“Staff - Above and Beyond...and even Below!”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
USA
“Staff - Above and Beyond...and even Below!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I visited the Gaylord Texan at a recent conference. The hotel was great as the Gaylords are. They think of all the amenities. It is a pricey place to stay, so be prepared. When you travel for business though, it is a lovely place to stay. While we were there there was a tornado warning which was rather frightening, but the Gaylord staff were incredible as they evacuated everyone down into the tunnels under the convention center/hotel. They brought around water and provided all of the hospitality that you would expect if you were upstairs in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,110)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here for our 5 yr. anniversary in October. We are from the area so have been to the hotel many times for holiday events, but this was our first time to actually stay. We did the Anniversary weekend buy one night get one night free. They still sock it to ya for parking...$27 a night i think for valet, and supposedly self is free...but we were lazy and didnt want to walk! We did the Lone Star Atrium View...we liked the little balcony you get with the atrium view as opposed to windows. We lucked out and had a corner room, which gave us more space. We stayed with another couple, and our reservations were supposed to be linked together so our rooms would be close....of course that didn't happen. They were supposedly in the same type of room as us, but it was a lot smaller. Not sure if that was because we had a corner, or they lied to them about their room type. Forget being able to have a fun time in your room if it goes past 10:00, because you will start getting noise complaints. We got one on a Friday night, before 11:00. I was a little surprised at that. The gym is ok...not as big as I thought it was going to be, but a treadmill is a treadmill! They did have a few weight machines and free weights also. Texan Station is a good place to watch a game, but the drink prices are RIDICULOUS! All in all a nice stay, just some minor frustrations!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are bigger
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dooley4556
dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

When i stayed at the Gaylord Texan, I expected a super fantastic week-end. However, I was a little disappointed in the whole experience. Arriving at the front of the hotel, there is NO place to park to check in. You have to park in the parking garage, which is quite a way from the front lobby. Then, carrying your luggage and everything else that you are taking (gifts, purse, camera, etc.), and walking back to the lobby(approximately 2-3 blocks) is not my idea of a great start! Once inside, standing in line for about 20 minutes, waiting to check in, having lots of people with children push past you and then, finally getting to the desk to check in, was a complete nightmare. Once in the room, which needed a tour guide to find the elevatior, it was just ok. Nothing special. It was neat and clean, but, for some reason, I was expecting something very elegant and nice. It has a Disney quality about it, but not the service or familiarity that Disney has. Overall, i guess you could say this was just OK.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank yahkeh
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed at the Gaylord Texan for business. This, like other Gaylord Hotels, a closed environment that contains everything you would need during your stay. I checked in and did not go outside until I checked out. The meeting rooms are nice and the food provided is good. The restaurants are good. The rooms are decent - very typical clean rooms with nothing special to make you want to come back. I have stayed here twice in two different locations and both rooms were dark. The spa was very nice and I enjoyed a wonderful massage.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Panama City, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed at the Gaylord Texan Resort for two nights attending a conference there. I was impressed by the size of the facility, which was Disney-esque, and I found the room to be clean and comfortable. The mattress was firm, room was quiet, bathroom had enough space, etc.

However, the service left a lot to be desired. I recently reviewed a much lower price range hotel with service that was much better than what I found here. In my three days at the Gaylord, nobody called me by my name (or even tried), zero smiles, no effort to help (and believe me, you might need a tour guide to find the right elevator to get to your room on the first day), late room service (I had to call housekeeping when I returned from 7 am to 4 pm conference on a weekday and found room was not cleaned yet).

An additional point- the hotel is isolated in its own space (seems like the Dallas area is all spread out over miles and miles of driving, flat landscape (but that's another story)), so if you want to go anywhere, you will need to rely on the hotel's drivers, who are courteous and punctual, but expensive too (hotel might consider a discounted approach, but I suspect they don't mind keeping you on their property during your stay- and in defense of the hotel, there are excellent restaurants and entertainment on the property if you choose to stay).

Overall a "4.5" for the structure (beautiful atrium, amazing trains, great sports bars/ wine bar, dining options, and very good fitness facility), a "2.5" for service, and hence a "3.5" overall. If I stay in this area again, I will consider alternative options, but I would not completely rule this hotel out (will need to price shop, and weigh what matters to you).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Great place to have fun and relax while you do business. My wife and stayed here during one week and while I was doing business she was relaxing and recharging her batteries. Very nice restaurants, walkways, waterways, bridges, and gardens. In addition, it's close to the attractions of Forth Worth and Dallas.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Valdery J
Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

The restaurants, walkways, waterways, and bridges make the environment romantic, but it's also a fun space for kids to explore. This makes a great headquarters for a getaway, since it's a very short drive from Grapevine to Fort Worth and Dallas. The rooms are due for an update, especially since the rates are quite high.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the large atrium cost more, but they offer a much more spectacular view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Willow S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#5 of 201 in Dallas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,079 reviews

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!