcony with room for two. Bathrooms were average size, bath tub/shower combo; no drawers, just a couple small cubby holes and not much counter space though there were two sinks. We has the Game Day Package so they transported us via bus to the game. It's a 50 minute ride so be prepared for that. They also have shuttles that will take you to the outlet mall, glass cactus, downtown etc gratis though they don't seem to run on a specific schedule. If you don't want to wait for a shuttle they also have transportation standing by that will take you most places for about $15 and pick you back up when you're ready.
Now for the negatives: the service there was TERRIBLE. Our safe didn't work so we called guest services and asked them to fix it. They didn't come for hours. We actually finally left for 3 hours, after waiting for over an hour, and they still hadnt come when we came back. After calling again they finally did come, couldn't fix it and said they would replace it which they did 24 HOURS LATER! I had also called down and requested they send hairspray up which they never did send despite a repeat call THE NEXT DAY. They actually have a smiley face button on the phone that is for their guest services which was a running joke with my husband and I since the service was so bad. The food at the Cantina was terrible and its the only place you can get a hot breakfast other than room service. The room service breakfast menu is actually better and the food was better than the Cantina. And it was in our room in less than 30 minutes. The food at the Texas Station was over priced and under quality. The only place we ate that was worth the price was the Old Hickory Steakhouse. Amazing food and quality service. Good wine selection; they had the 2012 wine of the year (Shafer Relentless). The hotel was overrun with kids. They some kind of deal that includes a bunch of activities for kids during the Xmas season so not only do lots of families stay there buts lots of locals come for the day. They also have the ice sculpture exhibit in the convention center which is a hige draw. If you want an adult atmosphere, don't go there during the Xmas season. There are 1500 rooms so do the math. There was probably 10,000 kids run amok there. We didn't fly out until late on Monday somozt of the dmilies were gone and it wasn't such a zoo. It was also noisy in our room. Interestingly enough, it wasn't noise from the atrium; once you close the balcony doors you don't hear that noise but you hear lots of noise from the hallway and literally EVERYTHING from the rooms on either side of yours. It was terrible. And those people were t being overly loud, the rooms just aren't soundproofed at all. All in all, we thought it was overpriced and very disappointing. We would never stay there again it refer anyone.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Luv2Travel4Golf
GaylordTexanFeedback, Manager at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We take reviews like this very seriously, and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you.

Please contact us directly, and we will be happy to review the details of your experiences.

Thank you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Our stay was amazing from the first look. Check in was a little lengthy but there were alot of components that had to be aligned. We stayed with the lone star christmas package. We traveled with young kids (3 and 8m) Everyone had a blast. The Shrek Feast was my daughter's favorite she asked the next day if we could go back. It is on the pricey side but you have to consider the money put into decorating and the roving entertainers. It was a great experience!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel for my birthday and I was very pleased with the service and ambience . The room was spacious (I stayed in a Suite) and it was great that there was not too much noise in our section of the hotel .The hotel was decorated with Texas city themes and there is nothing like it here in the entire state of Texas! The mattress was comfortable and
the rooms were very clean and well designed with a contemporary flair.
There are a wide variety of restaurants offered in the hotel along with
great bars and gift shops and a spa on the premises.
I would highly recommend this hotel for any business associates or friends and family I know.
It overlooks grapevine lake and also is centrally located and close to the airport if one is travelling from out of town. I definitely would revisit this hotel .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed at this Gaylord hotel over the Thanksgiving weekend. It is an absolutely incredible property and their Christmas decorations are fantastic. We also enjoyed the Thanksgiving buffet which was over the top and incredibly good too. The Gaylord Hotels just became a Marriott property so if you can stay there using points you'll save a lot. We ate in three of their restaurants there (the Italian, Mexican and Sports Bar)- all very good but expensive. Their huge sport bar has a projection screen measuring 15' x 52'. A great place to watch a game. It was a memorable weekend. If nothing else you should go there just to see the Christmas decorations.

Room Tip: If you are a Marriott member, use the separate check-in line hidden a little beyond the normal check...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Shreveport, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed at the Gaylord while attending a sales meeting this week and my group didn't leave the property for our entire stay. First off the Gaylord Transportation services to and from the hotel were top notch. I booked it through the website and had smooth service from pick-up at baggage claim, to drop off at ticketing upon departure. Our driver Frank really went the extra mile to pick me up in one terminal and then drove to another on the other side of the airport to pick-up my colleague. On the return trip the staff allowed me to move up my drop off time when our meeting finished earlier and allowed us to add to others to reservation.

The rooms were average, fairly well maintained and cleaned. The bathroom had a vanity with two separate sinks and the shower and toilet were separated from the vanity. As others have mentioned there is no ventilation fan so be prepared and don't take a hot shower. Overall the noise level wasn't bad. I was on the 8th floor in the Lone Star rooms about three doors down from the elevator and really only heard noise in the early morning when people were leaving their rooms. My room also faced out to the parking lots so I can't comment on noise from the atrium. On the last morning of my stay, I did have a rude neighbor who either was out of the room or passed out as the phone rang off and on for nearly 45mins which I assumed was an unanswered wake-up call.

The property itself was nicely decorated for the holidays although I spent the majority of my time in the meeting rooms. The meeting rooms were well stocked with refreshments and insulated enough that we didn't hear the meeting agendas of the other groups next door. Food (breakfast and lunch) was adequate and beverage service was prompt. We also ate at the restaurants on the property for dinner on two nights and had a reception in the atrium in the Mission Plaza area. Dinner at the steakhouse was excellent and was the highlight of dining at the Gaylord. I highly recommend the filet mignon.

I would also say that for the most part the resort is fairly well marked in terms of how to get around the property. I had no trouble finding my room from the lobby, finding the meeting rooms or the fitness center (which by the way is well equipped with great cardio machines, weights and exercise balls and is clean and well-maintained). However, I did have trouble getting to one of the restaurants from my room when the signs just stopped listing it on the routes.

Good place for a conference when you don't need to leave the property for dinner or entertainment at night and the rooms and service were better than many hotels I've stayed at for other conferences.

Room Tip: Lone Star rooms are well situated if you are attending conferences in the meeting rooms or conventio...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Palestine, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

As a recently Marriott affiliated resort the hotel staff needs a little more training in the Marriott way of customer relations. The room was very nice. The restaurants had wonderful food and service. The Christmas decorations with the variety of trees and model trains was entertaining.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#5 of 200 in Dallas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,945 reviews

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!